5 Natural Home Remedies For Frizzy Hair

Post image for 5 Natural Home Remedies For Frizzy Hair

UPDATE: This post originally ran on May 20th but with the late summer humidity giving our hair a hard time, we wanted to bring it back!

I absolutely love summer and the heat that comes with it – but sometimes the humid air can really take its toll on your hair! For most people, this is manifested with frizzy hair. Frizzy hair caused by humidity is different than static-induced frizz that you may experience in winter, and it has its own set of natural at-home remedies that you can use to treat it. Here are 5 easy things you can do at home to help tame frizzy locks!

apple cider vinegar for frizzy hair

Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse

The acidity of apple cider vinegar does wonders to smooth frizzy hair, and as an added plus gives it a great healthy shine.  After shampooing your hair (and completely rinsing shampoo out), pour the apple cider vinegar over your hair, being sure to cover all of it. Let sit for about 30 seconds and then rinse – for best results, rinse with cool water. You can then condition your hair as you normally would.  If the smell of the vinegar bothers you, you can dilute with water.

avocado mask for frizzy hair

Avocado & Olive Oil Mask

This is almost like a natural conditioner for your hair – avocado and olive oil both have amazing hydrating benefits, and avocado also has the good kind of fatty acids to help sooth frizziness. Mash up the avocado and add a splash of olive oil, whipping the two together. After shampooing your hair, apply the avocado mask to your hair, making sure to fully cover all of your hair. Let sit for 30 minutes to an hour, and rinse thoroughly. You can then condition your hair to get rid of the avocado scent, and enjoy how soft and smooth your hair feels!

raw egg and olive oil for frizzy hair

Raw Egg & Olive Oil Treatment

Whisk one raw egg and mix in  spoonful of olive oil. Egg yolk is rich in fats and proteins, and is naturally moisturizing. Egg whites contain enzymes that kill bacteria and remove unwanted oils. Meanwhile, the olive oil acts as en emollient that locks the moisture into your hair. Apply this mixture to your hair prior to shampooing/conditioning and let sit for about a half hour before rinsing and washing hair.

coconut and olive oil for frizzy hair

Coconut Oil or Olive Oil Treatment

You knew I couldn’t get through this list without mentioning coconut oil! Coconut oil is my oil of choice when it comes to natural beauty remedies. It is incredibly hydrating, and it smells amazing. I just rub some on my fingers and run them through my  hair when it is feeling really dry. Focus mostly on the ends when doing this, as opposed to the roots (you don’t want your scalp to get too oily). Another great option is olive oil – put a few drops in your hand and run through damp hair to lock in moisture.

carbonated water for frizzy hair

Carbonated Water Rinse

The simplest and easiest method is a carbonated water rinse. After washing your hair, give it a final rinse with carbonated water. The low pH level in carbonated water helps to reduce frizz, similarly to apple cider vinegar.

If you try any of these remedies, let me know how they work! Or, if you have another suggestion I’m all ears!

More beauty tips from the BLDG 25 Blog.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Comments

kaye -May 20, 2013, 9:08AM

hi! so are we not supposed to shampoo after using the avocado mask, just condition?

Alex Salvesen -May 20, 2013, 9:21AM

I am trying these all out! I’ve been doing a coconut mask every week or so, but these sounds just as good!

debra duncan -May 20, 2013, 9:42AM

The apple cider vinegar rinse definitely works – Ive been using it for years! It takes away frizz and also removes build up from hair products. Leaves my hair with perfect ringlets and no frizzies.

Rach -May 20, 2013, 10:42AM

Apple cider vinegar is magical!

Meg -May 20, 2013, 1:09PM

Wish I knew about this this morning.
I have a serious case of the frizzies!

DIYEARTE - DIY -May 20, 2013, 1:22PM

I want to try the apple cider vinegar rinse!!

WE❤DIY:
→ DIYEARTE – DIY

meg -May 21, 2013, 10:13AM

so trying these – need one that works! the weather is so humid here!

Monique -May 21, 2013, 12:45PM

thank you so much for the tips, I’ll try that and I also use pro naturals moroccan argan oil which help to reduce the frizz and keeps my hair soft and healthy.

Vivien -May 21, 2013, 1:31PM

I love using home remedies for my hair, it’s super curly and frizzy. I also tend to splurge on good quality products like pro naturals moroccan argan oil hair mask, at least I know they work :)

May -June 13, 2013, 11:18PM

I really need this way because my hair is fuzzy and I like straight hair. I will try it one day.

Traile Meyer -June 26, 2013, 6:50PM

For 21 years I’ve struggled to keep my unruly wavy and frizzy hair under control. I can think of two times now I’ve been happy with it and one of those times was when I got my hair done with using Shielo’s Leave in Protectant. I usually put my hair up to avoid dealing with it, but I look much better with it down.

The Shielo Protectant makes my waves and curls come out without the frizz/poof and smells great.My mom brought me to her stylist because she has similar hair (where I got the Shielo product from) and she did the same thing to me as she did to mom, only a little bit different of a style. Needless to say, we both swear by this product now.

Vicky -July 10, 2013, 10:35AM

If I apply more than one tecnique at a time… would it be better?

jessy -July 17, 2013, 1:03AM

This apple cider vinegar treatment seems attractive.. is it possible for me to do it daily in order to get a better result?

Jeanette -July 21, 2013, 1:46PM

Can the apple cider vinegar be used on frizzy hair that is color treated? Thanks!

Marianne -July 24, 2013, 8:25AM

Make sure to use cold water rinsing out the egg and olive oil mix! Otherwise it cooks to your hair! Used to use it when I was younger and my mother warned me about it!

Tracey -July 24, 2013, 7:21PM

In place of conditioner I use apple cider vinegar. I dilute it with water and add tea tree oil to mask the smell. Works amazing for my crazy curls!

jmland -July 24, 2013, 10:09PM

Do other types of vinegar work?

Juliana -July 28, 2013, 7:14AM

What does it mean apple “cider”??

lilymeme -July 31, 2013, 1:22AM

When i tried the carbonated water rinse as a final rinse (no water rinsing) i was disappointed that it didn’t work for me as i have wavy hair and it’s frizzy. This was the second time i washed m hair once by rincing the club soda off and another b leaving it on. I really dont like the smell of vinegar so i preferred club soda. I wanted to know how come it didnt remove my frizz?? It only made it a little puffy and soft. Please help me.thanks

Shanna -August 10, 2013, 3:14PM

I used something similar to the first recipe (I have natural, kinky hair). I used avocado, greek yogurt, coconut oil and honey. My friend also recently used beer as a rinse and it really added shine to his curly hair.

Joanna -August 10, 2013, 5:36PM

These are so fun to make, and this post is so appropriate right now, I love itxx

Wade Asset Management Group -August 14, 2013, 10:01AM

Nice remedies I will definitely try it..But ! have a question what should I do for hair falling I am badly facing it please tell me something about it.

natural hair -August 23, 2013, 3:00PM

We’re a mix of natural hair and online experts but above all we’re consumers like you and understand how overwhelming and confusing it is to navigate the endless quantity of naturally curly hair products on the market. Despite the huge number of products it is still difficult to find quality products for the woman with naturally curly hair.

Rachel -August 23, 2013, 4:42PM

The apple cider vinegar rinse also works wonders on dandruff or dry scalps!

Lura -September 8, 2013, 9:21AM

I found apple cider vinegar works best for me. I used to rinse my hair with ACV after shampoo. One of my friends said he gonna use alcohol!

ash -September 10, 2013, 6:20AM

pls can some 1 help me n tell me how 2 make apple cider vinegar..i have really vry curly hair..will they make them better if i use it..

sarah -September 18, 2013, 9:46PM

I want to try the apple cider rinse, but I absolutely hate vinegar

priscilla -September 25, 2013, 5:00PM

thanks I’ll take it into account because my hair is full and here Panamanian’m dry sun dry me too

priscilla -September 25, 2013, 5:02PM

hello girls am a married woman young businesswoman with two children … always working and I love to have friends from other countries to share experiences and talk about things women write me and begin a beautiful friendship prisbiddle27@hotmail.com

Alan -September 30, 2013, 1:10PM

I’m assuming that by apple cider vinegar you DO NOT mean heinzs’ apple cider FLAVORED vinegar. That stuff is just regular old distilled vinegar with a little flavoring and coloring added to simulate the good ole Organic apple cider vinegar like Bragg… It’s got the “mother” that has all of the good enzymes in it. I’ve used that in the past and it worked great but I recently grew my hair longer and it is all over the place! I will try this again, Thanks!

Brittney -October 3, 2013, 12:41PM

This is great and fun to make i really appreciate it .I want to try this Thanks for this great idea .

Devon -October 7, 2013, 3:48PM

Ooooh! I’m definetely trying the apple cider vinegar rinse!

Alison -October 26, 2013, 7:14PM

A pea sized blob of Emulsifying Ointment rubbed between palms with splash of water then smoothed over damp hair. Comb through and dry naturally. Keeps it silky even in wet windy conditions.

Tanzi -November 4, 2013, 1:04PM

Do,nt growth my hair.its big problem .

Riah -November 10, 2013, 1:07AM

What does it mean apple “cider”?? And can I get this from the supermarket?

Uma -November 16, 2013, 12:48PM

Is it the normal apple cider which we get in Super market?? Pls reply soon.

Diana -November 17, 2013, 7:40AM

The apple cider vinegar that are talking about is sold in grocery stores in with all the vinegars , Braggs is the best it is organic and contains the mother which is a thick substance very healthy that hasn’t been removed or strained .. Hope this helps those asking about it !!

pavithra -November 18, 2013, 8:37AM

shud i boil the coconut oil ?/ or apply it directly??/

vanessa -December 3, 2013, 6:51AM

I tried the apple cider vinegar rinse and my hair was so soft. In the morning I noticed my hair was more manageable and less ftizzy. I did use a deep conditioner after as well. I have thick frizzy wavy hair

deedee -January 6, 2014, 1:09PM

I have Curly /frizzy hair can only wet it if I want not to be frizzy.Will this help?

shannon -February 11, 2014, 9:48AM

Im trying to make my own mixtures, wasing with apple cider vinegar mixed with coconut oil 2 tbl spoons of the oil mixed to 1/2 cup of vinegar. I have very frizzy bottocelli curls. My daughter does as well we are finding ways to luv our locks instead of having frizzy unmanageable hair, My daughter is 8 her hair is hardley gro
wing we have cut it 4 times in her life im hoping this helps it to grow!

NewYorkG -February 28, 2014, 3:53PM

Just like you, I have long curly hair that tends to dry-out and frizz. I used the Shielo Restoration OIl (applied to wet hair) helps retain the natural curl while adding deep shine and hydration. I have used Shielo’s Oil daily for 6 weeks…and my hair looks so healthy!

Tina -March 14, 2014, 4:44PM

Great to know! I use argan oil and its pretty good, i got the Pro Naturals argan oil and it leves my hair shiny, super soft and without frizz

Shiv Sharma -March 20, 2014, 8:30PM

Hi, I am health tips follower of your blog. I like your posts having very helpful tips on health. I used to apply normal coconut oil and daily drink plenty of water to avoid heat. But my hair loos dry and thin. I want to try olive oil treatment. Will you pls. tell me how to apply and how many days to follow the treatment like such conditions.

Maddie -March 31, 2014, 7:43PM

i want to do the apple cider vinegar but it says wash your hair then apply but i dont want to wash my hair every night because it strips hair of natural oil and breaks it so if im not going to shampoo my hair that day then should i not do the treatment

Mary -April 7, 2014, 12:46PM

Will definitely try these remedies/hair recipes! Will buy more of these home ingredient as many as the usual, because now I cant only use it on the kitchen for food but also for hair treatment! Thank you!

Janet Diaz -April 10, 2014, 9:12AM

Thanks for sharing these many wonderful tips. I am familiar with the other tips, following them and getting results too. But i don’t know about carbonated water, it is new to me. I think it would help hair from the frizziness . I’ll surely try this one.

Suzzie -April 17, 2014, 10:02AM

I use the egg and olive oil mask treatment and it makes me feel great. Other times, I use egg, banana, avocado, coconut milk, honey and olive oil (preferably extra virgin) and it feels much much greater than just the egg and the olive oil. I have heard about the ACV. Do you use the Apple Cidar Vinger after rinsing the egg and olive oil mask from your hair?

nay Nwe oo -April 21, 2014, 3:50AM

How I can get apple cider vinegar.

nay Nwe oo -April 21, 2014, 3:53AM

can I get this apple cider vaniger

natural remedies for constipation -April 23, 2014, 5:50AM

What We Haven’t Heard About natural remedies for constipation.

WK987 -April 24, 2014, 9:07PM

I have very curly, frizzy hair, and it has been a challenge for me to find products that reduce frizz while not making my hair feel “crunchy.” My hair dresser started using the Shielo Restoration Oil in my hair after I dry it – and the result is very smooth curls. I really like the Shielo Oil and it smells delicious. I would recommend for anyone with dry or curly hair.