Love Foods: Oat + Banana Nut Muffins

Post image for Love Foods: Oat + Banana Nut Muffins

This post is part of our love food series from Jill of a Better Happier St. Sebastian.

Love is in the air during the month of February, and for this month’s recipe theme we’re featuring “love foods” – recipes containing ingredients that are natural aphrodisiacs! This recipe contains bananas, which are loaded with potassium, magnesium, and vitamin B – all of which can help boost energy. They also contain an enzyme called bromeliad, said to enhance the male libido.

Oat + Banana Nut Muffins

for topping

¼ cup oats

¼ cup chopped walnuts

½ tablespoon butter, softened

2 tablespoons light brown sugar

banana nut

Preheat oven to 350° and prepare a standard 12 cup muffin tin or larger 6 cup tin with cooking spray. Combine flours, brown sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl and set aside. Using a stand mixer or a whisk, combine the mashed banana, egg whites, milk and canola oil. Pour the wet mixture and slowly mix until just combined, add walnuts. To prepare the topping, stir together the oats, walnuts, butter and brown sugar until crumbly. Pour the muffin batter into the tins, and top with oat mixture. Bake until golden brown and muffins are cooked through, about 20 minutes.

muffins in tray

muffins finished

For more of Jill’s recipes visit her blog a Better Happier St. Sebastian.

More healthy recipes from the BLDG 25 Blog.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Comments

Leslie -February 2, 2014, 8:23AM

I absolutely love your clothing and accessories. I also love that FP stands for healthy mind, body, and spirit. Look as good as we feel. Thank You for striving to bring us such amazing wear. Thank you for your blog as well♥

Juliette Laura -February 2, 2014, 8:26AM

Oh these sound so so delicious! And I couldn’t agree with Leslie above me more. Perfection!

Julie -February 2, 2014, 8:46AM

There is nothing better than a warm muffin with a slab of butter for breakfast with a cup of fresh coffee for breakfast. Pair that with a sleepy morning in bed with a loved one and there’s no way your day could go wrong. I look forward to baking these – thank you for sharing :)

jelena -February 2, 2014, 10:05AM

yummy

Emily -February 2, 2014, 11:45AM

I JUST made these–eating one now. They are REALLY good! i put the walnuts in the food processor for a more uniform texture and instead of 1 1/2c white flour, I used 1 c white flour and 1/2 c wheat flour. I’ll be making these again :)

Victoria -February 2, 2014, 4:58PM

looks great and must be very good

I invite you to stop by my blog everydayvictoriap.blogspot.com.es

Maddie -February 2, 2014, 6:38PM

For those weight conscious people I like me, I thought I would post what I plan on using to lower the calorie count when I make these tomorrow. Instead of using light brown sugar, I plan on using Stevia in the Raw. Also, as a substitute for canola oil I am going to use extra virgin olive oil and for the butter I will be using I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter. Plus, by using all oat flour instead of all purpose flour as well, the calories continue to decrease. My substitutions brought the calorie count per muffin from 255.75 with the original recipe down to 197.5 with the substitutions I have made. I can totally justify eating one for that!

Marie-Helene -February 2, 2014, 7:56PM

I just made these and they’re delicious!! Couldn’t find oat flour so I used coconut flour instead. It messed up the quantities and cooking time a bit but they were delicious!! Def will make these again!

Becky Miller -February 3, 2014, 9:22AM

This looks amazing!! Wish I could have it for breakfast today <3

Flourish Design Co. -February 3, 2014, 3:54PM

Obsessed with all things banana! Gotta try this!

Anika -February 5, 2014, 10:44AM

These are incredible! I ran out of canola oil so I used butter instead. I also used vanilla almond milk instead of skim milk, which I think added a nice flavor. Thanks for the great recipe!

Julia -February 8, 2014, 3:23PM

Made these last night and I’m loving them. I’m happy that my kind of improvisation on the recipe worked out alright – I didn’t use any sugar (replaced it with some more flour and honey). Thanks to honey and bananas, they’re still sweet :) I will definitely make them again!