How To Make Aloe Water

Post image for How To Make Aloe Water

Aloe has long been known for its benefits on the outside the body, from soothing sunburn to treating acne and even promoting hair growth (see our post on aloe plant uses & benefits). What’s lesser known, though, is that aloe may have incredible effects when taken internally, as well! Just as aloe can help soothe redness and inflammation on skin, there is belief that drinking aloe water can help decrease irritation and inflammation in the stomach and intestines – so it may be worth a shot if you suffer from an inflammatory disorder such as IBS or colitis.

It’s important to note that the benefits and risks of using aloe internally are still widely debated, so be sure to proceed with caution. I personally suffer from internal inflammation, so I drink aloe water from time to time to help soothe this. If you want to give it a shot, here’s how to make your own aloe water!

You will need an aloe vera plant (or edible aloe vera gel – sold at health food stores), a knife, a spoon, a blender, and water.

Aloe vera plant

First, cut off a leaf from your plant (not to worry — this will seal back up and grow again on its own) and slice it down the middle as pictured.

Cutting aloe plant

Scoop out the clear gel with a spoon, being careful to avoid the yellow portion just below the rind.

How to make aloe water

Aloe, spoon, lace

Add about 2 tablespoons of aloe gel into your blender, along with 1 cup of water, and blend until smooth. Pour into a glass and enjoy! If you don’t like the flavor of aloe water, you can add in some fresh citrus juice, such as orange or grapefruit.

Homemade aloe water

(Don’t actually dip an aloe leaf into your drink — just in case there are harmful materials on the outer layer.)

Aloe water homemade

Stored in the refrigerator, fresh aloe water in a sealed container can last up to a week.

Follow FP Brigette on Twitter.

Tags: , , , ,

Comments

Juliette Laura -August 21, 2013, 9:00AM

This is so interesting! I didn’t even know you could eat (well.. drink) aloe!

xo, Juliette Laura

Jamie -August 21, 2013, 9:18AM

This is such a great idea! I’m always looking for different ways to mix up drinking water.

Megan -August 21, 2013, 1:00PM

Doesn’t seem very appetizing to me, I’ll just stick with using it for sunburn relieve..lol

Julenecakes -August 21, 2013, 2:23PM

I have some aloe juice in my fringe! Totally going to try this with a little lemon juice. Mmmmm. Thanks!

Mandira -August 22, 2013, 6:42AM

Super.

Katie -August 22, 2013, 11:19AM

I bet adding a bit of honey would make it taste so good!

Manda Lynn -August 22, 2013, 4:28PM

Aloe is also amazing for your skin! There are many aloe drinks in Asia with bits of aloe gel in them. They’re pretty yummy. :) You can get them in Asian super stores like H-mart.

Chio -August 22, 2013, 8:57PM

My family has been drinking aloe vera infusions (hot infusions) for years to soothe an upset stomach; but, you know, I’m Mexican so, to me. the intake of cacti and succulent plants is not uncommon.

Hillary -August 26, 2013, 11:42AM

This is GENIUS!! I’ve always kept a plant around for sunburn relief but NEVER thought of taking it internally! Brilliant!

Kate -September 8, 2013, 2:20PM

I just saw a “love your belly smoothie” that used Aloe and coconut water! I haven’t tried drinking aloe yet but this looks awesome!

What is the fabulous nail polish that the gal in the pictures is wearing? I LOVE it!!

KAIT -November 27, 2013, 1:56PM

what a clever idea – gotta try this :)

Travel Chatter -December 11, 2013, 1:32PM

Great..! If Im not mistaking it is best for the hair. Thankxx.

Kyle -December 12, 2013, 10:56PM

I buy a drink with aloe chunks in it. It also has honey. It is very tasty but kind of expensive ($2.19 for 16.9 oz). I came across your site looking for ways to make my own. I hope it’s just as good.

cheryl -January 8, 2014, 11:23AM

I would like to try the home made aloe drink, but I’ve heard to do any good you have to use the whole leaf. Skin and all. Have you heard anything like this?

car crashes 2014 -January 10, 2014, 4:14AM

Hi there everybody, here every person is sharing such know-how, so it’s good to
read this web site, and I used to pay a visit this webpage daily.

pramod -January 15, 2014, 12:06AM

much interesting, come on friends go for it

tiger62 -March 15, 2014, 1:01PM

Wife makes aloe vera water, but puts the get directly into a pitcher of water and lets it
sit in the frig, and whenever I drink it i refill the pitcher with water as the gel sits at the
bottom and it lasts about a week before I run out and she makes some more. More
potent than using the blender as you can taste the thinckness of the water. I do not use
any juice as the taste is almost like water, and i prefer it pure .

Shawna -April 12, 2014, 8:04AM

Instead of having to make it or if you don’t have an aloe plant order from me!

Amanda -July 8, 2014, 8:40PM

Thanks for the recipe! I am new to the world of ingesting aloe for health benefits. We have HUGE aloe plants at the house and I just realized I have been sitting on a nutritional gold mine for years now. I put some aloe gel into my Shakeology this morning and loved it. I could not taste a difference. However, just adding it into some water with orange in it tasted yucky. Seems like I might have not used enough water and too much gel. I am going to keep trying it out; the benefits are too awesome to pass up.

lsj -July 10, 2014, 11:00AM

may i ask where you got the glass tumblers you used in this post? thank you!

Dsouza Jenny -July 21, 2014, 3:37AM

Amazing post! I have been using aloe Vera juice from long time for internal cleaning. No doubt it is the best natural remedy full of nutrients!
You can also try out herbal Aloe Vera Supplements that give you quick result.

Peaches -October 30, 2014, 10:15AM

Thanks for the tip it is very inexpensive and has so much benefits. Just rub it on your skin or use as leave in conditioner for your hair.