Guest Post: 24 Hours In Melbourne

Post image for Guest Post: 24 Hours In Melbourne

This guest post comes from UK contributor Julia of Stylonylon.

You know you when you arrive somewhere and you’re immediately hit by a sense of ‘this is the place for me’? Well, that’s what it felt like being in Melbourne. We had just 24 hours in the city (an hour’s flight south of Sydney) and, the sun blazing, I set off with my camera to get a feel for the place.

We stayed in a boutique hotel south of the Yarra river in the suburb of Prahran (colloquially ‘Pran’) which, once home to Melbourne’s hippie community, is now jam packed with more than 980 cafés, al fresco restaurants, bars, clubs and shops.

The main shopping street is the iconic Chapel Street where we had an amazing sunlit breakfast at Speakeasy before taking a wander. Several blocks long, I loved seeing how the street changed – aesthetically pleasing run-down shop fronts side by side with glass-fronted cafes streamed with light, to lots of great shopping boutiques, antique shops, and second hand stores.

Later on, we headed north to the Central Business District for a walk by the river. Towering office blocks were set off by colourful sculptures, interesting spaces and pianos scattered around for anyone to play. Finishing off with cooling chocolate ice-cream, I was genuinely sad as the day came to end. A beautiful city with so much more to explore, I can’t wait to go back!

24 hours in melbourne

24 hours in melbourne

24 hours in melbourne

24 hours in melbourne

24 hours in melbourne

24 hours in melbourne

24 hours in melbourne

24 hours in melbourne

24 hours in melbourne

24 hours in melbourne

24 hours in melbourne

Have you been to Melbourne? What are some of your favorite spots there?

Visit Julia’s blog Stylonylon.

Tags: , , , ,

Comments

Roxy Roundhouse -January 22, 2014, 7:24AM

I love love love Aus, i lived there back in 2009 and let me tell you!
the people are very warm and kind and I’m a canadian! a must go trip!

Roxy xox

meg -January 22, 2014, 8:59AM

Australia has been on my bucket list for years! I want to go there SOOOO bad!!!

Juliette Laura -January 22, 2014, 10:28AM

So perfect, I have been dying to go there!

xo, Juliette Laura

Aura Jade -January 22, 2014, 11:44AM

Melbourne has a special place in my heart! I studied abroad there my junior year of college. I saw First Aid Kit live and they were so amazing! It’s so fun to walk or take the tram all over the city.

Aura Jade -January 22, 2014, 11:46AM

This is a blog post I wrote about Melbourne, right before I left! :) http://etherealmermaid.com/2012/07/13/a-weekend-in-fitzroy-melbourne/

Dani -January 22, 2014, 7:35PM

Oh, man! So cool to see a Free People blog about my home town :)
Melbourne is New York, Sydney is L.A. – there’s no competition.

Emily -January 22, 2014, 9:05PM

Oh my goodness…what a gorgeous city! I’ve never thought of Melbourne as a place I’d want to visit but this post totally changed my mind. (:

Anonymous -January 23, 2014, 4:28AM

I love Melbourne ! I loved all the street art places, especially i Fitzroy. If you go there you have to eat at the veggie bar and shop vintage clothes… Aaaaaah Melbourne :)

Jessica -January 23, 2014, 6:17AM

Great to see my hometown up on one of my favourite sites. Definitely head to the Northern suburbs, particularly Brunswick St

Alexandra -January 23, 2014, 4:02PM

I just came back from Melbourne about a month ago and had the best time ever! I stayed in Victoria, Fitzroy, St.Kilda and it was so interesting to see all the different types of people within that one huge city and the many different lifestyles that are all basically integrated!
Aussies and Australia hold a special place in my <3!
I wrote of bars/music festivals one should check out in Australia on my blog: http://fashnative.wordpress.com
Check it out and let me know what you think! :)