Homemade Natural Facial Cleansers for Dry, Oily, & Normal Skin

Post image for Homemade Natural Facial Cleansers for Dry, Oily, & Normal Skin

UPDATE: This post originally ran on November 8 but we love these natural facial cleansers so much we wanted to share it again!

Every morning and evening we wash our faces, hoping to rid ourselves of any potentially harmful substances that have come in contact with the surface of our precious skin. It’s important to know that we’re cleansing our skin with the best possible ingredients, which is one of the main reasons I love making my own beauty products.  Not all skin is created equal, though, so today I have recipes for three different cleansing concoctions: one for dry skin, one for oily skin, and one for normal skin (which, of course, is not to say that any other types of skin are abnormal... You know what I mean). :)

First up: dry skin. Wintertime is often the culprit for skin that lacks moisture — although some of us (like myself) are lucky enough to live with it all year round. The base for this cleanser is plain yogurt, which, apart from its natural cleansing properties, is full of protein to soften your skin. It’s also a bit acidic, so it acts as an exfoliator, removing unwanted dead cells from the surface of your skin. Honey acts as a humectant, drawing moisture into your skin and keeping it there, as olive oil adds further moisture. Apples give your skin vitamins A, B, and C, as well as a dose of antioxidants to keep you looking fresh.

Homemade facial cleanser dry skin

Dry SkinNext up: oily skin. For those whose skin tends to be on the oily side, let lemon and oatmeal be your new friends. Lemon acts as an astringent as well as a disinfectant, killing any bacteria that may otherwise cause breakouts, while oatmeal exfoliates the skin, absorbing excess oils in the process. Honey will restore moisture into your skin, balancing out any dryness that could have been caused by the lemon.Homemade facial cleanser oily skin

Oily Skin

Finally, normal skin. For those whose skin tends to be somewhere in between dry and oily, this cleanser is for you. The yogurt and cucumber nourish and clear your skin without drying it, while the mint adds a pleasant soothing experience.Homemade facial cleanser normal skin

Normal Skin

Do you have any homemade recipes for facial cleansers? Let us know!

More homemade beauty products from the BLDG 25 Blog.

Follow FP Brigette on Twitter.

Tags: , , , ,

Comments

meg -November 8, 2013, 8:51AM

This has my name all over it! My skin gets so angry during the winter!

Andreia -November 8, 2013, 10:31AM

Lovely tips…I’m on the oily side so I will definitely try this recipe!!!

Cheyenne -November 8, 2013, 10:40AM

I always love all of the Homemade ‘remedies’ you post.
xx

Antosia -November 8, 2013, 3:16PM

I feel a spa day coming on!

Abi -November 8, 2013, 7:39PM

Would love some vegan remedies instead

Megan @ Lush to Blush -November 9, 2013, 11:45AM

Almost out of my face wash, so I’m excited to try this homemade remedy! :)

xo Megan, http://lushtoblush.com/

Anonymous -November 9, 2013, 2:30PM

Any idea how long you can store these!? I’m thinking that they would make lovely Christmas gifts! :)

Madeline -November 9, 2013, 4:42PM

Any recommendations for combination skin?? I have very oily skin frequent to bad breakouts, coupled with extreme dry patches (always a lot of fun in the winter). Any solutions?

Ella -November 9, 2013, 9:06PM

How would you store these to use daily?

Crystal -November 9, 2013, 9:43PM

Quick question, do I have to make a mixture every morning or every night or is it ok to save the mixture in the bottle? and if it is for how long?

Anna -November 10, 2013, 10:38PM

For the dry skin cleanser, what could you subsitute the honey and yogurt for to make it vegan?

anja -November 12, 2013, 12:28PM

Love all of them though my favoutite is the last one. I used it before and I know that it really works for my skin. The only problem is time..
And for those who would like to change honey for something else, there are other syrups that are very close to honey (agave syrup…).

irma -November 12, 2013, 3:04PM

I can’t believe this! Honestly SO amazing.

xx

sabrina -November 12, 2013, 10:21PM

tried this for dry skin. skin is clean and soooo soft!

Mia Natural Skin Care Recipes Author -November 13, 2013, 2:22AM

These are great ingredients, and nice masks….did you know you can also add essential oils and rose hip oil or other oils rich in essential fatty acids which help to penetrate the skins upper layers and deliver beneficial nutrients deep into your skin. There are lots of rich antioxidant ingredients like papaya that are powerful exfoliants too. Thanks for sharing your recipes :)

Lauren -November 16, 2013, 7:05AM

I have oily skin and this recipe was lovely! xx

Celia -November 18, 2013, 10:12PM

My dermatologist tells me I have texbook combination skin – oily areas and dry areas. Im a natural healthy type, so I started using Made from Earth’s Combination Skin Kit. It comes with 2 different Made from Earth face washes – one for when I am super oily, and another for when I do not want to strip my skin. Also, the Made from Earth “ph equilibrant moisturizer” is GREAT at balancing the oily areas and the dry areas

Shelby -December 8, 2013, 8:05PM

Wow, this is perfect. I didn’t know this much about chemicals in even mild face cleansers. Totally trying this!

Sarah -December 9, 2013, 3:45PM

How long do these last? (In particular the wash for oily skin)

Thanks!
xo

Laura -December 10, 2013, 11:37PM

How long does the combination skin one last before it gets all fungus-y? We just store it in our fridge?

Jenn -December 12, 2013, 12:25AM

I just used the oily skin cleanser and it was lovely! It made enough to fit into a small, flat mason jar, so I’m wondering if it is safe to store in the fridge for maybe a week or so?

Thanks :3

Male Infertility -December 12, 2013, 4:24AM

Nice post thax for sharing it. Simple Herbal and Natural Home Remedies, Ayurvedic Cure, Effective Ayurveda cures and A complete ayurvedic and herbal guide to cure all your health problems.

Lena -December 12, 2013, 1:09PM

I would think honey would make your face breakout?

The Hair Care Pro -December 16, 2013, 3:34PM

Nice post! I agree with another poster, would be awesome to have a version of these that can be stored a bit longer—with Christmas right around the corner, would make a great DIY gift. Thanks for sharing!

colleen v. -December 17, 2013, 8:10PM

i will definitely try this!

here’s another:
mill together equal parts whole hand-rolled oats (“old fashioned” quaker oats) and almonds.
[i used my magic bullet, it has a special mulling blade which i use ALL the time for homemade skin care]
don’t add anything wet to the mixture… put it in a sealed container and leave it in your bathroom cabinet. when you’re ready for a wash, mix a nickel-sized amount with regular milk and gently scrub on your face in circles. it works absolute wonders! maybe i’ll try it with plain yogurt, too!

colleen v. -December 17, 2013, 8:11PM

^^^ the almond / oats can also be mixed with regular warm water for a vegan face wash ;-)

Deed -December 18, 2013, 4:45PM

Here’s my favorite natural product… it works aas both a makeup remover and a day/night cream.

Freeze a mixing bowl and beaters for about 20 minutes. Beat a half a cup of organic coconut oil until it’s fluffy (about 8 minutes). It is solid at room temperature, but becomes fluffy when you beat it with cold beaters. (This doesn’t work in a mixer or bullet – that will just melt the oil.).

Add a few drops of your favorite essential oils for skin (Rose, Lavender, Geranium, Ylang Ylang are some of my favorites … if it’s summer use Peppermint for a cooling body/foot cream).

Put it in sterile jars (I use beautiful old cream jars that are empty – just wash add boiling water to sterilize).

It lasts a long time . . . you can add Vit. E as a natural preservative if you have it handy.

I use it as a makeup remover – warm in palms and rub into dry face, then wipe with a soft cloth and finish with your regular routine.

I also use it as a moisturizer. It feels greasy for a few minutes, but within 10 minutes is completely soaked into the skin, leaving nothing but soft behind.

AND it smells yummy!

leo -December 27, 2013, 8:30PM

I really thanks for your post here, so much fun reading it and easy to understand

{freespirited} -January 10, 2014, 8:56AM

I’m making this today!!!

Jen -January 21, 2014, 3:19PM

For the oily skin formula:
Are your measurements for a one time use or for a container to store the cleanser in? If this is for a full container, can you please let me know the best type of container to use and where it should be stored. Fridge? Medicine cabinet? And how long the mixture will be good for?

Also, do you have a good mixture for combination skin?

Thanks!

Stacey -February 24, 2014, 7:42PM

Does this also remove make up?

elda -February 24, 2014, 10:59PM

i have normal skin and try to made it couple days ago and it feels actually good. i can instantly feel that my skin is supple and hydrated well :)

and i wash it again with baby soap just to feel more “clean”

Rick -March 2, 2014, 1:23PM

Nice compendium of natural solutions for dry skin….well written.

Rachel -March 11, 2014, 11:03PM

Great post!! I LOVE this blog! Working on going all natural because of it. :) Is this homemade cleanser something you do every night?

Lauren Mills -March 21, 2014, 5:55AM

Patricia -March 23, 2014, 4:27PM

Can I use the remains as a mask in my hair???
Thanks!