There’s something about glass domes that just tugs the teeny tiny strings of my heart. I think it’s their ability to encapsulate a certain area, creating a mini world for us to examine and admire; a mini world inside the giant world that surrounds us.
I recently acquired some glass domes and had fun playing around with different ways to create decorative displays. Here are 5 ways to do it!
1. Encapsulate your beauty products. I’ve always been a fan of putting pretty little jars of perfume and oil on display, and this is the perfect way to do it. Mix in a shiny rock and a ceramic terracotta filled with beeswax (left over from making this solid perfume), and you’ve made yourself a tiny world of beauty.
2. Display a single object. I love the idea of using a glass dome to display one single item; a dried rose from a loved one… a seashell picked up from time spent traveling. Here I turned a small drinking glass upside down and used it to display a dried piece of eucalyptus (one of my many loves) on a wooden stump.
3. Admire your jewels. Jewelry is a work of art, and it absolutely deserves to be put on display. I love the idea of putting a glass dome over a capsule of jewelry, and changing up that capsule every so often to hold different pieces that look beautiful among one another.
4. Freeze a moment in time. I’m obsessed with this bell jar I saw in the living room of two of our very own Free People girls (see their home tour!). It’s as if someone captured the beautiful moment when a butterfly peacefully landed on a pine cone. Melts my heart.
5. Make a terrarium. I’m such a lover of terrariums, which are like their own little ecosystems. Arrange some preserved moss, collected wood, and dried herbs on a shelf and top it with a glass dome for a gorgeous terrarium-like display.
Are you as in love with glass domes as I am? Tell us how you use yours!
More home decor inspiration from the BLDG 25 Blog.
Follow FP Brigette on Twitter.