2-In-1 Homemade Moisturizing Mask For Face & Hair

Post image for 2-In-1 Homemade Moisturizing Mask For Face & Hair

UPDATE: This post originally ran on October 24th but as the weather gets drier, we wanted to share it again!

We’re always trying out different homemade beauty recipes, and after doing so many, I’ve come to realize that there are many ingredients  that are beneficial for both the skin and hair. Today I’m sharing a recipe for a dual face & hair mask. The ingredients are so natural, you could even eat it. As the weather gets cooler and dryer, our hair and skin begin to head in that direction, too. This mask will help lock moisture in, leaving you with skin and hair so soft, you won’t even know what season it is.

First, here are the ingredients, as well as a few of the many ways they’ll benefit both your skin and hair.

Skin and hair mask ingredients

Honey

Hair: Honey acts as a humectant, attracting moisture to your hair. It improves the health of hair follicles and the scalp, and adds a natural shine.

Skin: Honey fights infections below the skin’s surface by unclogging pores and cleaning out impurities. Its moisturizing properties protect from dryness while also preventing wrinkles. Honey is a great source of antioxidants and has the ability to protect skin from UV rays.

Banana

Hair: Bananas are rich in potassium, which helps soften hair, while preventing split ends and breakage.

Skin: The vitamin C and B6 present in bananas helps to maintain skin’s elasticity, resulting in younger-looking skin. Bananas are a natural moisturizer and are known to give skin a healthy glow.

Avocado

Hair: Like honey, avocado has humectant properties, helping to lock moisture into your strands.  Its vitamins, amino acids, and high fat content promote hair growth and overall scalp health.

Skin: The antioxidants and amino acids present in avocados help rid your body of toxins that may otherwise result in wrinkles. Avocado is also rich in vitamin A, which helps remove dead cells from the surface of your skin.

Sweet Almond Oil & Almond Milk

Hair: Almond oil and almond milk are full of omega-6 fatty acids, which play a large role in hair growth and development; as well as vitamin E which strengthens the hair and moisturizes the scalp.

Skin: Almond oil and almond milk contain vitamin E, which improves complexion by helping to retain moisture, reduce wrinkles, and add a natural glow to skin.

Beauty benefits of honey, banana, avocado, almond milk, and almond oil

And now for the making of the mask!

To make: Combine ½ avocado, 1 medium banana, 1 tablespoon sweet almond oil, 1 tablespoon honey, ¼ cup almond milk. Mash together in a bowl or blend in a blender until well-combined/smooth.

I like using a blender because of the smooth consistency that results — it’s especially good when using on your hair, as you may otherwise be left with chunks of banana or avocado that are hard to remove from hair. Feel free to adjust the ingredient proportions to your liking!

Avocado hair and face mask

To use on face: Apply a generous amount to clean, dry skin and let sit for about a half hour. Rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry.

2-in-1 hair and face mask

To use on hair: Apply generously to hair, from root to tip, focusing on tip. Pile your hair on top of your head and cover with a shower cap. Let sit for about 45 minutes, then wash and dry your hair as usual.

Blonde long hair

If you get a chance to try out this recipe, let us know how it goes!

Follow FP Brigette on Twitter.

Tags: , , , ,

Comments

jessica -October 24, 2013, 7:35AM

Will this be okay for bleached/white blonde?

jelena -October 24, 2013, 8:29AM

this is great, thanks! =)

Becky -October 24, 2013, 8:35AM

Is there anything that can be substituted for the almond milk/oil for those of us with nut allergies?

meg -October 24, 2013, 9:06AM

This sounds good enough to eat! ;)

fp brigette -October 24, 2013, 9:07AM

Jessica – I would recommend trying it on a small patch of hair first to test it out!

fp brigette -October 24, 2013, 9:10AM

Becky – You can use some coconut oil or olive oil instead, as long as you’re not prone to breakouts. Otherwise, you can just omit the almond milk and oil and use nothing in their place — the mask will still be super hydrating for hair and skin :)

Hemingway -October 24, 2013, 9:11AM

Does this need to be kept in the fridge? Honey is a great preserver, but I wasn’t sure how long it will last with the avocado and banana included.

For the person with a nut allergy, Vitamin E oil might work just as well?

fp brigette -October 24, 2013, 9:15AM

Hemingway – If it’s not going to be used right away, I would definitely say to keep it in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. Avocado has a tendency to go bad pretty quickly once cut open, so I think this may only last for about 24 hours once made. I usually make just enough to use all at once. If the above recipe is too big of a portion, you can always cut it in half! :)

Hemingway -October 24, 2013, 9:22AM

Great, thanks Brigette!

Liz -October 24, 2013, 10:00AM

This looks perfect for the chilly weather causing dry facial skin. I knew honey, banana, and avocado were hydrating and great for hair and skin, but was completely ignorant about almonds. Thanks!

Cheyenne -October 24, 2013, 11:31AM

This is amazing, definitely have to give this a try this weekend!!
xx

Lisa -October 24, 2013, 12:11PM

This looks so amazing! Is there anything that could be substituted for the honey, for us vegans? or would one simply omit?

Joanne -October 24, 2013, 12:16PM

This is awesome and I have this stuff already at home! I need to give this one a try!

Celeste -October 24, 2013, 12:44PM

What can be substituted for avocado for avocado allergy?

Anastasia -October 24, 2013, 12:56PM

Anything about red spots? I’ve never had too many, but lately they seem to increase…. :/

fp brigette -October 24, 2013, 2:30PM

Lisa – You can just omit! You’ll still get great results :)

fp brigette -October 24, 2013, 2:32PM

Celeste — You can just omit the avocado if you’re allergic. It won’t be the same color or consistency, but it will still be an excellent mask!

Juliette Laura -October 24, 2013, 4:42PM

Oh I love this! I have sooo got to make this. Pinned it!

xo, Juliette Laura

Ray H. -October 25, 2013, 10:18AM

Awesome post! I’ve been having a blast experimenting with DIY hair treatments lately, particularly with ones using essential oils like tea tree oil. Do you have any info on how long recipes like the one you posted will keep? I’m wondering if I can make some for Christmas gifts this year

fp brigette -October 25, 2013, 10:27AM

Ray – Unfortunately this one will probably only last about a day in the refrigerator, due to the avocado and banana. If you’re looking for another homemade beauty product that will last, you can try this lip balm or body scrub!

Stine Holmgaard -October 26, 2013, 11:23AM

I just tried it out – and oh my this was a treat :)

However, it might be a good idea to blend it until it is completely smooth. I did not have the patience and ended up with a lot of clumps in my hair that were a bit hard to get out.

The result – a very happy face and gorgeous hair

jessi -October 28, 2013, 10:18PM

this stuff is amazing!!I made it with everything except the almond because I didn’t have that at home. it immediately cleared my face and made it super soft. I cant wait to try it in my hair! it also smells really good:)

mine has been in a mason jar in the fridge for about two days and it still has a nice color and hasn’t gone bad.

gaby -October 28, 2013, 11:05PM

Do you know any recipes to make an eco-friendly shampoo??? (:

syazwin -October 31, 2013, 3:21AM

May i know how long it can last if I keep it in refrigerator ?

uzma musa -November 16, 2013, 8:26PM

this recepie skin is useful for oily skin? plz what made the almond milk or ommit the another ingredient?

Chrissy -November 23, 2013, 5:30PM

How often are you supposed to do this to your hair and skin ?

Victoria -November 23, 2013, 10:37PM

If you’re starting with a whole avocado, you can try putting the pit in the jar with the mask! The pit significantly extends the fridge life of my guac, so I don’t see why it wouldn’t help with the mask!

Calley -November 24, 2013, 8:32PM

I love making homemade beauty products : ) Avocados are so moisturizing, whenever I am cooking with them I always rub it all over my hands and it makes them so smooth.

Maggie -November 29, 2013, 4:23PM

OMG, I just used it on my face and I need to say this – amazing moisturising effect. Does it better than any cream.

sabrina -December 3, 2013, 1:56AM

Just tried it. Super soft skin. and yeah it tastes yummy (sheepish grin).

Zahanara Begum -December 7, 2013, 9:49AM

One of the best choices for a person who has an oily skin is oil free moisturizer. The last thing that a person would really want to have is a moist skin because it causes breakouts while also making the pores clogged up. However, every person would still require a good moisturizer which will exceed the expectations of the user.

Lily Rollin -December 8, 2013, 11:22AM

Using all natural and organic skincare products are getting all the hype in the market nowadays, and that includes the natural face moisturizer. If you are looking for the best ones that you can buy, I made a short list of the products that you should not miss out when shopping for the best facial products produced organically.

Zahanara Begum -December 11, 2013, 10:23PM

Every woman boasts about her hair, in fact it’s among the most prized assets in women, something they just can’t do without. Each year millions of women spend billions of dollars on hair products alone just to avoid breakages, holes, lack of moisture and more.

Anonymous -December 15, 2013, 7:58AM

can this mask be made without the almond milk?

Myspadeal -December 20, 2013, 5:30AM

Hi guys

This is very informative blog and i got very informative knowledge from this blog.Please keep it up posting.

Stephanie -December 29, 2013, 9:36PM

Ooo… I love homemade beauty recipes! I’ve tried hair mask recipes very similar to this one before, and I must say, these ingredients are very effective! Glad I stumbled upon your site! :)

~Stephanie @ http://www.sostephaniesays.com

mohit sharma -January 2, 2014, 7:18AM

I like this
free for everyone free solution of all health problems and more information are in http://www.jkhealthworld.com

Sydney -January 9, 2014, 12:22PM

Is this beneficial for a dry scalp as well? And how long can this product be stored for?

Very excited to try this on both my hair AND face! Thank you so much for all these natural beauty tips. I’ve been slowing moving towards more natural products, and I’m excited to read that I can make my own!

Brooke -January 23, 2014, 12:37PM

How long will it normally keep. – excited about trying it!

blue -February 2, 2014, 11:24AM

nice,and it is beneficial. If you want to know more about skin care and facials do visit.,facial i

blue -February 2, 2014, 11:27AM

facial

angel -February 2, 2014, 11:29AM

Cool, you can even visit to , facial

Necole -February 11, 2014, 2:55PM

Would this work perfectly on all types of skin? I’m one of those people who have bad acne and I wasn’t sure if it would break out my face?

I would love to try this out with my friends. Something like this….is actually creative and very interesting.

Meriyem -February 28, 2014, 1:54PM

I tried this mask last night, my hair is so soft and shiny, and my face is usually dry and flaky if I don’t moisturise 3 to ‘ times a day, but I woke up with perfectly smooth and glowing skin. Thanks !

sanaa -March 5, 2014, 9:31AM

interessant and all the ingredients are in our kitchen

Alex -March 7, 2014, 8:02AM

OMG MY FACE IS SO SOFT!!! I love love love this!

Ross41 -March 16, 2014, 8:17AM

Its so amazing to know that there are home productz that work wounderz like this, am guy and lately i have been doing facial excircise and put on facial musk people tell me am 17yrz where else am 22yrz old feel free to email me and letz work that ugly face off

EU -March 17, 2014, 1:13AM

Hi, for the hair mask after I apply it I shower with shampoo and conditioner as normal? or should I apply it after shampooing?

Lousie -June 2, 2014, 2:26AM

I will surely try this at home today for my hair especially. One more thing I want to say that I read somewhere on http://www.herbaffair.com that Bentonite clay is good for oily skin and tried that and you know what it worked.I was very happy.

Divina -July 1, 2014, 4:45AM

Well, i have this hair care kit that comes with organic shampoo and conditioner designed to make hair soft, shiny and healthy especially if you use heat tools or hair dye. It also comes with a deep conditioning hair mask and an argan oil heat protectant that works miracles for frizz. You use it after a shower, it’s not oily at all and it’s actually real argan oil. The kit is called Pro Naturals argan oil system or something along those lines so look it up on their website or wherever you find it.