Cleaning your jewelry is the perfect way to give an older piece a fresh, new look. I have certain pieces that I wear almost every day, and I never realize how tarnished they’ve become until I give them a nice cleaning. Today I have a recipe for a homemade jewelry cleaner that can be made with materials that you’re likely to already have in your home. It’s incredible how well this cleaner actually works, and it only takes 10 minutes! I would recommend sticking to solely using this on metals, just in case the ingredients could react unfavorably on precious stones or gems.
1 cup boiling water
½ cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon baking soda
1. Line your pan with foil, shiny side up. Lay your jewelry in the pan, making sure all parts are in contact with the foil.
2. Mix water, salt, and baking soda together, and slowly pour into the pan.
3. Slowly add the vinegar into the pan. You will see lots of bubbles form as the mixture does its work!
4. Let everything sit for 5-10 minutes, using a spoon, if necessary, to reposition the jewelry and to stir the mixture.
5. Rinse your jewelry with cold water, and then dry. Easy peasy!
With a cleaner this easy, there’s no excuse for me to wear a tarnished piece ever again! Do you have any other recipes for a homemade jewelry cleaner? Let us know!
Follow FP Brigette on Twitter.