How To Make Hummus

Post image for How To Make Hummus

I don’t recall how it happened, but a few years ago, I became obsessed with hummus. I don’t think I can go more than two days without eating it. It tastes delicious, it’s quite healthy, and it goes with just about anything: pita bread, raw vegetables, tortilla chips, pretzels, sandwiches – I could go on for quite some time. There are tons of different variations of hummus, and they’re all pretty simple to make at home.

Today I wanted to share with you guys a very basic hummus recipe. What’s great about this recipe is that it involves ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen – maybe not the tahini, but once you start making hummus, you’ll definitely have tahini around. Here’s how to make hummus!

Ingredients:

Ingredients - Basic Hummus Recipe

1 15-ounce can of chickpeas, drained
3 tablespoons tahini (found in most health food stores in the peanut butter aisle)
2 tablespoons olive oil
¼ cup water
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon sea salt

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. For a thicker consistency, add some more chickpeas. For a smoother consistency, add more water.

Homemade hummus in blender

Serve cold or at room temperature! Refrigerate in an air-tight container and store for up to a week.

How to make hummus

As I mentioned above, this is a very basic recipe. There are so many different things you can do to change it up. You can substitute real garlic cloves for the garlic powder, add different spices, use edamame or white beans instead of chickpeas, and add different vegetables like spinach, artichoke, roasted red peppers, and more.

What’s your favorite hummus recipe? Share it below! Maybe I’ll make a couple of your ideas to share in another post on the blog. :)

Photos by Brigette.

More healthy recipes on the Bldg 25 Blog!

Tags: , , , ,

Comments

Becca -May 21, 2013, 8:47AM

I found out by accident one day (as in, there was no pre-made tahini within a 50 mile radius of me) that homemade hummus tastes infinitely better if you take raw sesame seeds, toast them yourself until golden, blend those first in the food processor, then add the rest of the ingredients. I don’t know what it is, but it has a much deeper flavor.

fp brigette -May 21, 2013, 10:35AM

Becca, that sounds awesome — I’m going to try it!

Sarah -May 21, 2013, 11:49AM

I read on a cooking blog that you can individually peel each chick pea for smoother hummus. It may sound crazy of me, but I tried it once while chatting with a friend at the kitchen table, it was the creamiest smoothest hummus I had ever had! I guess it depends how you like the consistency but it was worth the time to me!

Noya -May 21, 2013, 12:14PM

As an Israeli who ate lots of hummus in her life, I would recommend to use dry chickpea, instead of can.
It’s healthier and taste much better.
If you do so, you should soak the chickpeas a day before with 1.5 tbsp of baking soda (it softens the chickpea) and then cook it in water until it’s soft.
it’s a much longer version, but it taste so good! :)

chloe -May 21, 2013, 3:19PM

definitely agree with Noya – the best way to create super creamy hummus is to put chickpeas, a tablespoon of baking soda, and water just covering them in a crock pot on low for about 2 hours. slows you down, but after you strain them, MAN, the consistency cannot be beat!

Meg -May 21, 2013, 5:58PM

There is honestly nothing better than homemade hummus. Yum!
I throw it on a wrap with some veggies and chicken.

Tia -May 22, 2013, 9:33PM

Thank you for this basic recipe! It’s awesome. Just made some.

Donna -April 13, 2014, 9:56PM

You can also substitute an equal amount of peanut butter for the tahini. (3 tablespoons of tahini=3 tablespoons of peanut butter)