Restricted Diets: How To Make Flax Eggs

Post image for Restricted Diets: How To Make Flax Eggs

This post is part of our restricted diet series from Beth of Tasty Yummies.

Flax “eggs” are an easy substitute in most recipes calling for just one or two eggs. They’re a great option for vegans and those allergic to eggs. However, you don’t have to be vegan or allergic to benefit from this great substitution! Flax seeds are a nutritional powerhouse and sneaking some into baked goods is an simple way to get some of their wonderful nutrients into your diet.

Flax seed eggs “bind.” They do not add lift or fluff as eggs would in some recipes, say for a sponge cake or a souffle. I have had pretty great luck using flax seed eggs in most baked goods that call for two eggs or less, like breads, muffins, oatmeal cookies or pancakes, plus they are great in homemade veggie burgers. To make flax seed eggs you you just need a grinder like a Magic Bullet or coffee/spice grinder for grinding the raw, whole flax seeds to a meal. You can buy already ground flax seed meal, but it is much more expensive than just doing it yourself.

Flax seeds are rich sources of the essential fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), a precursor to the omega-3 fatty acids. In comparison to regular eggs, flax eggs are packed with nutrition, including B vitamins, vitamin E, and important minerals such as manganese, potassium, calcium and iron. Each one even has two grams of fiber. They have no cholesterol and are very low in sodium. A flax seed egg has half the calories of a large chicken egg and much less fat — no saturated fat and half the total fat of an egg. Besides using flax seeds to make an egg replacement you can also enjoy the health benefits of flax seed by mixing it into your oatmeal or smoothies, it is great as a topping on yogurt or ice cream or added to baked goods like bread or muffins.

flax seed egg replacer

Flax Egg Replacer

Yields one “egg”

1 tablespoon flax seed meal

3 tablespoons lukewarm water

If you are starting with whole flax seed to prepare the flax seed meal, simply grind some flax seeds in a coffee grinder or magic bullet. Measure after grinding.

Place the flax seed meal in a bowl and add water, stirring/whisking as you go and place in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes to allow the egg to set. Allow to stand until thick, gelatinous and egg-like. Use in baking as you would one egg. Make in larger batches and store in the refrigerator for up to one week.

flax seed egg replacer

NOTES:

- If you don’t want the dark color from the brown seeds, look for golden flax seeds.

- If you do buy pre-ground flax seeds, always store in the fridge or freezer. Flax seeds contain oils that are extremely perishable. When the flax seed is ground, the oil is exposed to oxygen and begins to oxidize almost immediately. This oxidization turns the oils rancid which makes them toxic and causes them to impart a linseed oil aroma and flavor to your food.

- Ground chia seeds also work in place of the flax seed meal.

Check out more posts from our restricted diet series!

For more of Beth’s recipes visit her blog Tasty Yummies.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Comments

Meg -April 25, 2013, 11:14AM

Wow, this is amazing!
I am fortunate enough to not have a restricted diet, but this is great for those who do.

estée -April 25, 2013, 11:45AM

Pretty photos and great post! You can also make Chia Egg replacer using chia seeds. I think it works even better than with flax for certain vegan recipes.

Naomi -April 25, 2013, 4:55PM

I’ve heard about the chia too. Meg, do you know how to do it???

Beth @ Tasty Yummies -April 25, 2013, 5:33PM

@Naomi – it is exactly the same way with chia. Same measurements but sub ground chia for the ground flax!

Holly Cromer -April 26, 2013, 11:01AM

I have an egg allergy and I never know that I could use flax seeds instead! I will for sure be trying this out soon :) So glad I found this post.

mar -April 26, 2013, 2:19PM

Thank you for this I have a terrible egg allergy since I was an teenager and just eliminated every single product that have eggs on it, I just got used to avoid foods that contains eggs like cakes and pancakes & though I dont even miss them anymore, I do like to cook and bake but I cant never taste what I bake so I have to ask someone else to see if the result is ok (my sister loves to be my guinea pig je,je), but I might try to bake some muffins with this, just to try something new and be able to tell if it taste good or not, but I would like to know for how long can I store this seeds if they aren’t grinded. Can I keep them in the kitchen cabinets or I have to put them on the fridge? Thank you in advance!

Nell -March 8, 2014, 3:27AM

This is SO annoying! A million websites that say to take 1 tablespoon of flax seed MEAL and whip it with three tablespoons of water. They also say ‘grind the meal yourself’, and ‘grind only as much as you need at one time.’ But do they EVER say how much flax seed to start with if you only want ONE tablespoon of ground flax meal? Noooo!

THINK, bloggers! Then post!

Xtreme Antler REview -June 22, 2014, 8:33AM

There is certainly a great deal to find out about this issue.
I really like all of the points you made.

flagfreeauction.com -June 23, 2014, 11:12PM

I pay a quick visit day-to-day some websites and websites to read content, but this webpage gives quality based posts.

Jensen Marine Stereo Bid -July 29, 2014, 1:27AM

You need to take time to research the different features to find the ones
that you want or need. This standard proves that the hose will
withstand the temperatures and pressures that develop inside a boat’s engine.

You set off, all ready for, say, a one-month cruise.

detox drinks -August 1, 2014, 6:22PM

As we discussed Nike Air Max through the functional and typical-sensation ideas from the article previously mentioned, teeth whitening need not be a
challenging procedure in any way. As a liquid-only plan, the lemon detox diet
requires a strong commitment but also yields a powerful reward because
it provides the most thorough form of body detoxification. Information was scarce on some sites since they only gave enough information to get you to buy a book or supplement.

Jensen Marine Radios -August 1, 2014, 8:41PM

Also, companies are already lowering cost of product as
they try to compete for your business. Mounting bolts should be included in the
kit and will need to be pushed through both the
mounting tabs and the holes in the floor. A marine battery charger
is one of the examples of marine equipment that is used
on water and you may come across a situation when you have to charge the battery.