6 Benefits Of Eating Apples

Post image for 6 Benefits Of Eating Apples

UPDATE: This post originally ran September 16, 2013, but we wanted to bring it back to make sure you all got a chance to discover the benefits of this delicious fruit!

Apples are a fundamental part of fall. Going apple picking, drinking fresh apple cider, baking crisp apple chips… It all feels so right when thinking about this beautiful season. Apples are incredibly delicious, and they have many benefits — of which you may not even be aware! Today I want to share the health benefits of eating apples. But first, here’s a photo of some common apples, along with how each tastes:

Types of apples

Now for the benefits! Apples may…

Increase endurance. Apples contain an antioxidant called quercetin, which allows oxygen to reach the lungs more easily. Eat an apple before working out and see how it affects your endurance!

Whiten teeth. Apples contain malic acid, which is used in many teeth whitening products, due to its ability to dissolve stains. The next time you eat an apple, make sure to chew it thoroughly for maximum benefits – maybe even rub a little on your teeth. :)

Fall boots and apples

Boost immune system. Apples are high in multiple vitamins, including vitamin C – the original immune system booster!

Satisfy cravings. Apples are naturally sweet, so they can help satisfy that afternoon cookie craving. They’re low in calories and totally fat-free, so you can feel good about eating them, too!

Cut up apples

Fight cancer. Apples contain compounds called triterpenoids, which may fight against certain cancers like liver, breast, and colon.

Improve memory. Apples are believed to increase the production of acetylcholine – a neurotransmitter – so they may improve memory and lower your risk of Alzheimer’s.

Girl holding apple basket

Get the most out of apple season and use these versatile fruits in every way you can! Some of our favorite recipes are apple spice granola, maple cinnamon apple chips, and caramel apple dipping sauce – all vegan and gluten-free!

Apple, leaves, and patterns

Do you have any benefits to add to the list? Let us know!

Follow FP Brigette on Twitter.

Tags: , , ,

Comments

meg -September 16, 2013, 8:57AM

Whiten teeth, huh? I had no idea!

Megan -September 16, 2013, 10:05AM

I happen to be eating an apple for breakfast right now :)

Liz -September 16, 2013, 10:06AM

I am so glad I read this today! It’s perfect timing. My husband has gone on a vegan juice diet for weight loss, and one of the first mixers I bought was organic unfiltered apple juice. :) Nice to know he is getting these benefits! I like to pour a cup of apple juice and a cup of carrot juice in the blender with some ginger. So far, he likes it and it’s perfect for fall.

Stephanie Claire -September 16, 2013, 10:26AM

I’m on the hunt for the perfect apple and cinnamon crumble recipe! But when I find it, you can bet your bottom dollar I will be eating it everyday till christmas!

teainyourtwenties.wordpress.com

Annejelina -September 16, 2013, 11:35AM

I love apples, especially baking them in the oven, or spreading peanut butter on ‘em =) yum!
xoxo Annejelina

Visit my shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrownofCreationShop

Juliette Laura -September 16, 2013, 11:36AM

Apples are so perfect! My absolute favorite in the fall. I’m loving being in the city, but soooo missing apple picking!

xo, Juliette Laura

Alexa Sonken {Invitations for Creatives} -September 16, 2013, 12:24PM
Sarah K -September 16, 2013, 4:20PM

Yum apples! Glad I had one for a snack earlier.

kimberly -September 16, 2013, 6:31PM

i just spend the weekend camping in a gorgeous garden on a family friend’s apple orchard/fruit farm in eastern washington. i read your blog religiously and
could be borderline obsessed ;) of course you would blog about apple benefits the day after i return with 4 free people bags full of fresh, hand-picked apples! thanks for being on the same page :)

Nicole -September 16, 2013, 7:09PM

Acetylcholine is more for the control of your muscles.

Danielle Wallis -September 16, 2013, 11:05PM

Beautiful images, ladies!! Very fall :)

Shelley -September 17, 2013, 12:23AM

Awesome!
I have a couple apple trees in my yard and am over run with apples at the moment! I was trying to think of all the ways I can preserve them.
Glad to hear of all the health benefits.

Bonnie -September 17, 2013, 11:50AM

Love apples…just be sure to buy Organic apples, the ones you buy in grocery stores they DO have a ton of pesticides on them, not mention, Washington State came out with the “Grapple” they were apples that were watered with grape juice, so they had a grape flavor to them when picked….IF this can be done, then that means pesticides that are sprayed are also going into the ground and being absorbed by the fruit, buyer beware!

lexi -September 17, 2013, 12:23PM

I love this! Love learning new things everyday! I Also wanted to know where your boots are from? Are they FP? I love them!

cristina -September 17, 2013, 1:50PM

i <3 apples!!!! apple picking = the best fall activity without a doubt! i made that apple spice granola recipe you had up a few weeks ago and its amazing! i got so many compliments and my friends and i ate it on top of our multigrain waffles :)

Bea -September 19, 2013, 5:44PM

I’ve been eating one apple a day for about 6 years now. That’s a lot of apples! And in every season I have my own favourite one.. I just love the variety! Nham! All I can say is that it probably works – I’m happy and healthy! :D Love the pictures, what a nice post!

Anonymous -September 20, 2013, 1:05PM

Minnesota

Tiffany -September 20, 2013, 10:32PM

Oh no no, people! Please don’t rub apples into your teeth. Their acidic and erode your teeth. Once you erode that enamel, you can’t get it back. I juice my apples (with celery) and drink it with a straw :)

KerKrowAloha -September 24, 2013, 6:14PM

Made me MISS WESTERN NEW YORK sooo much!! Mahalo for this amazing Apple Info!!
And, a quick tip: I’ve recently become OBSESSED with Apples w/ Almond Butter (Raw, fresh ground Almond Butter, nothing BETTAH!)
Allloooohhaaa <3

MaryConley -October 7, 2013, 8:09AM

I still believe that an “apple a day keeps the doctors away”, the simplest answers are the best, it could be as easy as reaching an apple on your food bowl and listening for the crunch and the juiciness while eating. The essential nutrients we can get from apple are just so many, it can also be a good healthy snack option while we are traveling or we could use it as a base when juicing. There are just plenty of styles you could consume this fruit and there are also many ways that apples will keep us healthy.:)

Olivia Lane -October 17, 2013, 10:10PM

I recently read that they are useful ingredient in facials!

Cheyenne -November 9, 2013, 8:14AM

I love apples and everything you can do with them!
xx

Taylor -November 9, 2013, 12:50PM

I’ve heard that an apple has as much caffeine as a cup of coffee…not sure if that’s true.
xx
~Taylor

Joanne -November 9, 2013, 5:05PM

I eat an apple everyday at breakfast! I am so glad there are so many great reasons to continue eating them!

Donna -November 10, 2013, 1:54AM

I’ve always loved apples. I often take one with me when I go to the gym, I usually eat it afterwards, but maybe I’ll try eating it before.
Donna

Daisy -November 12, 2013, 12:09PM

I love apples! I try to eat them everyday, usually before the gym too! It’s nice to know about all the other benefits! :)

Emily -November 16, 2013, 2:58PM

Where are those fabulous boots from??!

fp brigette -November 18, 2013, 10:15AM

Emily – They’re the Lucas Lace Up Boots — unfortunately the brown is sold out, but we have black! :)

Barbie -November 19, 2013, 3:30PM

I dont know if it’s right to take apple on an empty stomach.

Caryn -January 2, 2014, 12:44PM

Apples are also one of the best foods for improving digestion!

Susah Makan -February 28, 2014, 12:49PM

sour apple is good for my diet :D help me to loose weight

Anny Packer -March 20, 2014, 6:08AM

Apple is the best food material. healthy snacks

San Herb -April 15, 2014, 1:50AM

this is nice articel with a beautiful picture, i enjoyed this post, :)

Anonymous -May 8, 2014, 2:04AM

A great article with some lovely pictures. eating apples thanks for the informative article.

sushnigdha -May 8, 2014, 2:11AM

Wonderful article and some great picture too. benefits of eating apples

Online Pharmacy -May 16, 2014, 11:01AM

I really like it when individuals come together and share opinions.
Great website, continue the good work!

Online Pharmacy -May 19, 2014, 11:50AM

Excellent way of explaining, and nice article to take information about my presentation subject, which i am going to present in college.

Andrea! -July 4, 2014, 7:24AM

Well every time I look for an apple, the very thought of *an apple a day keeps the doctors away* tosses in my mind. I knew it is healthy but before reading this article, I didn’t knew the exact healthy benefits it offered :)
Wow I mean, good for teeth, immune system and for strength also. Apple is amazing, Isn’t it ;)
Thanks for sharing wisdom through words!

hansel -July 31, 2014, 7:00PM

I love apples but is it true that there’s a lot of pesticide on the ones in grocery store? what can be done to
clean off those critters, or is the apple contaminated already?