Honey Is The New Shampoo: Week 3

Post image for Honey Is The New Shampoo: Week 3

I’m going on 3 weeks of washing my hair with natural substances (no commercial shampoo or conditioner!). I’ve used mainly honey with a couple tries of clay and apple cider vinegar… and this week I started something else.

Again, thank you all SO much for all of your help with this hair experiment. Your support has kept me going, and your advice has helped to steer me in the right direction. Here’s a look at the past week in my no-commercial-shampoo adventure.

Day 12: I took a break from washing today — it was a snowy snowy day and I just didn’t feel the urge. Instead, I threw my hair in a low bun, popped a beanie on my head, and called it a day! I think it’s good to have days like this in order to move the transition period along. (PS. Sorry for the tattoos… I was working on this blog post, haha!)

All black, temp tattoos

Day 13: I did the normal honey wash this morning. Maybe the break I took yesterday was not such a good idea. My hair feels as greasy as ever… gross. My week 2 blog post went up today, and after reading some of your comments, I think I’m going to make a change. A few of you have told me that I’m not listening to what my body is telling me, and that I need to do just that. I couldn’t agree with you more. I’ve recently taken on that mindset — ever since I got involved with Ayurveda (see my Ayurveda journal) — and you’re so right in that I should apply that same thinking when it comes to natural beauty. If it feels like the honey isn’t cleaning my hair, it probably isn’t. I need to switch to something that will do a better job. After work I went and acquired my new haircare products. As per many of your suggestions, I’m setting the honey aside in favor for Dr. Bronner’s castile soap and some avocado oil (mixed with vitamin E) for my “shampoo” and “conditioner,” respectively.

Dr Bronners Lavender

Day 14: Today I washed my hair with a few drops of Dr. Bronner’s, rinsed, and then worked some avocado oil into my strands, focusing on the tips. I definitely feel like my hair got somewhat of a cleaning, which is something I haven’t felt in quite some time (woohoo!), but after drying, it still seems quite oily. This could absolutely be due to the avocado oil. I’ll be sure to use less next time. I used some arrowroot flour to soak up some of the excess oil — this stuff has been such a savior in this experience.

Honey week 3

Day 15: I washed again today with the castile soap, and then applied just a little bit of avocado oil to my ends after I got out of the shower. Definitely less greasy than yesterday, but still somewhat greasy. I also feel like the soap is drying out my hair a bit (although nowhere near what the clay did to it last week). Has this happened to anyone else? I feel like my hair is a little dry and a little greasy at the same time. It’s hard to explain!

random2

Day 16: I took a break from washing today — just used some arrowroot flour! It’s hard to believe it’s been 16 days since I’ve used a non-natural product to wash my hair. It feels good knowing this, and definitely makes me want to continue!

random3edit

Day 17: I washed with castile soap, and then used a bit of coconut oil on my ends in the shower to condition them. After I got out, I put a little avocado oil in the ends to help protect my hair when I heat styled. I’m definitely liking this castile-soap/avocado-oil method better than the honey. While my hair doesn’t look or feel 100% how I’d like it to… I think it’s getting there. :)

Honey week 3 2

As always, any tips are more than welcome! Do you think I should continue with castile soap and avocado oil? Should I switch to some of the Lush products you have mentioned, or stay with this method for a while? I’m open to anything!

If you’re just joining us, see my recap from week 1 and week 2, as well as my original post about why I wanted to go no ‘poo to begin with!

Follow FP Brigette on Twitter.

Tags: , , , , ,

Comments

Erica -January 30, 2014, 7:12AM

Brigette,
Don’t know if you wanted to switch back to “shampoo” but lush’s solid shampoos are awesome. I use “Seanik” Its blue and smells awesome and works just as good as a regular bottle of shampoo. I follow up with their “American Cream” conditioner. They also have solid conditioner, which I’ve heard is great too, but I have not tried it. I tried the no poo thing for like 3 days before I gave up; it was causing my face and back to break out and my head was too itchy!

Connor Novy -January 30, 2014, 8:25AM

So I haven’t washed my hair in a year and a half. It’s great, my hair has never looked better and friends keep switching because they’re impressed.

What I do is slather a non-sulfate, no alcohol etc conditioner on my hair, tie it into a doofy looking top knot, shower, and then rinse it out. Never greasy.

I suggest a Lush conditioner, or something similar. I tried using coconut oil once in a pinch and was greasy for days..

Hope that’s helpful,

C

Jessie -January 30, 2014, 9:26AM

I also recommend Lush’s solid shampoos. I’ve been using the “New” bar for quite some time (because it helps strengthen hair and promotes growth which is something I’ve been desperately needing for the past year) but every now and then I switch to “Godiva” which has the most wonderful jasmine scent!

For about 6 months or maybe more, I did skip shampooing every day in favor of every other day but after a while, I realized it didn’t seem to do much for me. My new goal has been to not use chemical dyes on my hair. After going from dark brunette to blonde two summers in a row, my hair basically quit on me so I started using henna (also from Lush) instead and it has been the greatest hair decision I’ve ever made!

Juliette Laura -January 30, 2014, 9:36AM

I would stick to this method for a while, then switch to lush! I have heard great things about lush hair products.

Marie -January 30, 2014, 9:52AM

I would definitely recommend you stick with the castile soap, it’s worked wonders for me! I wash my hair with a mix of about equal parts castile soap and coconut milk, and add a tablespoon or so of baking soda. The feeling you’re talking about in your hair–the greasy yet dry texture–is a result of the ph of the shampoo. Castile soap is an EXTREME base, so to fix that, just do a diluted apple cider vinegar rinse to even out the ph. The result is gorgeous hair, I promise!

Amanda -January 30, 2014, 10:01AM

I still say soap nut powder.

Becky -January 30, 2014, 10:19AM

Lush is perfection.

LamentingLizzie -January 30, 2014, 10:32AM

I did not like Dr. Bronner’s on my hair. I may not have diluted it enough, but my hair felt dry. Has anyone tried the LUSH solid soap on colored hair?

Maren -January 30, 2014, 11:01AM

If you wash your hair with just soap, you sould always rinse it with something sour/acidic afterwards to neutralize. For example two table spoons of lemon juice or white vinegar in 1l of cool water. Otherwise the soap, even if it cleans your hair, can leave a coat behind that makes your hair feel greasy and dull. At least that’s what my grandmother did in her days ;)

Kara -January 30, 2014, 11:07AM

I have heard to use 1/4 cup baking soda on head (only on scalp) while in the shower, to create a paste, for the shampoo. Coconut oil for conditioner (only on ends), and an apple cider vinegar rinse 2x per week (helps condition). Cheap and you can find all of the items at trader joe’s.

Lisa -January 30, 2014, 11:55AM

I heard that if you use castile soap with hard, unfiltered water, it will leave a heavy film on your hair. I would invest in a shower head filter if you are going to use castile soap.
If you don’t want to buy shower filters (like me) I heard soapnut powder is the way to go.
I’ve been following this girl’s blog about her transition. http://almostexactlyblog.wordpress.com/2013/04/24/extra-thoughts-on-going-no-poo/
I love following your blog as well. I’m trying to get my research dialed before I go no-poo.
Hope this helps!

Alexis -January 30, 2014, 12:09PM

I say get a tiny bottle of Lush “Rehab”. I use it once every week or so after not washing my hair for days until the grease is to the point I can’t stand, and it’s so clarifying and the mint is really rejuvinating. If you want to try a dry shampoo bar, the Godiva has been a godsend for me as well… I do use the Happy Happy Joy Joy conditioner on my ends, with coconut oil overnight. I’m a big Lush advocator after putting lots of pantry products, mayonaise, olive oil, beer and egg yolks in my hair (though I never did try honey). I really love following your journey and your blog, and I am curious and interested to see what you try next… But with that said, the Lush is a good last alternative when the going gets too tough. :)

Tonya -January 30, 2014, 12:27PM

I would be careful with Lush products. Most all their products have some really questionable ingredients. For instance, artificial dyes in the seanik (FD&C Blue No. 1), Ibiza has Propylene glycol and parabens. Just to name a few.

If you want a truly natural bar shampoo check out a couple of the ones I just found. I haven’t tried them but their ingredients are safe.

My experience with the bar shampoo has been positive, as I have really, really thin hair and it definitely gives it more fullness and takes very little to suds up. Can’t think of the brand name at the moment, but my guess is that they are all pretty similar, except for fragrances.

Alexis -January 30, 2014, 12:28PM

DO NOT USE LUSH. LUSH WILL RUIN YOUR HAIR!! IT RUINED MY BEAUTIFUL LONG HAIR IT ALL HAS HENNA IN IT AND IF YOU EVER WANT TO HIGHLIGHT YOUR HAIR OR CHANGE OR DYE YOUR HAIR IT WILL SIZZLE AND SMOKE YOUR HAIR RIGHT OFF THE MINUTE THE LIGHTER DYE OR BLEACH HITS YOUR HAIR!! LUSH WAS MY FAVORITE UNTIL I TRIED TO PUT HIGHLIGHTS IN MY HAIR HENNA IS SOMETHING THAT WILL STAY IN YOUR HAIR UNTIL YOU CUT IT OUT WHICH MEANS YOU USE THEIR SHAMPOO OR CONDITIONER ALL OVER YOUR HEAD. NEXT THING YOU KNOW YOU HAVE HENNA FROM YOUR ROOTS TO YOUR TIPS AND UNTIL YOU HAVE COMPLETELY GROWN IT OUT TO A LENGTH YOUR WILLING TO CHOP IT OFF YOU ARE STUCK!! PLEASE PASS ON!! LUSH IS AN AWESOME PLACE UNTIL YOU REALIZE WHAT IT REALLY DOES TO YOUR HAIR!!

Hannah -January 30, 2014, 12:29PM

I agree with everyone above about the wonders of Lush products. While I was backpacking through Europe for two months, I used their solid shampoos and conditioners. No only were they awesome for travel purposes, but my hair and scalp were in amazing condition! I tend to suffer from itchy scalp and I have dry curly hair (yet my scalp can seem oily at the same time…), but these products worked like a dream for me. My go-tos are Godiva and Jungle.

Alex Salvesen -January 30, 2014, 12:31PM

I definitely think that the honey rinse is something for girls with hair that tends to be a bit drier and less oil. I have very thick curly hair that is naturally dry so I feel that I should try the honey solution at some point. Thanks Bridget!

Sevi -January 30, 2014, 1:09PM

As I Am makes an amazing co-wash! SO cheap (under 6 dollars) and, in my opinion, doesn’t leave hair greasy. I have literally never felt so good about my hair. P.S. thanks for offering up your hair to these experiments! salute!

Anais -January 30, 2014, 1:33PM

I don’t trust Lush…They’re too big to be trustworthy to me, speaking in terms of natural/environmental friendly products. I mean you can find their shops in every big enough cities in developed countries, I come from France and they’re there too….my intuition tells me they can’t be good.
Over the Christmas holidays I tried castile soap with a bit of baking soda and lavender oil, and my hair was great! I haven’t continued with this because I have 2 bottles of organic shampoo left that I don’t want to throw away, but after that I’ll definitely go with that method.

Britta -January 30, 2014, 2:08PM

I have been washing with a Baking Soda paste and although it sounds strange it is the perfect shampoo substitute! My friends rave about it… only about 1/4 cup will do.. make a paste and rub on the scalp, it is naturally rough so it actually cleans the root, although it is a bit salty. I would suggest just cleansing the scalp for the most part, hold up the bottom of your hair as it rinses through. It cleans your hair without stripping it, and will allow for fewer washings per week once you become regular. Finish with an Apple Cider vinegar rinse but be sure to comb your hair before doing that, as it wont be very silky like when using fake conditioners with tons of additives. Comb hair and put a little unrefined coconut oil on the ends to condition… a dab will do it. Try this method next week! I think part of the point of going natural with hair cleansing is moving away from purchasing expensive hair products such as Lush. You may have to tinker with the portions of baking soda and vinegar that work best for your hair. Use an essential oil spray to scent your hair if needed.. although the vinegar smell will fade after your hair dries.

Sheridan -January 30, 2014, 2:23PM

Hey Brigette!
So if you end up deciding that the no shampoo thing isn’t working out, I know lots of companies that have real ingredients and not all of the yucky chemicals that shouldn’t be on our bodies or in our hair. I really like “the honest company” and their products. I completetly trust their ingreadients!

Milka -January 30, 2014, 3:57PM

You have to dilute the castile soap. If you use it straight out the bottle it’s too pure. You can dilute it with AC vinegar or just water. Start with 1/4 soap and the rest water and work your way up if you feel you need more soap. For conditioner I use avocado oil for deep conditioning because it also is too much for daily use. Try coconut oil instead or sweet almond oil just on the lower half and vinegar on the roots. Also, give it a little time since you just switched methods. GOOD LUCK!

Natasha -January 30, 2014, 4:42PM

Hi Brigette
I’ve been using baking soda/vinegar to wash and condition my hair extremely successfully for coming up two years. The key to getting it to work seems to be in figuring out whether you live in a hard water/soft water area. You’ll know if you have hard water if your soap doesn’t lather up easily. I live in a part of NZ with hard water and this is my routine.
I take two 400gm glass jars, place two heaped teaspoons of baking soda into one, and quarter fill the jar with boiling water and stir until dissolved. I then top up the jar to the top with cold water, and that’s your shampoo, good to go. In the other jar, I half fill with cold, then quarter fill with vinegar, and top up with boiling, so it’s warm. That’s your conditioner. Use them soon while they are still warm!
Now for the washing part. I get in the shower with dry hair, and massage the baking soda jar, slowly bit by bit, onto my scalp. You’ll know when you’ve got the right baking soda ratio for your water, because you hair will feel slippery, almost like soap. Massage it in concentrating on your scalp. Rinse well under the shower, and squeeze out the excess water. Then apply the vinegar jar all over, and don’t rinse out, just squeeze out the excess when you’re finished in the shower.
I wash my hair 1-2 times a week in this way, and it has never looked or felt better. After lots of trial and error, the key seems to be DISSOLVING the baking soda thoroughly, and getting the amounts right for you hard/soft water until you get that ‘slippery soap’ feeling. You may need more baking soda for soft water and vice versa. Don’t skip the vinegar rinse either, as you need it to take the PH of your hair back to acidic after the akaline baking soda. If you leave it alkaline it will dry out horribly and look rough and dull.
It’s worked so well for me, I just had to share! There are natural ways to wash your hair for sure, you just need to experiment to find the one that works for you :)

Nichol -January 30, 2014, 4:42PM

I have tried a gamut of things and here is what I’m currently using that seems to work. I am using Goldie’s chamomile shampoo (sulfate free) and sage conditioner. They both are chemical free and super gentle. My hair is fine and oily and this combo seems to get rid of the excess oil without stripping it, The conditioner is hydrating and light, good for getting out tangles but won’t leave your hair greasy, I try to shampoo every 2 days or so. I use coconut oil or argan oil on the ends. Also shampooing just at the root area will prevent stripping too much oil from the older drier ends. Goldie’s makes a great argan oil and dry shampoo as well.

Nichol -January 30, 2014, 4:45PM

also as far as lush goes, while the products may smell good, they are full of parabens and sulfates :-(

emilypansy -January 30, 2014, 5:21PM

I only use the LUSH solid shampoo and it works fine with my color treated hair. However the solid shampoos still contain sodium lauryl sulfate to create a lather when you wash your hair. This is of course a sort of controversial ingredient as some believe that it is linked to cancer.

katie -January 30, 2014, 5:31PM

such a great post brigette! this really opens my eyes to the varieties of washing hair with natural products. can’t wait to try some of these.

raji -January 30, 2014, 8:29PM

I have been trying a similar experiment for the last few weeks. I have been trying soap( https://whollyhemp.com ) and vinegar for my hair. I have been seeing similar results. It is definitely not drying like shampoos but it is kind of greasy and dry at the same time. And I think my face feels more oily than before. Since I started my experiments I have been reading more of the chemistry of the shampoos/soaps/vinegars etc and trying to understand better. I came across this site in the process http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/idascorner/shampwater.aspx . Maybe you will find some use.
Also when I was a kid, I grew mostly using soapnuts+other natural products to wash hair and my hair was always smooth and silky. I am hoping to see if there are soaps/shampoos out there I can experiment and see if they have the desired effects. Good luck with your experiments !!!

g -January 30, 2014, 8:34PM

If your reason for not shampooing with regular shampoos is to avoid the chemicals/ unnatural ingredients I would think carefully about using lush. I think a lot of there products still have detergents in them even though they claim to be natural! Just something to look into.

Madeleine -January 30, 2014, 8:43PM

B, I think you may be washing your hair too often. I know it may be hard, but your hair needs the essential oils that YOU produce the most to be healthy. While other added oils are helpful, the goal in this experiment should be to help your scalp develop enough of its own oils. So when you think that your hair feels “dry yet greasy at the same time” that means it is working. When your hair feels dry, it produces more oil. Oily hair is actually healthy hair! Try washing your hair only once every 3-4 days if you can.
I spent a month in Peru working on an organic farm and was only able to wash my hair once every 7 days… hard to believe I know… But once I got over that initial gross/ greasy period I started to notice how nice my hair felt, like how it is supposed to feel, natural.
I have not used chemical shampoos in over a year. I currently use Uncle harry’s shampoo and conditioner and could not be more happy with these products. They are sold online and at the local co-op. They mix castille soap for cleansing, and organic essential oils to leave your hair shiny and soft. Try it out! You’re doing great, keep it up!

anastacia -January 30, 2014, 8:52PM

I LOVE the Dr. Bronner soap! If you are looking to grow out your hair, try using the Peppermint flavor/scent. It helps stimulate your scalp! I use my Dr. Bronner soap for everything- body wash, shampoo, face wash, laundry, to clean my vanity, I have even used it once to brush my teeth!

Isolde -January 30, 2014, 9:02PM

Hello Brigette!
I love reading about your hair journey and here’s a bit from what I learned during mine! :) I wanted to make my hair healthier and in efforts to grow it out so I cut out shampoo and I found that co-washing (conditioner washing) has gotten my hair to its prime. Co-washing does take longer than traditional shampoo and conditioner because you basically massage conditioner into your scalp until you feel the grease lift off but the outcome is worth it. The trick is finding a light conditioner to work with. I personally still use commercial products that just exclude sulfates, silicones, and proteins but I’m sure if you can find a natural conditioner it will work just as well! I sometimes put coconut oil on my scalp before showering and I think co-washing gets the oil out better than shampoo (without drying my hair out at all!). I’ve been able to grow my once frizzy hair down my back and it now looks super healthy and shiny even though I only cut my hair twice a year. Please look into it if you can! Best of luck to you! :)

Mallie -January 30, 2014, 10:29PM

Why are you doing this too your hair? Go with WEN….chaz dean cleansers …no soap… No lather…..no artificial anything…and your hair will never look better….I haven’t used shampoo on my hair in 8 yrs…why suffer….it just doesn’t make sense….you will never regret it …..ever……please you will thank me.

Iheartcatpants -January 30, 2014, 11:07PM

I don’t ever comment on things, but I undertook a similar hair journey and the dr. Bronners was a low point – for hair (great for other stuff, but not hair). Just use DevaCurl. There are two cleanser choices and a perfect cream, and you can use them on straight hair, curly hair, or heat style afterwards. They’re safe to use on dyed hair (even crayon colours) and you can fine tune the amount of oiliness left on your hair/scalp.

Ree -January 31, 2014, 12:45AM

I’ve read a lot about baking soda/apple cider vinegar combo. I haven’t started it yet, as I am trying to get rid of my commercial products. But I have read quite a bit, and from the outpour of positive comments, it seems like the way to go. I’ve also heard while doing the baking soda/ACV routine, it is good to do a coconut oil treatment once a month (no more or your hair will get greasy again). Excited to start the process!

Kali Poulos -January 31, 2014, 12:47AM

Loving your posts !! I’m a hairstylist and use a very clean line. It’s organic? vegan, gf, paraben free, fragrance free, sulfate free etc. It is called neuma and is amazing ! It also performs very well! P.s. LUSH uses parabens and It has fragrance I believe I wouldn’t recommend the term fragrance in an ingredient list isn’t regulated and lots of toxic ingredients can be hidden in the the term fragrance or parfum

Paige b -January 31, 2014, 12:53AM

Someone came into the salon and sat in my chair who had done the “baking soda and vinegar” for shampoo for 3 months and her hair had so much buildup on it from the baking soda and vinegar (and smelled like vinegar too..) that it was heavy, and you could feel the buildup on her hair.
Vinegar and baking soda has none of the polypeptides, amino acids, and moisture that your hair needs to be healthy. Yes, some shampoos have harsh detergents in them that are bad for your hair, but if you get the right shampoos and conditioners, then you will have healthy hair. I recommend Davines NaturalTech line: it’s as close to natural/organic as you can get, without having to refrigerate it. And they’re an ethical company, I suggest looking them up :)
The oily yet dry hair that youre feeling is the buildup from the vinegar/honey on your hair, yet without the moisture and proteins that your hair needs.
Back to my story, we had to use a detoxifying shampoo to pull all of the buildup off her hair, and the difference was amazing. Her hair physically was lighter..
So just a warning ;) i feel like it’s my job as a hairdresser to let you know!!

Chelsea -January 31, 2014, 1:25AM

I love Acure products. You can get them on amazon. They smell amazing and make my skin and hair feel perfect.

Louise -January 31, 2014, 1:38AM

I recently switched to baking soda/apple cider vinegar method trying to cut out some chemicals from my routine and so far it’s working really well for me. I would say don’t discount it and give it a shot! I got the little kit from http://www.howtohairgirl.com/shamphree, the little pointy tipped squeeze bottles make it really easy to apply right where you want and right into the roots.
For your castile and avocado oil you’re trying right now…maybe try switching them, apply the oil first and let it set for a bit, then wash with the castile soap?
My other thought is maybe switching it up each wash? Avocado/castile one day, honey the next, etc. Maybe try the baking soda/apple cider vinegar or clay once a week, as kind of a clarifying day to clear up any excess oil. Just a few thoughts! Good luck on your journey, it feels good to be kicking some chemicals to the curb!

Sarah -January 31, 2014, 1:39AM

Wash your hair with baking soda. Rinse with apple cider vinegar. Moisturize with coconut oil

Eva -January 31, 2014, 2:21AM

I am seeing a lot of recommendations for Lush products, and I just wanted to point out that they are not natural and they contain sulfates: https://www.lush.co.uk/ingredient/detail/id/630/name/Sodium%20Lauryl%20Sulfate

Wen and Devacurl are sulfate free products that are healthy for the hair.

HiIlary Mitchell -January 31, 2014, 4:25AM

My mom makes me dry shampoo, ıt ıs a mıxture of her homemade castıle bar, borax and lavender oıl. she shaves the soap and mıxes ıt wıth the borax and lavender. I only wash every other day as well and condıtıon once a week wıth lemon. 1 year runnıng and I love my haırs!

Sheryl -January 31, 2014, 7:31AM

ROSEMARY AND MINT OILS IN DISTILLED WATER AND LEMON WARM WATER RINSE, BAKING SODA WILL TAKE OUT ANY REAL BOOBOOS AND BE SURE AND CONTINUE 100 BRUSH STROKES AND MASSAGE

Salvina -January 31, 2014, 8:26AM

Awesome post B! I use Dr Bronners lavender wash on my skin, but even then it dries my skin out! Have you tried grape seed extract as a light oil to put on your hair after you wash it? It’s lighter than avocado oil, and it nurishes your hair follicles which help with dry split ends. It works on all hair types, the oil is very light. Add your favourite essential oil smell (few drops) on your light wet hair and air dry. Your hair will smell fantastic!

Amanda -January 31, 2014, 8:48AM

I just read an article (and then heard from a friend who has dreads) that using baking soda to wash and diluted apple cider vinegar to condition will work. I would love to see you try that. I’m interested in how it would work!

Jordan -January 31, 2014, 1:22PM

I’ve been looking into options for no-poo shampoo that not only helps clean your hair naturally, but that also help balance the pH levels of your scalp to provide more nourishment. This site was a great start for me:

Jordan -January 31, 2014, 1:25PM

I also wanted to comment that the ‘baking soda and apple cider vinegar’ method is actually really harsh for your scalp/hair, and may end up doing more damage. Here’s an idea of what I’ve heard on that idea:

Mallory -January 31, 2014, 1:38PM

I use Dr. Bronners for almost everything – including my hair. However, I have relatively thick, very curly hair so I only feel the need to wash my hair no more than once a week (the longest I’ve gone was about a month or so, which actually had great results!). The conditioner that I use now the Whole Foods brand and claims to be free of any harsh chemicals and seems to work great for me. I’d love to switch to using strictly oils to condition but haven’t gotten a chance to do a good amount of research yet. I only suggest coconut oil when doing deep conditioning treatments because coconut oil can tend to make your hair extremely dirty.

Bryn Terrell -January 31, 2014, 3:12PM

shea moisture shampoo and conditioner is amazing. 100% vegan plant based, no dyes or perfumes. I am obsessed and have convinced many of my friends to switch

meg -January 31, 2014, 4:56PM

i work in a little natural food store and have tried a million natural hair products, including dr bronners and apple cider vinegar. by far the best product i’ve tried is the Zion Health Adama shampoo & conditioner set, particularly the “white coconut” one. their products are made with ancient mineral clay as the focus ingredient, and the white coconut is nourishing and smells great. they left my hair feeling weightless, shiny and strong. only downside is they’re a little pricey. check it out :)

Becca -January 31, 2014, 6:53PM

I’ve been using Dr. Bronner’s shampoo for about 5 months now along with the Dr. Bronner’s Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse. It took a little time to figure out the right amounts of each to use and of course there was a transition period, but it seems to be doing well and I’ve come to really like it. Before switching to Bronner’s I stumbled upon this site, which led me to get the conditioning hair rinse as well:

Mandy -January 31, 2014, 6:55PM

No, no, no, I’ll do you ALL one better. :)))

I’ve tried cleansing with castile soap, oils, baking soda, vinegar…. the whole 9 yards. Castile soap made my hair SO dull and dry after using it for a while.

I absolutely SWEAR by J.R. Liggets. It’s a natural oil bar that you use to cleanse your hair naturally and gently. It’s amazing, and the only 100% natural thing I’ve ever used on my hair longterm and still loved! Check it out, and check out the ingredients! Amazing, ladies!! :)

Summer -January 31, 2014, 11:55PM

I use doctor bronner’s followed by an apple cider vinegar rinse- I love how my hair looks and feels after! I haven’t bought shampoo in at least a year. But sometimes I’ll feel like I need something a little extra, if I feel like it’s greasy one day and I want a deep clean, I go for baking soda. If it’s feeling dry, I soak it in coconut milk. Works great! I also avoid washing it daily, I go for a few times a week. That’s an area where “listening” to your hair comes in handy.

angela -February 1, 2014, 1:51AM

i switched my shampoos and now use natures gate shampoo. Although it is an actual shampoo, it is phalate/sulfate/laureth free. Their shampoos are vegan and animal cruelty free and also support sustainability and preserving natural resources.

I would recommend if you did want to switch back to a shampoo that feels like you’re getting some sort of lather, i would highly recommend this product.

Giulia -February 1, 2014, 5:42AM

Have you thought about washing hair with powders? I don’t mean dry shampoos: there are some natural powders (such as amla) which are used together with water to shampoo the hair. I’ve never try them, but I’ve read lots of good feedbacks.
Let me know if it was any help :)
Kisses from Italy

p.s. Btw love your hair color. I am SO envious.

Monica Martinez -February 1, 2014, 10:07AM

Hi Brigette,
I would try a baking soda paste (just water and baking soda) as a shampoo to rub onto you scalp this gives u that clean feeling like a shampoo would and apple cider vinegar as a conditioning treatment. I dunk my ends in a cup of it for a minute since they need the most moisture and than pour the remaining vinegar over my head and rinse! :) your hair may feel dry at first while it’s wet but after drying its is incredibly soft and shiny. I have tried other natural methods but none gave me the clean feeling like the baking soda and it’s totally ok for your hair (baking sofa is great for almost everything) I would suggest however that u brush your hair before using this method as like i said once cleaned and still wet your hair is hard to work through until dry. I hope u look into this it’s great* keep up the great work I am an asm at our Toronto location and the girls and I love your posts*
Kind regards,
Monica

Jes -February 1, 2014, 3:36PM

I am a hairstylist and have been following your journey! When you researched the no poo method and found that it would be damaging to your hair; the Castile soap will do that same. It too has a ph of about 8 so it’s essentially going to do the same thing to your hair as bakings kids does. The shampoo bars are the new rage and those have a low ph like honey but have some other things in them to help clean.

Vikki -February 2, 2014, 12:11AM

Lush is great but they do use safe synthetics in their products which really goes against the all natural method approach your going for. So after I saw your last post, i did a little research to see if their was such a thing as a no poo product… Im happy to say I found it! (:
It seems like nothings working the way you want it to, so why not leave it to the professionals? (;

Jacqueline -February 2, 2014, 9:44AM

because we with every hairwash conditioner and take a cure use we have completely forgotten like ourselves ours lose hair without all that feels and feel it then as dry, inflexibly, quickly greasing and strangely smelling although everything is in order with it. actually, we should get more feeling for its nature condition again! sorry for my english i hope it is clear.

Barbora -February 3, 2014, 12:47AM

Have you tried washing your hair with baking soda and conditioning with vinegar? I have been shampoo free for over a year using those two.

Audrey -February 3, 2014, 10:41AM

Hi Brigette.

I love following your journey into a shampoo free world. I’ve been exploring natural shampoos and the shampooless way for some time now. Unlike you though, my hair is naturally thinner and so if my hair is greasy it really shows. Honey did not work well, though it works wonders as face and body soap.

You may find these two links interesting: http://www.thankyourbody.com/ph-balanced-shampoo-recipe/ and http://www.crunchybetty.com/not-ready-for-no-poo-try-sorta-poo-with-coconut-milk-and-castille/comment-page-3

Also, as a side note. For me dry shampoos only go so far, though you are right, they can be quite a savior. However, while I was all over dry shampoo when I first heard of it, I have since cooled off quite a bit and am hesitant to use it frequently (though I still use it sparingly as needed). The reason for this is that the tiny particles of the shampoo can apparently clog pores on your head over time, and therefore reduce or impact the growth of new hair. Bummer, I know, but if you think about it, it makes sense.

mar -February 3, 2014, 11:58AM

I would like to try this, but my hair is so thin, is very curly and dry, so Im more afraid about the no conditioner thing, than the no shampoo. There was a time when I was in college when I used to wash my hair with a mix of aloe vera and glycerin (I heard that was the only thing Rastafarians used on their hair, dont know if its true and dont even know why that gave me the idea to use it too LOL), but anyways, I still used a commercial conditioner and my hair was awesome, the best its been in my whole life, but then I didnt have time to make the mix every time I was going to wash my hair, so went back to a commercial shampoo… I so want to go back to using the aloe and I heard some people mix it with the castile soap too. I think your post is giving me the little last push that I need to try again and I also miss my long hair from my college days!!!
I’m very interested in seeing how it goes for you in a couple of weeks! I am basing my ultimate decision on your results, LOL!

Mona -February 5, 2014, 10:49AM

brigette my love, stay away from the castile soap! i know it is all natural but that doesn’t always mean it’s good for you. no-shampoo methods using castile soap or baking soda are not ph balanced and have very high alkaline levels. so it may work for hair in the short-term, but in the long-term will do more damage than good and make your hair more porous and susceptible to damage. i use wen on my hair, but since you are going for a completely raw and natural method, i highly recommend morocco method products. they have various shampoos to treat all kinds of hair problems, and the ingredients are all 100% raw and natural. not to mention, it will do wonders for your hair and get rid of any excessive oiliness you’ve been experiencing. one of their products i swear by is the “zen detox.” definitely worth checking out!

Suzi Q -February 5, 2014, 1:40PM

I’m an on and off natural shampoo user. By this, I mean, I go through phases where I use shampoo and don’t add anything to my hair.

I’m half Asian and have inherited the corse, thick hair of my mothers side. My ends always take a beating in the summer. In the winter my scalp sometimes gets too dry.

Over the years I’ve let my greasy hair go, only washing it once a week with warm/hot water and using a light natural shampoo only on the scalp. The longest I’ve gone without washing my hair with natural shampoos was three weeks. Yes I do have those greasy days, but try and wait it out as long as I can to stretch out the the next washing due date. Your scalp will release less oils if you do this. I don’t use conditioner, only coconut oil on my ends and where i need it. If I have fly aways and frizzy hair, rub a small amount of coconut oil between my palms and smooth out the fly aways. Done!

Adding anything to your hair, trying to neutralize and balance the PH level can get overwhelming.
More products, more problems. Simplicity is bliss.

Anonymous -February 5, 2014, 1:51PM

I’ve been using Wen for the longest time, and although it isn’t natural, I’ve discovered that you hair can be cleaned and moisturized perfectly with only conditioner. My hair dresser told me she uses all natural conditioner, the way you use wen, and results are exactly the same. I’d say maybe try using just a Lush conditioner. Use it the way you would shampoo-put a lot in, the more the better, and really scrub your scalp all over. Then, instead of rinsing, leave it on the same time you would a regular conditioner. Good luck!

Nina -February 14, 2014, 10:45AM

Hey girl, love reading this hair journey. I just wanted to let you know that even though Lush products are “homemade” they still contain ingredients like Sodium Laureth Sulfate which as you know is not natural. I use a brand called John Masters Organics detangler and farmers market goat milk bar soap as shampoo(any mild truly homemade bar soap works well) and then I only wash my hair every three days:) I also mix raw cocoa in with my arrowroot powder for my light brown hair:)
- peace, love and oxytocin
Nina

Lisa -July 4, 2014, 3:55PM

Lush isn’t a “natural” alternative to shampoo. Lush shampoo bars contain the exact same synthetic ingredients as liquid shampoo. The physical form is just different. (Unlike natural bar soap, which really is different from synthetic liquid soaps.) True, Lush shampoo bars are environmentally friendlier than liquid shampoo in terms of not having plastic bottles to discard, and the solid bar is convenient. But it isn’t “natural”.