15 Gluten-Free Breakfast Ideas

Post image for 15 Gluten-Free Breakfast Ideas

This post is part of our restricted diet series from Beth of Tasty Yummies.

Breakfast seems to be one of the toughest meals for those new to a gluten-free diet. So many people new to the lifestyle contact me to ask my thoughts on the various options, what is available and what is easy. I find breakfast to be quite easy on the contrary, I feel like once you realize all the naturally gluten-free options plus what you can easily recreate yourself, the possibilities are endless!

gluten free breakfast

Here are some of my favorite naturally gluten-free breakfast ideas:

1) Yogurt (dairy or non-dairy) topped with fresh fruit and/or toasted nuts, seeds, homemade granola, etc.

2) Homemade gluten-free granola with your favorite milk or non-dairy milk (recipe: Orange Spiced Granola with Black Mission Figs and Pistachios).

3) Smoothies (SOOO many options! Try this Strawberry Coconut Smoothie).

4) Eggs – scrambled, hardboiled, fried, omelets, frittatas, etc. (recipe: Summer Harvest Frittata).

5) Breakfast tacos on corn tortillas (scrambled eggs or scrambled tofu is great inside).

6) Oatmeal (certified gluten-free, of course).

7) Chia pudding (recipe: Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding).

8) Buckwheat (or other gluten-free flour-based) pancakes.

9) Gluten-free waffles (recipe: Banana Pecan Waffles).

10) Sweet potato or veggie hash, maybe with some bacon added and a poached or fried egg on top, if you aren’t vegan! (Recipe: Sweet Potato and Poblano Hash).

11) Gluten-free Breakfast cookies  (recipe: Strawberry Coconut Breakfast Cookies).

12) Warm cooked millet, amaranth or quinoa topped with a little maple syrup and some fresh fruit.

13) Homemade gluten-free cereal or energy bars (recipe: Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Bars).

14) Fresh fruit.

15) Homemade gluten-free bread or muffins (recipe: Whole Grain Chocolate Zucchini Muffins).

gluten-free-breakfast

What is your favorite gluten-free breakfast?

More healthy recipes from the BLDG 25 Blog.

Tags: , , , , ,

Comments

Juliette Laura -July 11, 2013, 9:25AM

I’m not gluten free, but I do tend to try and lean that way, and I am sooo going to try some of these!

xoxo
Juliette Laura

Maria -July 11, 2013, 11:24AM

These all seem delicious!

Hannah -July 11, 2013, 1:33PM

SO yummy! My daily GF/vegan smoothie consists of almond milk, 1 tbs peanut butter, splash of vanilla, cinnamon, bananas, flax, maca powder, coconut flakes and greens! Perfect amt of protein and energy for the day.

Dani -July 11, 2013, 5:55PM

I love breakfast hash and yogurt with fruits, nuts, or honey (or all 3!)
Lately I’ve been experimenting more and more with Asian cuisines, and I really like congee. It’s a porridge made from rice, similar concept to oatmeal. You can add savory toppings, but my favorites are red dates and honey :)

<3 dani

Lucille -July 11, 2013, 6:57PM

French Toast! I use Udi’s GF Flax & Fiber bread.. & real maple syrup of course! Although, buckwheat & sorghum apple pecan muffins (homemade!) hold a special place in my heart. OOooo.. and homemade GF scones. Mmmm scones. Perfect with hot chai & homemade almond milk.

paige -July 11, 2013, 7:30PM

all of these sound amazing! I’m such a sucker for oatmeal with bananas and honey it it most mornings, but I would love to try and make a sweet potato hash?? sounds interesting

GiGi Eats Celebrities -July 12, 2013, 11:55PM

I eat foods that aren’t labeled at “breakfast foods” – I LOVE chicken for breakfast- just straight up chicken. Or sauteed squid, mussels & scallops! I even love grass-fed beef, bison, ostrich, elk, venison, wild boar or kangaroo! So delicious and a great way to start the day! ;)

Lucy -July 13, 2013, 10:53AM

Wowwww!!! I’ve got celiac disease and find it really hard to find filling and gluten free breakfast ideas. Can’t wait to try these out…

Karen -July 16, 2013, 9:41AM

My favorite? Crispy Bacon & Farm-fresh Eggs!

jeff -August 15, 2013, 1:19PM

Many people with celiacs cannot tolerate oatmeal

Bea -September 19, 2013, 5:50PM

I make a batch of this gluten-free knäckebröd every week!

it’s super simple and very very tasty! perfect snack ♡

Christy -March 7, 2014, 5:04PM

I often will make gluten free muffins and breakfast breads in bulk and freeze them. They’re very easy to take out and warm up during the work week. On the weekends, when I have time to cook a hot breakfast, I enjoy making gluten free pancakes, breakfast sandwiches, hot cereal (rice, amaranth, etc.), rice porridge/congee, cheesy grits with sausage or bacon, and hashbrowns.

Dani -May 1, 2014, 3:42PM

@paige is oatmeal gluten free? I really don;’t know about this. I used to love this as breakfast in the morning and its really healthy too. Have been eating greasy hash browns every morning for 3 years! Would love a change…

Denisa -June 26, 2014, 4:52AM

I don’t have to eat gluten free, but I am trying to because of my atopic eczema…I have noticed being gluten free helps a bit…

Anyway, I don’t have favourite breakfast, however, I normally have fruit smoothie, or porridge, and in these days, I started to favour hard boiled eggs with chives for some reason…that’s what I’m having today, with homemade coleslaw… :)

Ashlyn Fellman -July 26, 2014, 6:44PM

OOH!! Need to try some of these. I am so sick and tired of eggs and fruit or cottage cheese and fruit every single day. I always need extra protein in th morning otherwise I’m not going to be very productive and I will feel fatigued.