Herbal Remedies For Anxiety

Post image for Herbal Remedies For Anxiety

When the weather turns cool and dry in the fall, imbalances in the body can bring about unpleasant feelings of nervousness and anxiety. I personally have suffered from anxiety since I was a wee little child, and lately have been experiencing symptoms more than usual. I’m always drawn to discovering new herbal remedies, so I made a little trip to local spot Herbiary to acquire some new knowledge – and some herbs. While there are many different types of herbs that help soothe feelings of anxiety, the expert behind the counter recommended these 4 as prime choices.

Lavender wooden spoon

Lavender is always the first herb that comes to mind when it comes to relaxation. This gorgeously-scented purple plant is widely used to treat anxiety, insomnia, depression, and restlessness, but its benefits don’t stop there. It has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, and has even been known to treat digestive issues like upset stomach and abdominal swelling.

Chamomile wooden spoon

Chamomile has been used as a sleep aid for centuries, due to its anxiety-soothing effects. It’s also used to treat nausea, fever, and inflammation, just to name a few. The plant’s daisy-like flowers are filled with volatile oils that give it its therapeutic benefits.

Skullcap

Skullcap is an herb that’s totally new to me. It’s a type of mint with tiny flowers that range from purple and blue to pink and white. It’s mostly used as a comforting herb to treat symptoms of anxiety, and can also aid exhaustion. It helps to calm down racing thoughts, so it’s great for those with minds that never seem to shut off.

Holy basil wooden spoon

Holy Basil is another herb I’d never heard of. It’s used in ayurvedic medicine as an adaptogen, which means it helps in dealing with the stresses of life. In addition to treating stress and anxiety, holy basil has been used to treat common ailments like colds, headaches, and the flu, as well as more serious conditions such as heart disease, malaria, and tuberculosis.

Dried herbs in piles

There are lots of ways to use herbs to treat anxiety. Many herbs – like lavender and chamomile — do wonders in the world of aromatherapy. You can add a few drops of essential oil into your bath, dab a bit on your wrists or behind your ears, or make a sachet of dried buds to smell whenever you feel your heart start to race. The simple act of taking deep breaths and allowing the scent to flow through you will whisk you up and away, drawing you further and further from any unpleasant feelings with every breath.

Lavender and teepee

Another way to use herbs is by taking them internally – like in tea! The best way to make an herb tea is by first concocting a blend of herbs that work best for your symptoms – and best for you. Once you’ve made your mixture, place it in an empty tea ball or tea bag, and submerge that into hot water. According to the expert I spoke to at Herbiary, the key to making medicinal-strength tea is to let it steep for a full 20 minutes before drinking.

Holy basil tea

I came across this lovely “dream bath” blend that I had to scoop up for myself. It’s a finely grated blend of mineral salts, baking soda, sea salt, white clay, oats, powdered milk, mugwort, lavender, chamomile, and essential oils. “An evocative blend that promotes dreams,” it says. Enticing enough, I’d say. All you have to do is add a few scoops into a running bath. Then soak and enjoy.

Herbal bath

If you know of any other herbal remedies for treating anxiety, comment and let us know!

Follow FP Brigette on Twitter.

Tags: , , ,

Comments

meg -November 6, 2013, 9:01AM

Chamomile cures all. :) I need to remember this when my winter blues set in…

Liz -November 6, 2013, 9:46AM

Holy basil is great for about a million different things. I had also never heard of skullcap, but I will try it! Whenever I get anxiety, I really just want chamomile tea and a hot bath with eucalyptus and spearmint bath salts. Something about that combo changes my entire mood.

Claudia -November 6, 2013, 10:21AM

I use a natural supplement called Busy-Brain Release. It contains Bacopa, Skullcap, Eleuthero, and Lavender plus many B vitamins. I use it during highly stressful times or when I’m feeling anxious. It works wonders for me :)

Hemingway -November 6, 2013, 10:51AM

I take Rhodiola everyday — it’s an adaptogen as well, and has been scientifically shown to reduce symptoms of anxiety. Here’s a study conducted by the National Institute of Health (NIH) about this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18307390

Rhodiola also increases your ability to focus, lowers symptoms of depression, and a long laundry list of other positive benefits. It’s really an incredible herb.

If you do decide to take it, it’s most effective in a tincture, not a pill. Pills often destroy many of the benefits of an herb because they’re heated and then ground to a fine consistency. Tinctures are much more effective.

Amy -November 6, 2013, 2:11PM

Passion flower is a good for anxiety and it also serves as a sleep aid. I drink a cup of Lavender/Chamomile/Passion Flower tea made from bulk herbs when I’m feeling anxious and right before bed. It’s become a lovely and effective routine for me :)

regina -November 6, 2013, 4:03PM

i love this – i’ve been a fan of lavender for awhile and actually carry around a small bottle of it in my person to have on hand for when anxiety creeps into my day.

i’m excited to explore some new herbs though – thanks for sharing in the post and all the wonderful comments that have been left so far <3

*regina

Ayurvedic Treatment -November 7, 2013, 7:58AM

Ayurveda is an traditional way of treatment form ancient India. Ayurvedic medicine are combination of herbs which are natural i.e it has no any type of side effect. For more about treatment visit at one health centre is: “http://integratedmed.co.uk/treatments”

Sol de Dezembro -November 7, 2013, 8:48AM

Love this!
Thank you!

Megan | New Eve Jewelry -November 7, 2013, 9:05AM

It’s so funny, I have a meeting with a big client today and I was just wishing I had some herbal tea to soothe my nervousness! I LOVE my coffee, but sometimes all the caffeine is too much. And something tells me a glass of wine before the meeting wouldn’t be the best idea…

Thanks!

Megan | New Eve Jewelry

Victoria -November 7, 2013, 12:32PM

Rescue Remedy was recommended to me by a friend and truly works to calm me down when I’m feeling very anxious or stressed. A few drops on your tongue or even in your tea and you will instantly start to feel more relaxed. I carry it with me always.

Natural Alternative Remedy -November 12, 2013, 2:05AM

I personally love valerian root and chamomile. Specifically, chamomile tea. Always calms my nerves and relaxes me.

-Larissa

Cindy -November 17, 2013, 11:54AM

Thanks, sweetie! I get some teas for him to try. We are in the house, but we aren’t “settled”, yet. We’re painting and wallpapering, then we’ll place the furniture and unpack more boxes! Miss you guys, too! Love you.

The Herbal Trading Co -November 26, 2013, 8:31AM

Very important topic and you just did an amazing job presenting it in a simple and clear manner. Thanks a lot for sharing the kind info.

Tara -December 12, 2013, 1:01PM

Thank you so much for this – and to all the commentors with excellent advise.

Rohit kumar -December 13, 2013, 6:39AM

The freeze dried Noni powder is produced under temperatures between -20 degree to -30 degree Celsius, for enhanced performance.

james -January 8, 2014, 7:41AM

Holy basil has so many advantages, and am glad as its proved to be useful for Athritis as well.

jane -September 7, 2014, 2:31PM

Knowledge is power, recognize your anxieties and their triggers and make them yours. Fully accept and recognize the physical and emotional reactions they cause and only then can you

Tom -November 7, 2014, 1:18AM

I enjoy reading your post.I love the natural remedies found here