Stay inspired and dont miss a thing. Weekly updates from BLDG 25

How To Strengthen Your Nails

Post image for How To Strengthen Your Nails

No matter how many vitamins I take, my fingernails always seem to break so easily.  It makes it nearly impossible to ever grow them, plus it can be painful when they catch on things and tear.  I’ve been looking into what I can do to make them stronger and have found quite a few remedies that I wanted to share here on the blog today – if you have any of your own tried-and-true remedies, please share in the comments!

how to strengthen nails

For starters, when filing your nails, only file in one direction – NOT back and forth. I never knew this, but filing back and forth can worsen damaged nails and cause splitting.

how to strengthen nails

Certain oils are great for strengthening your nails – particularly olive oil, vitamin E oil and tea tree oil! Olive oil is extremely moisturizing and easily absorbed into the skin and nails.  Soak your nails in  a dish of olive oil for about 20 minutes once a week, or every day for a few minutes, to feel its full affect.  Tea tree oil is a powerful antiseptic that can remedy discolored nails and prevent fungus, in addition to repairing and strengthening damaged nails. Lastly, vitamin E oil is another great moisturizer that is rich in antioxidants and also has the added benefit of a very light scent. Apply it to your nails and cuticles and soak up its restorative properties!

how to strengthen nails

how to strengthen nails

Moisturizing your nails is just as important as moisturizing your skin – but it’s not something I ever think to do. Washing your hands can really dry out your nails, and keeping them moisturized is one of the easiest ways to keep them strong and healthy.  Vaseline is an excellent way to keep them moisturized.  Massage it into the nails to get the blood circulating, and if you have really dry and damaged nails, put on a pair of gloves after applying the Vaseline to lock in the moisture (many recommend doing this before bed and sleeping with gloves on).

how to strengthen nails

how to strengthen nails

Nails contain a lot of sulfur, and another way to strengthen them is to eat foods that are also high in sulfur – like broccoli, onions, and garlic.  The sulfur in these foods will not only help to repair nails but will give them added shine.

how to strengthen nails

Do you have any tips for strengthening nails? Share in the comments!

Jewelry pictured: Assorted Cluster Brass Bracelet, Trapped Crystal Cuff, Filagree Skinny Hard Bangle Set, Stacking Ring Set, Smokey Mountain Stone Ring, Novelty Flip Ring.

Follow FP Julia on twitter.

Tags: , , , ,

Magreet -August 20, 2013, 9:08AM

I love these tips! I take Biotin everyday and I found out it really helps me strengthen my nails + hair!

Juliette Laura -August 20, 2013, 9:52AM

Oh just what I needed! So perfect. I use coconut oil instead of vaseline and it works wonders! I use it as a cuticle cream. But the olive, tea tree, and E oil suggestion is perfect. Definitely trying it.

xo, Juliette Laura

Lindsey -August 20, 2013, 11:12AM

I too have started using biotin and it has been great for my hair and nails!

FYI: tea tree oil…if very concentrated….can be corrosive and damaging to the skin, so for this reason I would suggest diluting it. Maybe if you mixed the tea tree oil, olive oil, and vitamin e oil together and used that to soak your nails in :) gonna try it tonight

Tori -August 20, 2013, 2:55PM

Thanks for sharing! My nails have been in horrible shape lately. Something I do is use coconut oil on my nails. I just rub it on, like the vaseline, before bed and it seems to help!

K -August 20, 2013, 3:10PM

Coconut oil after washing your hands (so it seals in the water)! Also NailTek is a lifesaver and totally changed my nails.

Jasmine -August 20, 2013, 5:23PM

Every night before I go to bed and coat my hands and nails in coconut oil. My nails have never been stronger and longer and the splitting is virtually gone. I had to stop using nail polish because the remover made my nails super weak, so if I want a shine, I just buff them.

Shiloh -August 20, 2013, 5:24PM

Biotin for sure! I take two 5,000 mcg capsules daily and it’s made all the difference

Lucille -August 20, 2013, 5:54PM

I use an olive oil & beeswax balm over my fingernails & cuticles, bought from a healthfood store, although you could try Etsy or make your own, the beeswax seals in the olive oil. I apply right after I shower & after a few months of use I have strong long healthy nails. I even bought some for my mom, she loves it because her hands/nails get dry from gardening. Olive oil really does work wonders… I used the balm to give my fellow pedicures (yeah, he’s spoiled rotten!) and the stuff even transformed scary man toes!!! Speaking of which, if you have trouble with your big toe toenails curling & cutting into your toes on the sides, try letting the nail get a bit long then square it off as opposed to cropping it close & rounded. You can train it not to dig in… Random helpful hint….

Moira -August 20, 2013, 6:58PM

Collagen supplements!

Allison -August 20, 2013, 7:45PM

For a non-petroleum (I.E., not eco conscious) alternative try coconut oil, shea butter, cocoa butter, the list goes on!

Michelle -August 20, 2013, 8:47PM

Silica supplements! My nails were always so brittle and now they grow so fast and so long!

Christina -August 21, 2013, 1:57AM

As some of the other ladies said, Coconut Oil! I used to have horrible brittle, peeling nails. Coconut Oil strengthened them like nobody’s business! :D

Thank you for the tips! I shall try these as well.

Natalie Newman -August 21, 2013, 2:01AM

In Traditional Chinese Medicine nails belong to the element “wood”. Nails that break easily or have an unnatural color may mean that something is wrong with your liver or gallbladder. My personal element is wood too and whenever I drink alcohol (and I hardly ever drink and if, it´s only a glass of red wine or a sip of beer) or eat rich or grilled things you can always tell by my nails.

This might be helpful to give you a little bit more insight. (I did not write it, but I think the article gives a quick insight on what´s going on.)

Angelique N -August 21, 2013, 2:22PM

Coconut oil is MUCH better than Vaseline for your nails. Vaseline is petroleum based and actually DRIES out your skin or nails in the long-run. I’m surprised Free People would advocate it on their blog. If you’re curious about coconut oil’s benefits, there’s a lot of info on coconut :)

Julenecakes -August 21, 2013, 2:27PM

Great tips! I love your jewelry! Gorgeous hands. :)

Sheila Barrett -November 12, 2013, 2:07AM

Eat Knox gelatin. It works!

Annie -December 19, 2013, 8:51PM

Nice, I have tea tree oil, i will definitely try..
Have to ask,,where did you got the big ring in your right middle finger ?

Sweet Painted Lady -January 31, 2014, 4:17AM

Duri Rejouvacoat saved my nails big time, never had such nice nails until the combination of duri and lush’s lemony flutter cuticle cream. Totally worth trying in my opinion. Couldn’t survive with out them now

Amy -May 22, 2014, 12:14PM

A glass nail file smoothes nail edges so the nail does not catch and snag.

Nicole -May 22, 2014, 5:40PM

Can coconut oil help your nails grow as Well?

Jem -September 5, 2014, 1:03AM

In the past I have found that a blend of beeswax and almond oil applied every night to the nails and cuticles worked wonders for my nails. It took about 3 months to see a difference, but it was worth it.

Maci -October 6, 2014, 1:14PM

I like to use Palmers cocoa butter hand cream on my nails every morning and night. It makes them shiny and after I do this for about two weeks my nails look like I just polished them with clear polish, and they are super long and pretty, and nail polish lasts way longer than it used to. :) I will definitely try some of the methods listed above! :)

Carolyn -January 21, 2015, 5:04PM

Knox Gelatin capsuls. Beats drink knox or eating a lot of jello.

Amber -April 13, 2015, 8:57PM

Allqua natural alkaline water! It contains sulfur among other trace minerals. I wasn’t a believer at first but after a few weeks of drinking this water my nails were stronger than every.

Stacy Rutter -April 30, 2015, 10:34PM

I like firmfemme Nail Cream. this one requires multiple drops per day and you need to massage them in and wait for it to dry. It does work .. but it does take longer

Health Cure Tips -May 7, 2015, 6:24AM

To make your nails stronger naturally, here are few home remedies that you can try. All these tips are completely natural and effective

L. Lepone -June 1, 2015, 6:38AM

Hi ..

I’ve heard that COCONUT OIL Capsules / Vitamin…. really aid in growth

I have incorporated also MOISTURIZING practically every day… .. and also taking the COCONUT OIL Capsules..

Where can I post a PIC…… my Nails are heavenly… LONG and STRONG! :)

bana -June 1, 2015, 6:47PM

Use flexi nail it’s magic

Leslie -June 28, 2015, 4:35AM

Vaseline has no moisturizing qualities. It is a byproduct of gasoline refinery.

Cazzerie -July 17, 2015, 4:12PM

Thanks for these helpful tips! These tips did a wonderful job on my nails! They are really helpful! I suggest other people to try it as well! ❤️

Ev -August 31, 2015, 4:52PM

I have to disagree on a few things. Vaseline is a petroleum based product and not good for use on the body at all. It is a known carcenogen. (spelling) I find that Coconut Oil is the best and is one of the few oils that can enter the skin and hair and repair. The MCT fatty acids are awesome. That on my skin and nails help, but when I began drinking infused water with Tumeric, Cayenne, Ginger and Cinnamin my nails grew faster than ever before and stopped breaking and splitting.

They grew so fast it was insane. I would add a little coconut oil to my drink infusion and it aided my body in assimilating the benefits of the infused water. When I researched the vitamin and trace minerals provided by each of these spices I was surprised. They addressed a potential deficiency which brittle nails is.

When you address possible/potential vitamin and mineral deficiencies it will resolve so many issues outside of what you are even initially using them for.

Alexis -September 23, 2015, 7:59PM

Can u someone please help me grow my nails way faster?

Nail Luxxe -October 24, 2015, 7:44PM

Fantastic tips! Especially about using oils: they really keep your nails hydrated and nourished. Also try using a glass nail file – this really helps prevent breakage to your nails, sealing the free edge and stopping snags. It’s a nail miracle!

Joan Kahn -October 29, 2015, 4:15PM

Hi ladies,
Please pop over to my Facebook page Tip Top Nails South Africa (not the group). As the founder of Tip Top Natural Nail Products and as an ex teacher/lecturer in beauty schools throughout South Africa, I cover many topics on how to deal with the natural nail and I’d love to share the information with all of you.
You will learn about the parts of the nail, what makes healthy beautiful nails, how to file your nails, the importance of cuticle oil etc.
Please feel free to ask questions and I will gladly give you truthful answers. Having dealt with the natural nail for 35 years and having studied the nail as a science I’d love to spread the knowledge of the natural nail. I have helped many of our fans to grow their own beautiful natural nails. Every woman can have her own beautiful nails will simple steps to follow.
Looking forward to chatting to all of you in the future.
Yours in beauty
Joan Kahn

Viviana -November 3, 2015, 3:24PM

I love the nails and I love this tips, are very useful. We have care our nails because they are part of our presentation, and of course if we have a strong nails we can make a variety of design in them.

uñas decoradas