Grain-Free No-Bake Gingerbread Cookie Balls

Post image for Grain-Free No-Bake Gingerbread Cookie Balls

This post is part of our restricted diet series from Beth of Tasty Yummies.

Gingerbread is one of my absolute favorite holiday flavors. It’s right up there with dark chocolate and mint anything and of course, nog-flavored goodies. I don’t always have the patience to make a full batch of gluten-free cookies, especially not the kind you have to roll out and cut out, then decorate. These no-bake cookie balls are an amazing way to enjoy the unique flavor of gingerbread cookies without the work and the guilt! I love a sweet treat that not only satisfies your cravings but doesn’t leave you feeling bad about what you just ate. Plus, between the protein from the nuts and the iron from the molasses, one could even argue these cookies are extra good for you!

Grain-Free No-Bake Gingerbread Cookie Balls {Gluten-Free & Vegan}
makes 18-24, depending on the size

2 cups raw organic almonds, walnuts or pecans (I went 1 cup each of almonds and pecans)
6 Medjool dates, pitted
3 tablespoons unsulphered organic blackstrap molasses
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2-inch nub fresh ginger, peeled or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
dash ground cloves
dash ground nutmeg
pinch of sea salt

For rolling:
shredded unsweetened coconut (optional)

gingerbread cookie balls

Add all of the ingredients, except the coconut, to your food processor. Process until a sticky dough ball forms. There will be some visible bits of nuts! Roll the dough with your hands into 1 1/2-inch balls and place onto a parchment paper lined sheet or tray. If it’s sticking to your hands too much, lightly wet them with a little water.

After all the cookie balls are rolls made, gently roll them into the shredded coconut. I store these in the fridge to keep them firm.

gingerbread cookie balls

For more of Beth’s recipes visit her blog Tasty Yummies.

More healthy recipes from the BLDG 25 Blog.

Tags: , , , , ,

Comments

meg -December 5, 2013, 8:46AM

Gonna have to whip me up a batch of these! Yum-my!!!

Annejelina -December 5, 2013, 9:32AM

Wow these sound delicious and soo healthy too =) Yum!
xoxo Annejelina

Visit my shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrownofCreationShop

Michelle -December 5, 2013, 9:54AM

This is perfect for the holidays!

Khadijah Zainalabidin -December 5, 2013, 2:54PM

Hi, is there any changes that I need to do for a nut-free version?

Emma -December 5, 2013, 4:59PM

I would love these! I’m a huge gingerbread fan too but these are great for a speedy gingerbread fix :)

Kathy -December 5, 2013, 8:12PM

I just made these and they’re great! My dates were a little dry so I soaked them in warm water and added a tiny amount of melted Coconut oil and added some Cardamom because I needed to use less Cinnamon ( cinnamon is too high in histamines for me) yet these turned great! Thank you~ hugs

Sammie -December 6, 2013, 8:23PM

Happened to have all the ingredients on-hand so made a batch – super easy and a sweet treat! Planning on sharing them at a little bday party tomorrow = )

Calliope -December 7, 2013, 4:44PM

Yay! I picked up a bottle of molasses for bbq sauce, but thought “What am I gonna do with the rest of this?” These sound perfect! I’ll share them with the neighbors & spread some holiday cheer. Thx FP!

Gabriella -December 7, 2013, 6:16PM

Hi Beth!

These sound entirely awesome! Gingerbread is the taste of Christmas to me :) I was thinking of giving these as presents and am just wondering how long you think they would keep for? Also if they would take being covered in chocolate instead of coconut?

Thanks!
Gaby

Jessi Larson -December 8, 2013, 6:02PM

These sound good but I wonder if you could leave out the dates or substitute them? I am not a huge fan of dates.

Marilyn Nowak -December 9, 2013, 9:11PM

Wow! I’ll be making these tomorrow!!

john simmons -December 10, 2013, 2:42PM

I must say now they do look good.. I have come across a great site for everything healthy with some great products for dieting, give them a look http://lloydessentials.com

Mozzarellis -December 17, 2013, 2:07AM

yummmy ! yummmy ! wah yummy! i love Grain-Free No-Bake Gingerbread Cookie Balls muhhhhhhhhh
i try this chirstmas and newyear party and celebrated with my family

Mozzarellis -December 17, 2013, 2:07AM

i try this chirstmas and newyear party and celebrated with my family.

Stephanie -December 18, 2013, 3:30AM

What would these be like with honey???? Any one tried????
Can’t wait to make them!!!

Dana -December 22, 2013, 5:49PM

THANK YOU for posting this bit of genius. I’m mostly grain free and am cooking for four vegans and one chocolate-free citizen for Xmas Eve. I feel this overlaps in all of our dietary restriction zones AND I can’t burn them. Hooray!

Sarah Gamble -January 17, 2014, 1:39AM

These are fantastic, thanks for sharing the recipe. My vitamix got a little stuck grinding them up but they taste delish none the less. Love them! Thank you!

Roxy Roundhouse -February 6, 2014, 7:28AM

Wow! these are going on my todo list today!

Roxy xox,