How To Fake A Haircut

Post image for How To Fake A Haircut

UPDATE: This post originally ran on August 14th, but fall is a great time to change up your look so we wanted to run it again!

Has this ever happened to you? You need a change, so you chop off all your hair. A week later, you decide you want long hair again – and it takes you a year to grow it back.  I’ve always wished there was a way to instantly switch up hair lengths without using extensions or a wig… and I recently found out that there is.

All you need is two spin pins and a good hairdresser to give you the proper haircut. In this case, the “proper haircut” refers to lots of long layers that start just beneath your ear.

Spin pins

First, determine which layers you’d like to keep visible, and secure that section on top of your head to get it out of the way.

Hair half up

Take the remaining hair and form a bun, as flat as you can get it, near the nape of your neck.

Bun, red nails

Insert a spin pin through the bun at an angle, as shown below.

Spin pin, bun

Insert a second spin pin through the bun on the other side, so that the pins form an “X” shape.

Spin pin, bun 2

Fake haircut

Let the top section of hair back down, being sure to cover the bun with it.

Faking a haircut

Enjoy your new short hair!

Fake a haircut

More beauty tricks from BLDG 25!

Follow FP Brigette on Twitter.

Tags: , , , ,

Comments

Darta -August 14, 2013, 8:52AM

Hi!
Where can i buy this fake hairecute?

Juliette Laura -August 14, 2013, 9:19AM

Oh goodness I love this! It looks so so good, and she is so beautiful! Definitely going to try this.

xo, Juliette Laura

Stephanie Claire -August 14, 2013, 9:42AM

I can never get those pins to work in my really thick hair! Or get a bun to stay in place! Suggestions please? x

Lucy May -August 14, 2013, 9:49AM

I love this! It’s such an easy way to make your hair feel more versatile! I have been thinking about going short for a while and now I know how to do this properly, I don’t need to :)

x

Taylor -August 14, 2013, 10:57AM

love this! you can also get the same effect by putting the bottom layer of your hair into a low pony and pulling the elastic towards the ends of you hair and then pinning it. Then let the top layer fall. :)
xx
~Taylor

Alexa Sonken {Invitations for Creatives} -August 14, 2013, 12:17PM

I LOVE this, such a good idea for freshening up your look.

Irena -August 14, 2013, 12:21PM

I swear to god I went to high school with this girl back in WA state. this is adorable though, love it!

Natalie -August 14, 2013, 12:49PM

LOVE this!!!! Definitely need to try it asap! :) So perfect to try out short hair without commitment!!

xoxo
Halfway to Harmony

meg -August 14, 2013, 3:05PM

Umm….this is seriously amazing!

Sis -August 14, 2013, 4:02PM

if you dont have layers you can:
separate the hair in two
make a bun with the lower halfand pin it flat
bend the rest of hair and pin it so it looks like a bob
(if you have layers, curl the shortest ones so it looks more natural)

Jenny Ekberg -August 14, 2013, 8:53PM

I had waist-long hair, and after a personal crisis I had it all chopped off into a micro-pixie. It looked great but I missed my long hair and now I am painfully slowly growing it out. Wish I’d done what this girl did instead :o)

Alexa -August 15, 2013, 8:28PM

Hey ladies! I know how you feel and I could not part with my long hair either! This was such a great alternative! I’m loving all your additional suggestions! Irena, I am from WA!! :) West coasties <3 Remember to follow me on FP ME! AlexaLeighFP ! Xoxo

vivi -August 16, 2013, 10:09AM

I found Goody Brand Spin Pins at the dollar store. (two in a box). Although the short hair trick didn’t work for me I really love these pins. I expected they would become a tangled crazy mess but they easily screw in and out.

Annejelina -September 7, 2013, 10:50AM

Nifty trick, I will try this sometime on my locks =D
<3 Annejeila xoxo

Visit my shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrownofCreationShop

ferina -September 8, 2013, 10:05PM

this is a great trick. But i was more drawn with the beautiful red floral kimono she is wearing. Where can i get it? pls let me know. thank you!

Megan @ Lush to Blush -September 9, 2013, 11:17AM

This is a great idea! I will definitely have to try it. Thanks for sharing!!

xo Megan, http://lushtoblush.com/

DIYEARTE ♦ DIY -September 11, 2013, 4:19AM

great idea!!!! I have to try it!!

WE❤DIY: