We have a really fun video to share with you today! One of our FP girls is in a local band called Ruby The Hatchet, and they recently held a basement jam session with a bunch of our Free People girls in session. Jillian, who sings in the band, is such an inspiration to watch — check it out, and read what she has to say about performing below!
The magical thing about the stage is how malleable it makes everything – it is like hot gold waiting to be poured into a mold of your choosing. When I get on stage I feel as if I have found a secret door to any decade, any iconic trend, any universe (picture Bowie on Mars)! As a Leo I am a born lover of the stage, and on stage I feel like a true lion. Luckily I was raised by an ever-loving, never-grow-up gypsy from the 60’s. She encouraged me to make my own clothing if I could not find anything expressive enough for my taste; so that is exactly what I did, and I am pretty sure that is how I landed a job on the design team at FP.
All of my fashion influence is musical – Janis, Stevie, Jimi, Patti…the list goes on! Music and fashion are part of the same cyclical world where expression and inspiration are key. I do not feel like myself if I am not wearing something that is a little bit gypsy and a little bit rock and roll. Everything needs to feel authentic, unique, and natural at the same time.
Setting a vibe while getting ready is paramount. I like to have candles burning, a rich, earthy smell in the air, records spinning, and I really enjoy surrounding myself with the company of anyone who may be jumping in the van with us. I like to pull them into my routine, or see how they can influence my choices, what pieces of our outfits we can swap, and every now and then I need a guiding voice to tell me I look crazy! A soundtrack is also necessary. Listening to Fleetwood Mac’s “Rumors,” or even just looking at the cover of Janis’ record “Pearl” where she is decked out in velvet and feathers gives me such a jumpstart on eccentric wardrobe ideas.
There is only one rule, and that is to have fun. Showcase your wild side. Showcase your art. Shake your bones. Everything else is just being yourself, and for me, the music makes it all fall into place.
Take a look at the 5 Free People items Jillian has her eye on…
1. The Vegan Leather Skinnies! They look amazing with anything.
2. The Golden Eagle Boots in red. It’s the only way I can offset all the black I wear. Plus it’s a boot with a freakin’ eagle on it!
3. The Suede Fringe Jacket. Because I love Neil Young and because fringe is my favorite.
4. The Vintage Loves Limited Edition Fringe Dress! What could be better than vintage band tees made into black lacey dresses?
5. The Taipan Eagle Shadow Top by One Teaspoon. This little baby doubles as a bra and a bathing suit! The strappy details can make dresses and tops look totally new in a subtly sexy way.