Easy Beauty Trick: DIY Tinted Lip Gloss

Post image for Easy Beauty Trick: DIY Tinted Lip Gloss

I’ve made homemade lip balm before and I loved it, but it was a little bit of a process to make.  I really wanted to make a tinted version, and then I discovered that you can make tinted lip gloss in a flash with just two ingredients!  It is so easy, and the results are amazing.  Once you try it, I guarantee you’ll become obsessed with creating lots of different colors!

easy tinted lip gloss

What you need: Vaseline, blush (choose one that is organic), and something to mix with (I used a coffee stirrer). That’s it! The added bonus is that Vaseline is great for your lips – incredibly moisturizing!

easy tinted lip gloss

Add a spoonful of Vaseline to a bowl or container and use the stirrer to scrape the powder from the dish.

easy tinted lip gloss

Thoroughly mix the powder into the Vaseline with the stirrer until it is fully blended. Transfer into a container and you’ve got your very own tinted lip gloss! Pick up a few different colors of blush or other facial powders and create your own customized colors!

easy tinted lip gloss

easy tinted lip gloss

easy tinted lip gloss

More beauty tips from the BLDG 25 Blog!

Follow FP Julia on Twitter.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Comments

Juliette Laura -June 27, 2013, 9:14AM

Ahh so fun! I am loving these DIY any color beauty tips! From nail colors, to lip colors! So fun! I’ve gotta give it a try.

xoxo
Juliette Laura

Meg -June 27, 2013, 12:03PM

This is awesome!
I love a little DIY make-up tip.

Megan -June 27, 2013, 3:56PM

I love this! It’s so simple, I am definitely gonna try it soon. I don’t really wear lip gloss or lipstick, but how could I not try this!?

c -June 27, 2013, 10:17PM

isnt it bad to put blush on your lips tho and eat it ? O_o

Diana -June 27, 2013, 10:22PM

Vaseline is made from petro chemicals. Do not put this stuff on your lips! Don’t ingest this stuff. Free People, this is NOT natural.

Catelyn -June 27, 2013, 10:29PM

I love it! It’s so simple and you can always make the perfect color you want by mixing the blushes.

Alison Wedd -June 27, 2013, 10:41PM

This would be so much better if your base was something healthy like coconut butter/beeswax instead of Vaseline which is petroleum and causes early wrinkling! Skin products need to be PLANT based not mineral based-see Weleda products explanation. I am a portrait photographer and a mom of eight beautiful children so I know this matters!

Alison Wedd -June 27, 2013, 10:42PM

ANd you should specify only organic blush so no chemicals go in your mouth! Agreed!

Anya -June 28, 2013, 2:07AM

This is not healthy! Free People should know better than to post stuff like this! 2 ingredients?! You gotta be kidding me! That blush has a ton of chemicals (unless it’s one of the organic ones), so does vaseline. This is an awful thing to put on your lips/in your mouth.

May -June 28, 2013, 3:56AM

It is so special idea! What a fun activity for one at home.

Yna -June 28, 2013, 4:04AM

Everyone needs to calm down about the Vaseline. I agree that an organic blush would be nicer for the skin on your lips, but Vaseline is perfectly safe to apply on your lips despite being petroleum based – doctors sometimes recommend its application when your skin is dry. I’m definitely gonna try this beauty trick!

DIYEARTE - DIY -June 28, 2013, 4:47AM

Great beauty idea!! ♥

WE❤DIY:
→ DIYEARTE ♦ DIY

trish -June 28, 2013, 7:53AM

Dear Yna,

Vaseline- as it’s made of petrochemicals- is fine for your elbows and heels and knees, is NOT advisable to apply to your lips-even though our Mom’s perhaps did…Petrolatum may be advised by Dr.s to apply to burns, cuts, or dry skin-is effectitve but, as it is made from distillates of motor oil, it is not adviseable to apply to your lips, and thus ingest it…use balms made from shea butter or cocoanut oil-all natural!!

Vivi -June 28, 2013, 8:06AM

Could you possibly skip the vaseline and smoosh up a tube of non-tinted chapstick for the base? I don’t know how dangerous vaseline is- I just think it looks gross. But I feel the same way about mayo.

fp julia -June 28, 2013, 8:49AM

Hey guys! If you’re worried about the vaseline you can definitely substitute something else – and yes, use organic powder! Clarified above. Thanks!

Leanne -June 28, 2013, 9:36AM

Coconut Oil would be a perfect alternative. Naturally colourful clays are also all natural and would make a great replacement for and coloured cosmetics, so you don’t have to worry about chemicals or harmful synthetic colours. More information on colours and fragrances in the link above as well.

Dana -June 28, 2013, 11:19AM

Vaseline is the base of 90% of all skin products, lotions, lip balms, etc. This includes most organic brands. It is not harmful to use on your lips. These comments are ignorant and wrong.

Shelley -June 28, 2013, 11:38AM

Although Vaseline (Petroleum Jelly) isn’t exactly eco friendly, doesn’t it help your skin retain moisture? Isn’t that a good thing for skin?

estée -June 28, 2013, 1:16PM

I’d def use coconut oil instead of Vaseline. Plus, it smells so good!

For the worried ones, you can read more about Petrolatum on David Suzuki’s blog here: http://davidsuzuki.org/issues/health/science/toxics/chemicals-in-your-cosmetics—petrolatum/

Anonymous -July 1, 2013, 11:32AM

Vaseline is fine for your lips peole

Jasmine -October 15, 2013, 11:45PM

Try using “un-petroleum jelly” by alba instead! It’s coconut oil based , and also has vitamin E, which heals and soothes skin.

Carolina -October 17, 2013, 12:49PM

Can’t wait to try this :D

Jennifer -October 23, 2013, 7:45PM

I love this idea. I have scraps left of two old blushes that I hate to just throw out: Nars Orgasm and Bobbi Brown pale pink. These will make tinted lip glosses. Thanks for the post!