The Lunar Cycle And Your Mood

Post image for The Lunar Cycle And Your Mood

Despite it’s barrenness I have always been fascinated with the moon and, like the Greeks and Romans, I see it as some kind of goddess. The moon affects the Earth in physical ways;  its gravitational pull helps to create our ocean’s tide. The Earth and Moon are attracted to one another like magnets. The moon tries to pull on everything on the Earth to bring it closer, but the Earth is able to hold onto everything except the water. Since the ocean is constantly moving and the Earth is unable to hold onto it, tides form.

I have always believed that the moon’s gravitational pull not only has an effect on our oceans but it also has an effect on our brains and emotions — after all, the human body is mostly water. Whenever I look up to the sky and see a third quarter moon in the night sky, I know that pretty soon my mood is going to change as the full moon starts to unfold. I will start to feel slightly unbalanced; emotional, tired, anxious and a little moody. As a note to myself I keep the moon’s cycle calendar close to hand, so I can recognize and try to help shift my change in mood. Do any of you suffer from the moon’s gravitational pull?

moon phases

Tags: , , , ,

Comments

Juliette Laura -July 6, 2013, 8:54AM

Very interesting! I’ve never paid much attention to my mood in connection to the moon, but I definitely will now! Also! I like the tattoo on the last picture, but the more I look at it, it doesn’t look real, hehe.

xoxo
Juliette Laura

Anonymous -July 6, 2013, 10:39AM

Thats interesting, I’ve never really payed attention to be honest. If you are sure you’ll be effected by the moons change though, your brain will just fire off those electrons and you’ll go through the moods anyway because you’ve already told your brain that you will, which may have something to do with it (and could help you stop and break the cycle) Its kind of like when you always wake up at a certain time…its because you register it in your brain and acknowledge that its happening, and your subconscious will continue to wake you up at the same time. When you start to forget and ignore it, it goes away. Perhaps this info has helped at all, and if so, i hope you feel better the next full moon :)
XO Callie

mary -July 6, 2013, 11:31AM

Great article! I’m sure that we’re all very influenced by the moon. I’m a moon goddess worshiper myself! My (real) tattoo is a crescent moon…

Luna -July 6, 2013, 11:58AM

aaww

katie antoniou -July 6, 2013, 2:26PM

I REALLY notice it- and with the super moon, I was at least 14% madder and 30% more emotional than usual!

juliet -July 6, 2013, 4:32PM

i am deffiantly effected. i always notice the buzz of energy around full moon.

ann -July 6, 2013, 10:51PM

I ‘ve noticed recently that my dreams are affected by the moons position in the lunar cycle.

Jenn -July 7, 2013, 1:12AM

Yes. All the time.

Alex -July 7, 2013, 2:50AM

It’s confusing; how does astrology thrive in the face of science? Belief in astrology seems harmless, but in reality it encourages believers to avoid taking responsibility for their own behavior. The rotation of the moon and earth indeed creates tides in our oceans, but there is no evidence, none, that supports the claims made by astrologers. :)

Anais -July 7, 2013, 3:43AM

I REALLY feel a change everytime the moon gets almost full. Most of the time I wonder why I get so irritable and tired all of a sudden, that’s not my period so I check the moon, and I see it’s almost full…All.the.time. Scary!

Debbie -July 7, 2013, 11:46AM

I am also influenced by the moon. I am almost always happier during the waxing period. I am always aware of the moon’s phase, and I think my is conscious sometimes. I don’t dismiss the effect of the moon since our bodies are made up partly of water. Just because we haven’t been able to prove something doesn’t necessarily mean it doesn’t exist.

Michaela -July 7, 2013, 12:32PM

You are becoming more moody because the moon affects your period and coincides with that

Tiffany -July 7, 2013, 12:52PM

i always make it a habit to look up at the moon every night, even if we can’t see it cause it’s a new moon. but it’s a conscious act i do every night. it’s quite beautiful to look at. and i do think the moon effects us. for me, my menstrual cycle always lines up with the moon’s cycle; it either begins or end during the new or full moon. and in general, there’s a reason the average menstrual cycle for a woman is 28 days long. that’s the exact length of the moon’s cycle as well. it’s quite fascinating and i find it a shame that most people tend to take the moon (or any part of our nature) for granted, because it’s quite amazing.

Karina -July 7, 2013, 1:51PM

That’s very interesting. It makes a lot of sense to me, because I have trouble falling asleep whenever there’s a full moon. And I do have various mood swings during the month, although I’ve thought that too might have something to do with the moon. I’ll definitely pay attention to it from now on.

FP Tracy (astrologer) -July 7, 2013, 5:33PM

Hey Jemma! You might like The Lunation Cycle by Dane Rudhyar. It’s the classic astrology text on this topic, written in the ’60s.

Leanna -July 8, 2013, 9:23AM

I love the moon! I also see her as the Great Goddess that vibrates feminine energy. When she glows she takes center stage, but at the same time she is also mysterious :)

Elina -July 14, 2013, 5:19PM

Oh yeah, most of the time I have trouble sleeping when there’s a full moon. And when I tell people about it most of them go “ohh, that’s why I couldn’t sleep either!” haha!
Lately I’ve also noticed that I tend to get my period at full moon. I’ve also read that more babies are born ’round that time. It’s so interesting!

Rhiannon -July 18, 2013, 12:41AM

I wouldn’t say I suffer from it, but I do try to live along side it! The new moon is a wonderful time to make plans and set intentions; the waxing moon is a great time to take action and start new projects; the full moon is a time of celebration; and the waning moon is the perfect time to release and let go of what you no longer need in your life! I try to mirror what the moon is doing in my own life, and it feels much more harmonious than to think of something I just have to deal with.

Victoria -August 4, 2013, 1:27PM

I recently went to a retreat where I attended a class about women’s cycle and the cycle of the moon. Apparently in ancient times, before artificial light was everywhere, women would all have cycles that matched with the moon. Our moods and bodies would change with the moon as our hormones matched up to the schedule of the moon. So there is a sort of connection we all have with the moon but especially women whom still feel the connection with the cycles.

Tamara -August 18, 2013, 10:05AM

i’d never heard it before moving to a rural area… but it’s common for country people to say “is it a full moon?” or “the moon IS full” when people start acting sort of bizarre. when you work with the public, you can see, as a whole… it affects everyone. the whole population will be having just the weirdest day, weirdest questions… even the normals. AND all the crazies start coming around, too.

Jo Collyer -January 17, 2014, 11:55AM

My husband suffers greatly from the full moon. He without doubt is easier to anger, moody and dark. This can last for a few days before and after. He knows this but often forgets. Any advice please?

Elizabeth -February 22, 2014, 5:10AM

ABSOLUTELY 100%!! I am almost 40, so it took till into my 30′s to realize every time I could not sleep and cleaned all night, it was a FULL MOON! For a day or so before and after my emotions are magnified also. If I’m not keeping track, and things seem crazy or just not right it is always coming up on a FULL MOON!! This last one we had was really crazy for me. I wish I could understand it more and be more prepared!

man 32 lost -March 9, 2014, 6:30AM

From time to time I suddenly feel depressive and extremely sensitive about my future, my partner and everything related to my life. Some years ago i started calling it “the days when thinking too much is forbiden”. I can manage good if i avoid thinking and they are usually periods of two days. Lately I found out that everytime it happens, there is a half moon in the shape of a perfect D (crescent) in the sky. I am lost about it. Is it really an influence of the moon?

Gretchen -March 13, 2014, 4:37PM

Full Moons do a number on me. I suffer severely from bipolar depression. Most Full moons make me catatonically, paralyzingly depressed. I feel suicidal around and during the Full Moon. It is a nightmare I can’t describe.

sarah -May 17, 2014, 6:42PM

Gretchen I completely understand where you are coming from the past 2 full moons have been absolutely dreadful and emotional times with suicidal thoughts and anger just awful! You are not alone x

Kathleen -May 29, 2014, 3:32AM

I’m now 72 years old & suffer insomnia & anxiety around both the full & new moons. When I was younger I had premenstrual tension quite badly but it seemed to happen twice rather than once a month which I didn’t understand. As a busy mother I was unaware of the moon cycles. However, now I no longer menstruate the same symptoms are still occurring & I try to make sure my life is as balanced as possible around the time of the full & new moon. At other times of the month I sleep well & consider myself a contented person so am convinced that some of us, more than others, are effected by the moon cycles.