DIY Lavender After-Sun Lotion

Post image for DIY Lavender After-Sun Lotion

The sun is shining bright and we all know that we’ll be spending every possible moment under its beautiful, warm rays this summer. As much as we try to avoid it, it’s inevitable that some of us might get a little too much sun one day, resulting in a potentially painful burn. To help soothe skin on days like these, I’m trying out a concoction made from the best-known soothing, calming, and cooling ingredients: aloe vera, chamomile, lavender, and peppermint. Here’s how to make a lavender after-sun lotion.

What you need:

After sun lotion recipe

4 ounces of your favorite plain, unscented lotion
1 tablespoon aloe vera gel
2 drops lavender essential oil
2 drops chamomile essential oil
2 drops peppermint essential oil
A jar with a lid for storage

What you do:

Mix ingredients together well using a utensil of your choice – I used a wooden stirrer.

After sun lotion DIY

Transfer into your storage container.

Lotion bottle

There you have it – a deliciously scented after-sun lotion to make now and store on your beauty shelf until a day you really need it! For an extra cooling effect on skin, store this in the refrigerator.

DIY after sun lotion

More homemade beauty products from BLDG 25!

Tags: , ,

Comments

Jessie -June 6, 2013, 10:26AM

I think I’m going to whip up some of this to have ready when I return from Bonnaroo!

May -June 7, 2013, 11:19AM

Great idea! After-Sun Lotion is important for girls. Weeks later, I will take a vacation then I think I will try it.

Rick -June 9, 2013, 1:42PM

One time I got too much sun

Macie -June 9, 2013, 8:02PM

I can never find essential oils :( where should u get them?

Carlita -June 10, 2013, 5:39PM

@Macie You can find essential oils from many vendors online, one I like to use most is Turtle Moon Gardens, they ship all over the country

Rosi -July 17, 2013, 9:11AM

I love the smell – it’s not too strong; I thought the essential oils would make it have a stronger odour, but no… I made a triple dose for the whole family. It seemed to me a bit too liquidy; do you reckon that’s what it should be like. Or maybe the ‘Johnson’ baby lotion I used made it be this thin. Any suggestions? Thanks for the recipe; so easy to make and so lovely to smell. I put some on my skin and it’s been an hour now – it smells lovely. Thank you.

Ann -August 25, 2013, 8:53AM

Glad to see you used peppermint oil, this is excellent for taking the sting out of sunburn.

Jasmine Kelley -March 31, 2014, 12:13AM

I love this. I make body butters and balms alot…now I can do this. Love this diy post. Keep it up, it’s so inspiring :)