What Your Hands Say About You

Post image for What Your Hands Say About You

UPDATE: This post originally ran on July 23rd, but we are still so fascinated with this topic we wanted to share it again!

Hands. We are constantly using them. Throughout the day they are always at work, but have you ever wondered what else they can do? From your palm lines to the size and shape of your hand, each part holds a special meaning that is specific to you and your personality.

Palmistry has been around for thousands of years, and it is the art of telling the future through the study of the palm — but it can also teach you a lot about your character. I have always been very fascinated by this aspect of palm reading. I think it’s awesome that you can learn so much about yourself just from looking down at your palms and deciphering the lines. After doing a lot of research, I’ve put together a fun little guide that you can use to help read your own palms. This is a fun thing to do with your friends or a cool party trick, and just like most things, you get better with practice!

reading palm

Hand Shape

Earth hands- Earth hands are defined by a square palm — where the width is equal to the length — and having shorter fingers.

Air hands- Palm is square or rectangular in shape, with long fingers, defined knuckles and low set thumbs.

Water hands- Water hands tend to have a short and oval shaped palm with long and flexible fingers. The length of the palm from the wrist to the bottom of the fingers is equal to the length of the fingers.

Fire hands- Fire hands are defined by a square or rectangular palm, pinkish skin, and shorter fingers. The length of the palm is normally greater than the length of the fingers.

*Earth and Water hands tend to have fewer but deeper palm lines. The major lines are normally well defined, where air and fire hands tend to have a lot of lines and creases with less definition.

palm diagram

Defining your palm lines

There are three major lines that are found on almost all hands that are the most commonly read. Palm readers tend to pay the most attention to these lines. In determining which hand to read, it is most common to choose your dominant hand. This represents your present and past life, and your less dominant hand represents your life ahead.

Heart line

The heart line is found towards the top of the palm and represents love and attraction, matters of the heart, and emotional living.

If your heart line starts under your index finger, you are satisfied in your love life.

If your heart line starts beneath your middle finger, you tend to be selfish when you are in love.

If your heart line starts between your index finger and middle finger, it is believed that you fall in love easily!

Short line- You may be interested in other things other than romance.

Long line- You express your emotional and romantic feelings very easily.

Wavy line- You may have many relationships during your lifetime, and a few of them have the potential to be very serious!

Head line

The head line sits just below the heart line, and represents the human mind and the way it works. This includes intellectualism, creativity and the amount of knowledge you crave.

A general, curvy line means you are creative and spontaneous, where a straight line means you are more practical and structured.

Short line- You like physical accomplishments. You would choose to go for a run or hike rather than watch a movie.

Long line- You are a clear and focused thinker.

Wavy line- You have a short attention span and tend to get distracted easily.

holding crystal

Life Line

This line starts at the edge of your palm above the thumb and arches downward towards your wrist. The life line represents your general well being. Don’t worry, a short life line does not mean you are going to have a short life!

If your life line is close to your thumb, you tend to have low energy and like to sleep a lot.

If it is wide and curvy, you have a lot of energy and feel rested most of the time.

If your line is straight and stays close to the edge of your palm, you take extra caution in most of your relationships.

A long and defined line represents inner strength and vitality.

A short and shallow line means that you could be easily manipulated by others.

If there is a break in your line, this could represent a major change in lifestyle, or a physical move.

hands in focus

The art of palm reading can get very deep and technical due to the amount of lines and creases we all have on our hands, but it’s fun to learn about the basic lines and try it out for yourself!

Have you ever had your palm read? Post a comment about your experience below!

More inspirational posts from the BLDG 25 Blog.

Follow FP Jana on Twitter.

Tags: , , , ,

Comments

clare -July 23, 2013, 8:07AM

One of my old coworkers really liked palm reading and astrology. Every once in a while she would look at my hands and tell me a little tidbit. I would like to get an actual reading sometime. I’ve always liked the idea that my hands could say more about me than I could ever know.

Eva -July 23, 2013, 8:24AM

love this Jana…the lines that match my palm are right on point! This is so cool, now I might want my palm read…I also love that picture for the story – it’s perfect!

meg -July 23, 2013, 8:57AM

So, I have air hands. That’s probably why I am always waving them when I talk

Juliette Laura -July 23, 2013, 9:17AM

Oh so fun! All of lines are so accurate! I love things like this. And the top picture, tooo cool.

xo, Juliette Laura
http//www.etsy.com/shop/InfiniteStyleShop

Ashley -July 23, 2013, 11:47AM

Hi Jana! love love this! great post.

fp jana -July 23, 2013, 11:50AM

Thanks, Ashley and Eva!

Christina -July 23, 2013, 12:57PM

I read an article in National Geographic about the different hand in mammals and the opening sentence was soo inspiring – The hand is where the mind meets the World. Thanks for posting, So remarkable.

anastacia -July 23, 2013, 3:45PM

This is really accurate! Thank you for the lovely post, Jana!

Kailee Anne -July 23, 2013, 6:41PM

I’ve always been fascinated by palmistry, and this post just made me all the more curious. For the most part, everything seems to match up, save the shape of my hands. I just can’t figure which mine are… But I love the article all around, the images you used to illustrate it, especially the third… You beautiful souls there at FP never cease to inspire!

Mary-Kaitlyn -July 24, 2013, 12:28PM

I love this post, Jana! It is very inspiring and makes me want to look more into palm reading! I’ve had my palms read once by a classmate a few years ago, and she made my palms seem so depressing. But reading this gave me a much more positive perspective to the art! Thank you for showing the positive side of it!

reader -July 24, 2013, 4:16PM

Do you read the dominant or other hand? Lines on my hands are different. Pics or line drawings of samples would have been helpful to supplement the text. Thanks.

Sarah K -July 25, 2013, 5:36AM

Hello :-),
I just read my dominant hand . I love this post and your great illustration :-)

Kristi -July 25, 2013, 6:31AM

AH! Thank you for this, I just spent a good 10 minutes trying to decode my dominant (right) hand. Thinkin about seeing a palm reader. :))

Bonnie -July 25, 2013, 12:16PM

I have friends that are Romanian Gypsies, Rita would always read the dominant hand, and something interesting is IF your lines are not deep, it means you haven’t had a “hard” life!

Shelby -July 25, 2013, 4:54PM

I am a tarot reader but palmistry is definitely a weakness of mine (both for having them done and for my inability to read beyond the basics) but I recently had a palm reading done. Great experience! I’ll be living a long time and will eventually travel like I want to :)

Sedona -August 1, 2013, 6:53PM

This reading was almost exact for me and my friends readings.

Kimmy -August 24, 2013, 8:47AM

thats so beautiful! i love this palm reading so much, apparently i have earth hands (which i just love to think about) my heart line starts under my index finger, i have a long heart line and a curved life line and its deep and defined.
this post made me feel better about myself as a person and i thank you for that!

Shelley -August 24, 2013, 4:51PM

Very interesting! I have to give this one another read!

Sita -August 24, 2013, 11:16PM
Alexa Sonken {Invitations for Creatives} -August 24, 2013, 11:39PM

This is super interesting!! And lovely photos as always!

Hayley -August 25, 2013, 2:22AM

Fun idea! I tried to do it, but honestly it got kind of laughable at a certain point, “Thick, thin, long, shot, close to your thumb, wavy, straight, deep, shallow,” EVERY single one of these descriptors is pretty subjective and I could not for the life of me really define any of them by looking at my palms. Only clear one was the first. Kinda has me jonesing for a real palm reading now though …Does my palm reflect how suggestible I am?

Julenecakes -August 26, 2013, 12:42PM

The only thing I could figure out is that I have air hands. Palm reading is so interesting, but I think I’ll leave it to the professionals. It was a fun read though! :)

Gypsy Plunder Vintage (15% Off Sale)

Dani Rose -August 30, 2013, 2:10PM

Thanks for sharing this article! I apparently have fire hands which makes me happy, so I decided to read on. ;)

I found my answers to be incredibly true, and found the other options to not really fit me at all. That was really fun. I’ve always thought palm reading was interesting. Once, I was at a festival and had my palm read and she was 100% spot on. Down to where I wanted to go to school, the relationship I have with a guy and my favorite color (which no, I was not wearing). I really wish I could find her again.

shikha -September 19, 2013, 1:27AM

Gorgeous photos. Lovely idea.http://www.psdaimaandsons

tani -October 3, 2013, 8:03AM

i have a straight line between my head and heart line…its not the simian line… cause the head line and the heart line dont merge but their in contact with each other through these lines what does it mean please help.

jyshearia woods -February 10, 2014, 12:24PM

what do it mean if you have a k in your life line

jyshearia woods -February 10, 2014, 12:26PM

can you tell me

mshafer -April 28, 2014, 8:06PM

Would like to have a reading. How does one select a competent reader?

Bay -September 10, 2014, 4:55PM

Wow this is really cool

Bay -September 10, 2014, 4:56PM

Wow

kiwanuka Joseph -October 8, 2014, 2:55PM

Hey….I only have two dark lines in my palm. The head line and life line. And the other one is too dull which actually. Is my head line…but its not dark at all….and its broken …that I don’t know whether its a real line. I’ve been so worried about my palm print…please enlighten me….should I be scared.

Mary -November 23, 2014, 2:46PM

I would like to get my palms read

jenny -November 25, 2014, 1:28AM

there’s a break in my head line, so what does it mean?