Homemade Natural 10-Minute Jewelry Cleaner

Post image for Homemade Natural 10-Minute Jewelry Cleaner

Cleaning your jewelry is the perfect way to give an older piece a fresh, new look. I have certain pieces that I wear almost every day, and I never realize how tarnished they’ve become until I give them a nice cleaning. Today I have a recipe for a homemade jewelry cleaner that can be made with materials that you’re likely to already have in your home. It’s incredible how well this cleaner actually works, and it only takes 10 minutes! I would recommend sticking to solely using this on metals, just in case the ingredients could react unfavorably on precious stones or gems.

Homemade Natural Jewelry Cleaner

Materials:
Baking pan
Aluminum foil
1 cup boiling water
½ cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon baking soda

Directions:

1. Line your pan with foil, shiny side up. Lay your jewelry in the pan, making sure all parts are in contact with the foil.

How to clean jewelry

2. Mix water, salt, and baking soda together, and slowly pour into the pan.

3. Slowly add the vinegar into the pan. You will see lots of bubbles form as the mixture does its work!

Natural jewelry cleaner bubbling

4. Let everything sit for 5-10 minutes, using a spoon, if necessary, to reposition the jewelry and to stir the mixture.

5. Rinse your jewelry with cold water, and then dry. Easy peasy!

Clean Jewelry

With a cleaner this easy, there’s no excuse for me to wear a tarnished piece ever again! Do you have any other recipes for a homemade jewelry cleaner? Let us know!

Follow FP Brigette on Twitter.

Tags: , , ,

Comments

Melinda -September 26, 2013, 9:38AM

I just purchased a gorgeous really old/vintage squash blossom necklace. I was scared to use anything abraisive as it is pretty black with patina. I used toothpaste and a toothbrush to clean the front areas of the necklace but Im not sure if I should clean all the history off of it? any suggestions on what or if you are meant to take off the patina on these old treasures. By the way, toothpaste works brilliantly.

Dani -September 26, 2013, 9:54AM

Oooh! This is a new technique I haven’t heard of!
I make a paste out of baking soda and water and just buff my jewelry with it, but this would be a much easier way to do multiple pieces at once! Can’t wait to try :)

<3 dani

Lucille -September 26, 2013, 10:54AM

Melinda- my boyfriend used to sell Native jewelry here in Santa Fe, both vintage & new. He says concerning antique squashblossoms removing the vintage patina can lower the “value” of the piece. He says there are two basic types, those that have a “hammered” or “rough” finish, & those that have a sandcast “smooth” finish. Only the smooth finish are polished with any regularity, but even those if they have a patina on them should be left that way until sold. :)

jelena -September 26, 2013, 11:51AM

this is great, i was thinking in the morning what should I do to brighten my silver necklace, this came perfectly, thanks! =)

meg -September 26, 2013, 2:58PM

Sometimes I use toothpaste. ;)
It works too!

Andrea -October 1, 2013, 2:49PM

hello! is this only to clean “real jewelry” or can it be used for cheap, store-bought jewelry that have been tarnished and brassy as well? Thank You :)

Jim -October 9, 2013, 8:52AM

Hah.. did you know that coca-cola can do the same? Of course Pepsi as well. Just leave your silver jewelry in cola for a little while and it will spark.

Alexandra -October 10, 2013, 8:23PM

In the case of the lion ring pictured: it looks like you actually just rubbed the patina out of the recesses. Patina is intentionally applied to give metal an antique finish.

karen -November 6, 2013, 3:07PM

wonderful, thanks!

paul -November 13, 2013, 8:11PM

I am using connisseurs jewellery cleaner . My ring is of ruby and diamonds. Is it ok to dip in the cleaner every day? It is also mentioned on the back of the container that that this cleaner can remove light scratces? Is this true.
Regards,
Paul

pearl bracelet -November 30, 2013, 11:01AM

Oh my goodness I NEED these!!!hello! is this only to clean “real jewelry” or can it be used for cheap, pearl bracelet

SherylMJS -December 2, 2013, 1:24AM

There are things that can help on a daily basis, just to clean your jewellery a little. But if you want your jewellery to look like new, take it to a local jeweller, and ask for a clean & polish.

Skysti muilai -February 24, 2014, 6:41AM

Who could have though that cleaning jewelry can be so easy and inexpensive using what most of us have in the house, great advice!