Restricted Diets: Grain-Free Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Post image for Restricted Diets: Grain-Free Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

This post is part of our restricted diet series from Beth of Tasty Yummies.

I am not sure why, but I have been craving chocolate chip cookies like crazy lately. There is something so comforting about them. I wanted to play with a simple grain-free version that used almond butter, so it would basically be the healthy cookie child of a peanut butter cookie and chocolate chip cookie.  Besides being grain-free (and therefore gluten-free) these cookies are also dairy-free and low in sugar. I love how easy they are to make and I have to say I am quite surprised at their soft and chewy texture. The sea salt is a really nice compliment to these cookies. If you love salty and sweet together, I highly recommend an additional sprinkle on top of the cookies of some course sea salt at the end!

I used mini chocolate chips this time because I love having a little chocolate in every bite and I also didn’t want the larger chips to interfere with the sturdiness of the cookies, since this time I was making them to be used in the ice cream sandwiches. Feel free to use regular chocolate chips or even chocolate chunks — you could also add in toasted almonds slivers, too.  The coconut sugar isn’t a necessity to the recipe, but I love the flavor it gives baked goods like these cookies.

grain free chocolate chip cookies

Grain-free Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies – Gluten-Free + Dairy-Free

Makes 12-18 cookies

1 cup creamy unsweetened, unsalted organic almond butter (if you are allergic to nuts, try sunflower seed butter)

1 local farm fresh egg

2 tablespoons coconut sugar (raw sugar or brown sugar would also work)

1/4 cup honey* (or maple syrup)

1 tablespoon ground flaxseed

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon sea salt

1/2 cup mini dairy-free chocolate chips (I like Enjoy Life brand)

grain free chocolate chip cookies

Preheat oven to 350º F. Line your baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a medium-sized mixing bowl, or the bowl of your standup mixer, add the almond butter, egg, coconut sugar, honey (or maple syrup), ground flaxseed, vanilla, baking soda and salt. Beat until smooth and creamy; approximately 2 to 3 minutes. You may have to stop it once or twice to scrape down the sides. Fold in the mini chocolate chips with a spatula.

Drop rounded tablespoons of the dough onto the parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cookies turn a slight golden brown; they will be slightly puffy but they go down as they cool! Cool the cookies right on the baking sheet for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. They are quite fragile when they first come out, so don’t rush moving them, give them the full 10 minutes. Repeat with any remaining dough. Makes 12-18 cookies, depending on the size you make your cookies.

*I used local raw honey, in its liquid state.

grain free chocolate chip cookies

**BONUS RECIPE**  Head over to my site today where I am sharing a recipe for super easy to make, delicious chocolate chip banana ice cream sandwiches using these yummy grain-free cookies!

More healthy recipes from the BLDG 25 Blog.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Comments

Stephanie Claire -August 15, 2013, 8:46AM

Oh my gosh! This is a life saver! It’s my birthday at the end of the month and as part of my ‘Life Project’ I’m on a gluten free diet challenge!

Juliette Laura -August 15, 2013, 11:32AM

Oh my goodness these look so delicious! Definitely going to have to try this!

xo, Juliette Laura

mandira -August 15, 2013, 8:02PM

Any way to make these without an egg?

Jannett -August 15, 2013, 8:13PM

Hi just wondering if the sugar is absolutely necessary for the texture of the cookie. can I just use more honey or maple syrup or some other form of sweetener like mesquite or maca powder or dates. These look yummy btw!

Beth @ Tasty Yummies -August 15, 2013, 8:21PM

@jannett please read the full post, I actually discuss the sugar right in the post. Thanks.

Beth @ Tasty Yummies -August 15, 2013, 8:22PM

@mandira You can try an egg-replacer but it will likely change the texture of the cookie, since besides binding it gives the cookie the fluffy softness. You also may want to add a small amount of flour of some sort, too. Let me know how it turns out without the egg. Thanks.

Paige -August 15, 2013, 9:01PM

Thanks for the recipe, these just made my day!! These are just like the chocolate chip cookies I remember before the days of grain-free! I used sunflower seed butter and they are soooooo good!

Em B -August 16, 2013, 12:32AM

OMG I just made these I LOVE THEM!!! I saw this post this morning and made it after dinner :) I used my own homemade almond butter, some crushed ghirardelli dark chocolate, and brown sugar for this recipe and they turned out divine. It’s a soft, chewy cookie and the combination of honey, almond, and dark chocolate is so perfect. I’m bringing these to my gluten-free friends tomorrow for brunch. Thank you for this recipe :)

Chocolate Tales -August 28, 2013, 12:56PM

I’m not a big fan of a gluten-free stuff but who cares if those cuties are as delicious as described!

Jannett -August 29, 2013, 1:39AM

Also if i don’t have almond butter but i do have almond flour/meal would that work or would i need to change the amount of almond flour or should i just make or buy almond butter lol

Kadija -August 30, 2013, 3:50PM

I know you mentioned egg replacer in a previous comment, but I was wondering about using flax eggs. Since there is already a tbsp of ground flaxseed in this recipe, would I possibly keep that amount, make a flax egg, then add that in as well?…Or just make a flax egg, put only that and no additional flaxseed meal into the recipe, and go with it?

My 4 year old is a cookie monster with quite a few allergies, and he’d love this with no egg. Thank you! :)

stella -September 11, 2013, 12:30AM

can you taste the baking soda in these?? i usually don’t like cookies with baking soda…but these look so good!

Pauline -October 8, 2013, 1:18AM

These were great! I have a friend who is allergic to dairy and gluten so these will be perfect. I actually left out the salt (I hate salt in baked goods), sugar, and chocolate chips (I’m a weirdo who hates them). I put in sliced almonds instead. I also only had some ground chia seeds so used those in place of the flaxseed.

Kathy -January 13, 2014, 1:50PM

I am grain and dairy free and my 2 year old grand daughter is allergic to eggs. I adapted this recipe to meet our needs and to use up bits of different nut butters left in my fridge. I used 1/2 c cashew butter, 1/2 c walnut butter, 1/4 c pecan butter, for the egg, I substituted 1 T apple cider vinegar plus 1 t baking soda. This is in addition to the 1t baking soda called for in the recipe. I also added 1/2 t baking powder. Then followed the rest of the list of ingredients using maple syrup instead of honey. The mix was a little thin so, I put it in the fridge for 30 minutes before spooning it out onto my baking sheet. They turned out great. They puffed up in the oven while baking but fell quite flat as they cooled on the baking sheet. They are soft and sweet and wonderful and taste like the ones I’ve made using grains. I’m so happy and don’t feel deprived now. Thank you for a wonderful recipe!