Make Your Own Infused Honey

Post image for Make Your Own Infused Honey

This weekend, I made something awesome. Sticky…yes, but getting your hands a little dirty is probably the hardest thing you will have to overcome when it comes to making your own infused honey.

I came across an image of some honey jars with fresh green herbs in them, and they looked so pretty and delicious that I had to try it out myself. To be made as a gift or a tasty accessory in the kitchen, read on to learn how to make your own infused honey!

different herbs and spices

I went to the grocery store and picked up some ingredients to start the infusion process. When I was choosing, I thought about some different flavor combinations that would hit the taste buds right.

Here is a list of some different ingredients you could use:

Thyme

Sage

Mint

Ginger

Lavender

Peppermint

Vanilla beans

Rosemary

Cinnamon sticks

honey comb

When it comes to picking out a honey to use, I went with an orange blossom honey. Next time I might try a wildflower honey for a different flavor!

bottle supplies

What you need

Honey

Jars (I recycled some old glass spice jars and just peeled off the label. They were the perfect size! Mason jars are a good option too.)

Herbs & spices

Paper & twine to label

jars filled with herbs

I chose to do three different kinds of honey: lavender & vanilla, thyme, and ginger & mint. It’s fun to experiment with different combinations, so get creative and try a few out!

Fill your glass jars with your ingredients. The more you use, the stronger the flavor will be, and the less you use, a more mild flavor will result. I made sure to peel the ginger before placing it in with the mint to achieve more flavor.

all honey jars filled

Take your honey and pour it over the ingredients in the jars. When the jar is halfway full, give the ingredients a stir with a wooden spoon, then continue filling to the top. Once all of your jars have been filled, cover with a lid and allow the flavors to infuse for at least 5 days. The longer you wait, the more flavorful your honey will be.

lavender vanilla honey with tag

I labeled my jars using some twine and brown paper. These little honey jars make for the perfect gift!

ice cream with honey on top

Strain the honey with a cheesecloth before use. You can add the honey to hot tea or coffee, mix it in with some homemade granola, or use it to bake and cook with! I love how easy infused honey is to make and how many ways you can use it. My favorite way so far is to drizzle some of the lavender & vanilla honey over some vanilla ice cream…mmm, so good!

Do you have any other flavor suggestions or ways to use infused honey? We would love to hear!

More recipes on the BLDG 25 Blog.

Follow FP Jana on Twitter.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Comments

Annejelina -January 14, 2014, 10:15AM

OooOoo these sound awesome and would be great to use for skin care too since the have the added benefit of fresh herbs. Love! <3
xoxo Annejelina

Visit my shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrownofCreationShop

Lauryn -January 14, 2014, 10:51AM

We use honey with everything, but one of the more common ones is over creamed wheat. The ginger and mint one would taste AMAZING with that…. I definitely have to try this!

Juliette Laura -January 14, 2014, 10:59AM

Oh my goodness I adore honey, I would love to try this with raw honey!

xo, Juliette Laura

Jade -January 14, 2014, 3:48PM

I usually do the same thing but with grated ginger in honey. This makes it very very spicy and delicious!

Nikha -January 14, 2014, 4:20PM

I made honey with ginger and lemon a few days ago. It´s great remedy for sore throat.

katie -January 14, 2014, 5:09PM

I don’t mean to be a stickler here, but this is actually not a very efficent of safe way to infuse honey. Depending on what your using to infuse the honey, this method could hatbor unsafe bacteria, and also not pull out many of the constituents. To best infuse honey, use a double broiler on the stove top and cook at a low heat till you get the desired level of taste. You’ll also want yo be sure jars are sanatized and dry. This method will remove harmful bacteria and infuse honeys that will last you :)

Lilus -January 14, 2014, 5:25PM

I love the idea! Mmm maybe some orange peel?

Megan Babin -January 14, 2014, 6:43PM

The lavender and vanilla would be so yummy in some tea!

Jessica -January 16, 2014, 12:32PM

I’m currently infusing some local raw honey with lavender flowers and vanilla bean – can’t wait to try! xx

Zarin -January 17, 2014, 1:13AM

Thanks your infused honey treat inspired a sci-fi story hehe lol
uh, they are so beautiful thank you for sharing. I bet they make icecream and other deserts and teas really yumilicious.

Rich -April 3, 2014, 3:18PM

My wife and I are the keepers. We produce 700 pounds of honey a year and sell at local farmers markets. Its just a hobby for us but the bees are fascinating. I’d suggest using only dry herbs and spices. Honey has a moisture content of less than 17 percent water. Introducing anything with a hires concentration of water will cause the honey to ferment. Never ever heat the honey over 100 and 35 degrees as it will kill all of the beneficial stuff.

Vivi -May 9, 2014, 11:20PM

I do not know what I did wrong since I did the same with ginger and lemongrass for about 5 days too. But when I went to check today the honey was liquidity and had some white spots that appeared out of nowhere! when it was perfectly fine yesterday; sticky and flavorful (I would check from time to time). Do you think that the lemongrass has anything to do with it? :(

John McHenry -May 29, 2014, 9:52AM

I have to agree with Julie on this. It’s much safer to infuse the honey over low heat. Sanitation is paramount. Keeping the honey under 135 as suggested by another poster is fine for leaving the honey in it’s raw state- but if you really want to be safe and store your infused honey for any length of time, I’d suggest making sure to pasteurize at about 175 degrees. The “benficial stuff” doesn’t mean much to me for my infused honey- but I use it exclusively for beer brewing. Keeping everything sanitary is much more important for my application.