Short Hair Styling Tips From FP Girls

Post image for Short Hair Styling Tips From FP Girls

I have long hair but in the summertime I’m always tempted to chop it off…in this heat, shorter locks seem so much lighter and cooler.  The last time I cut my hair short was years ago and I never knew how to style it, so I’ve kept it long ever since.  But I always envy those girls who pull it off so well — for example, Anja Rubik’s perfectly tousled locks in our July book. It seemed like the perfect time to get some styling tips from our home office girls who rock the shorter hair — those of you with short hair, share your tips in the comments!

Above – our digital tech assistant has the cutest layered bob! She said she uses Aveda Smooth Infusion Style-Prep Smoother after washing her hair, and then lets it air dry. To finish off the tousled look she uses Aveda Light Elements Texturizing Creme.

short hair styling tips

short hair styling tips

Our visual manager just recently cut her hair short and said that so far she’s been using Moroccan oil to keep it moisturized, and clay wax twisted into the ends to give it texture.

short hair styling tips

short hair styling tips

Our stylist has beautiful layers and the cutest bangs! She said her secret is to let it air dry, spray it with Bumble and Bumble Prep, and scrunch with her hands!

short hair styling tips

short hair styling tips

Our graphic designer said she likes to keep it simple and partially up in a half-bun. If the ends start to get flat, she gives it a spritz with water from a spray bottle and scrunches it up with her hands!

short hair styling

Got any short hair styling tips? Share them in the comments!

More beauty tips from the BLDG 25 Blog.

Follow FP Julia on Twitter.

Tags: , , , ,

Comments

Eva -July 15, 2013, 7:16AM

thanks for the tips…love the layered bob.
Pls do another – for very curly layered locks. I have very curly hair and it’s layered so I look like a lion when I wear it down. In the summer it’s usually up in some sort of a sloppy bun. I would love to see FP ladies with curly locks <3 help :)

Lo -July 15, 2013, 8:33AM

It’s nice that you guys are posting a hair post specifically for shorter hair! I just recently chopped my long locks off, and I have been trying to find a way to get that first look without having to shower at night and leave my hair in braids. So I might have to try that aveda stuffs!

Juliette Laura -July 15, 2013, 8:35AM

These FP ladies are beautiful with such lovely hair! I have loooooong hair but this so makes me want to chop it!

xoxo
Juliette Laura

meg -July 15, 2013, 9:01AM

Thanks for featuring short hair!
I will have to give these products a try.

Jessica -July 15, 2013, 11:03AM

I just axed five inches off my hair to go to collarbone-grazing length, and I’m in love with it. Here are my tips:
1. Living Proof Prime (makes day 2 hair look like day 1) and Living Proof deFrizz, mixed together in my hands and run through while damp.
2. BB grooming creme
3. Air dry with blasts of blow drying in between if I’m in a hurry
4. Last-minute touch-ups with curling wand & straightener to get rid of funky bits and give my waves definition

Bronwyn -July 15, 2013, 12:03PM

Loving the hair posts! Summer and the hot, sticky and humid weather make me want to cut off all of my hair too. That short layered bob……to die for! :)

Heather -July 15, 2013, 12:50PM

I am on month six of growing out a very short, Emma Watson like, pixie cut. It is growing into somewhat of a bob at the moment. I blow dry, smooth in Argon Oil, then do a quick spray with the hairspray to hold it in place. I do love to french braid the little hair that I do have into a crown of sorts. That’s always fun and I get many compliments when I style my hair like that.

Jessie -July 15, 2013, 2:07PM

I have an appointment this week to get my hair cut to the length of your visual managers! I’ve never heard of clay wax before but does she possibly have a brand that she would suggest?

Kacie -July 15, 2013, 2:26PM

Love this! Theres not much short hair inspiration out there so this is nice!

Lauha -July 15, 2013, 4:30PM

I just recently cut a whole 10 inches off my hair, and now it hits right around my jawline with some shorter layers. I love it so much, it’s so easy to take care off now and definitely much cooler in this summer heat~ I have naturally wavy and dry hair and have been on hot tool-rehab since last year. Definitely makes all the difference so if you think you can go without a blow dryer or curlers/straighteners, I absolutely recommend it. I try not to over wash my hair, and usually stick to three times a week at max. I use an all-natural shampoo and a moisturising conditioner that are free of nasty things like sulfates, parabens and silicones, and afterwards apply a light mousse before letting my hair air dry completely. Once dry, I spray just a little bit of dry shampoo at the roots and shake out to give the hair some volume, then scrunch in a tiny drop of moroccan or some other natural oil for a little extra shine. On days between washes, I simply repeat the dry shampoo + oil routine. Quick and easy and works well for me :)

Dani -July 15, 2013, 5:01PM

Thats “short”? Why don’t any of your girls have pixies or truly short hair?
I feel like it’s more “free” to reject gender standards of long hair, even though most of your beauty and hair posts are long-hair-centric :(
Sad for a lifetime short haired girl!

<3 dani

Katerina -July 15, 2013, 7:32PM

finalllyy!!
i commented another time requesting short hair styles for us short haired girls and you guys finally did it!!!
THANKS <3 =)

Maria -July 15, 2013, 10:17PM

Just chopped my hair above my shoulders use “Not Your Mother’s” beach spray and scrunch!

Chelsea -July 15, 2013, 10:21PM

I’m growing out a buzzed haircut from 1/16th an inch all over the head. Then I bleached it. It’s almost like a longer male cut with my front of my hair longer than my back. When I go out, I usually do two things-
1. Throw in texturizer/wax/surfer paste and go for a piece-y windswept look after I hop from the shower
2. Cornrow/French braid two strands worth of my hair on the sides of my head on each side and then poof/back comb the top into a lil’ attitude action.
I like my hair a little less fem, a little more edge.

amy -July 15, 2013, 10:30PM

I just cut off the ol’ dreads and am now sporting a cut similar to Anne Hathaway’s, at her shortest. Can’t wait until mine grows out so that I can try that first style above. Totally agree that air drying is a must. Love all of the beautiful, healthy hair I see on this site! Beautiful!

Emily -July 15, 2013, 10:51PM

Man, and here I was thinking my hair is really long.

Aly -July 16, 2013, 12:25AM

I have curly hair-like Shirley temple ringlets- and my hair is medium length curly, long when straight. I’m in love with short styles, like all the ones above and of course, the beautiful karlie kloss’ but I’m so scared that short curly hair would end in a lion-mane mess. Do you know of anyone who took the short route with crazy curls?

Bonnie -July 16, 2013, 7:33AM

I have the Emma Watson pixie cut, only my bangs are very long, it’s tapered in the back and on the sides around my ears (I have a LOT of hardware on my ears and having short hair shows them off) I LOVE AVEDA products and have been using them for years. If I want my bangs to have a little curl to them then I use Be Curly by Aveda. I MUST say this, I used to have hair that came 6″ past my knees – yes very, very, very long I had to brush and braid every night, during the day it was braided unless I wore it up, it was impractical to let it hang down it got into everything and would tangle, shampooing? It took my hair all day to dry, I never used a blow dryer on it or that would have caused split ends, nor hair color, etc. Short hair rocks I’m no longer a slave to my hair!!!! Thank you FP for a beauty blog for us short haired women!! <3

Julia B. -July 16, 2013, 10:12AM

Love this post! I have super curly short hair, and I love it. Its super wild and crazy and some of my friends ask what they can do to get a similar look. So one time i straightened it, to see what I could do to give it some bounce. So I settled on this: First get a small gage curling iron, Curl as much of it as you can without getting bored, spray a bunch of Bumble and Bumble surf spray, and then shake the curls out so they can loosen. The first day it looks supppppper kinky and fun, the second day is my fave tho, very wavy “i just got back from surfing” look. <3

Allie -July 16, 2013, 12:22PM

I agree with Eva! I have medium length to longish curly hair and would love to see something on here about curls!

Britt -July 16, 2013, 12:46PM

As someone who has a pixie cut, I was so hopeful when I saw “Short Hair Styling Tips,” and then saw the hair was more short-medium length than straight up short. Then again, there isn’t so much you can do with a pixie. Oh well.

Bee -July 16, 2013, 4:10PM

pfftss… short…..

emily -July 16, 2013, 4:22PM

I agree with some of the other commenters that most of this isn’t what I’d call “short”. I’ve been growing out my pixie-length cut and now it’s a chin-length bob– would love to see some style ideas and tips for hair that doesn’t reach your shoulders yet!

Lenee -July 16, 2013, 11:48PM

What about curly hair?? and I mean REALLY curly, not wavy or taylor swift curly. Like ringlets. and thick hair too!

kate -July 17, 2013, 8:54AM

i just got my hair cut into a modern shag inspired by the anja rubik/free people catalog. it would be great if you could share a tutorial on how to get anja’s sexy, tousled look…and it sounds like there are a lot of other shorter-haired girls above who would agree with me! the hair in your catalogs is always super inspiring…but this one took the cake…or shall i say curling iron?! thanks :)

subno -July 28, 2013, 4:50PM

thanks for give update information about hair style idea. i like asian trends hair style, it look cool and nice. trends hair style ideas, asian trends hair style 2013

ashley -August 7, 2013, 7:58PM

I have a chin length bob, and I have wavy hair. I am also on straightener rehab, and while I do blow my hair mostly dry using a diffuser, I also let it air dry the rest of the way. I use Bumble and Bumble curling creme and Kaze Wave mousse from Shu Umera (argh I can’t spell it ever). Both products are awesome. KMS curling hair shampoo and conditioner are fantastic alternatives to expensive salon stuff – really like the line.

Taylor -September 12, 2013, 5:04PM

Just cut my hair short and running low on inspiration, so this post was perfect! Really loving the last one, can’t wait to try it!

Pamislav -December 23, 2013, 10:32PM

It’s really nice to find a short haired related post! I have a pixie haircut and I’d love to see how would you style it! You should do more about it please! It was really refreshing :)