The Benefits Of Oil Pulling

Post image for The Benefits Of Oil Pulling

UPDATE: This post originally ran on February 4th but wanted to share this useful beauty tip again!

Oil pulling. Have you heard of it? Would you try it? Have you tried it? I first heard of this seemingly strange practice about a year ago, and immediately I was intrigued. Pull toxins out of my system by swishing some oil around in my mouth? Count me in.

But I never actually got into it… until now. This new year seems to be a year of much newness, wouldn’t you say? And oil pulling is just one of the many new habits I’ve adopted.

So what exactly is oil pulling?

Oil pulling is an ancient Indian practice that involves swishing oil around in the mouth for about 20 minutes on the premise that this will pull toxins out of the body.

What are the benefits?

Studies show that oil pulling has excellent benefits for oral health. It can help strengthen the teeth, gums, and jaw; whiten teeth; prevent bad breath; prevent dryness of the mouth, lips, and throat; prevent mouth diseases like cavities and gingivitis; and treat soreness of the jaw. It’s also been thought that oil pulling has many benefits that extend way beyond oral health, although this has yet to be proven scientifically. Examples include reduced headaches, hangover relief, kidney function support, general pain relief, reduced insomnia, and general detoxification of the body, just to name a few.

Benefits of oil pulling

How do you do it?

First, pick your oil. Cold pressed organic sesame oil is believed to be the best for this practice, but cold pressed coconut, olive, and sunflower oils are widely used, as well.

In the morning, before you’ve eaten, drink a glass of water. Then, put about a tablespoon of oil in your mouth and swish it around, making sure to let it touch every single part of your mouth except the throat. Try not to swallow the oil, as this will reabsorb the toxins that have been pulled from your body.

Swish the oil around in your mouth for at least 5 minutes, with the recommended amount being a full 20 minutes. I like to do this while in the shower, and possibly continue for a few minutes after I get out. This way, I feel like I’m using my time wisely — and I never forget to do it.

You’ll feel the oil become foamy as it mixes with your saliva. If there gets to be too much in your mouth, spit a little bit out, and continue.

When you’re finished, spit the oil out into the toilet or the trash — avoid doing this in the sink, as the oil could solidify and clog the drain. Supposedly, if the oil turns to a yellow, you’ve done your job! The yellow color is thought to mean a substantial amount of toxins have been removed from your body. I haven’t gotten there yet, but I will!

Are there any negatives?

Nothing major that I’ve heard of! I’ve read about many people getting grossed out by the feeling or taste of oil pulling, but I can’t say I know what they mean. I’ve been using coconut oil, and I love the taste! The only other negative I could think of is the cost. Pure organic oil isn’t the cheapest to buy, and you’ll be going through bottles fairly quickly. But if you weigh the benefits, it could be worth it — that all depends on each individual situation.

Coconut oil spoon

Why should you try it?

Well, it’s up to you! Try if you’re curious… try if you’re experiencing any of the issues that this can potentially help… try if you’re looking for a use for that jar of coconut oil that’s been sitting on your shelf (although we can give you a bunch more reasons here)!

Personally, I’ve been doing this for about a week, and I really like it. It’s become part of my daily routine, and I love the way my mouth feels afterwards. I usually have dryness in my mouth, and after oil pulling I notice that it feels so much better. I plan to continue on this oil pulling journey!

How about you? Do you oil pull? Tell us about it!

Follow FP Brigette on Twitter.

Tags: , , ,

Comments

Becky Miller -February 4, 2014, 8:52AM

And I think I’ll join you on the journey… Wish there was something that simple for whole body detox.

Anonymous -February 4, 2014, 9:28AM

Sounds very interesting, can’t wait to try it.

Rita -February 4, 2014, 9:47AM

Hi, sounds great, thanks for sharing, I can’t wait to try it tomorrow…I have a question do you brush your teeth after with regular toothpaste? Thanks!

LamentingLizzie -February 4, 2014, 10:19AM

I have not tried it myself, but I work for a company that primarily produces an oil based toothpaste alternative (OraMD if you ever want to look it up) and we have a lot of customer say the oil pulling method is great. I just don’t have the patience to try it in the morning, maybe I will try it on a Sunday or something when I do not have to be anywhere.

Amie -February 4, 2014, 11:04AM

I’ve heard this technique is also used for cavity repair (for minor small cavities)… I love that it can reverse tooth decay!

Jessie -February 4, 2014, 11:17AM

I’ve been oil pulling in the mornings since Thanksgiving when I first heard of the practice! I’ll typically just do it while I’m showering so I’m not focused on how long I’ve been swishing the oil around in my mouth – otherwise I just get so tired of it!

Rita, I do brush my teeth afterwards, just because that’s what I’ve been told to do. I don’t know about anybody else though!

Kari -February 4, 2014, 11:23AM

Oil pulling is only one step of a few for overall daily mouth care in traditional Indian Ayurveda care, one still brushes their teeth, massages the gums and scraps the tongue.

Jasmine -February 4, 2014, 11:24AM

@Jessie That’s such a great idea, doing the oil pulling in the shower. Don’t know why I haven’t thought of that before. Does anyone get nauseous oil pulling? I want to do it and pull through with it but I just end having to spit it out within 5 min because I start to gag

Stephanie -February 4, 2014, 11:39AM

I’ve been oil pulling for years and nothing makes my mouth feel cleaner. I use sunflower oil and “pull” for 20 minutes while I do yoga and dishes, spit and then brush.

Lauren -February 4, 2014, 12:34PM

@stephanie- do you see any benefits besides it makes your mouth feel clean?

Jessica -February 4, 2014, 1:02PM

I’ve been oil pulling for months now with coconut oil and I love the clean feel it leaves! And to answer the question, I brush my teeth right afterwards.

Juliette Laura -February 4, 2014, 1:30PM

YES I have been dying to do this. Thank you so much for doing a post on it. Can’t wait to try!

xo,Juliette Laura

Katie -February 4, 2014, 1:31PM

I’ve tried it and it did nothing. Lots of people say that when they spit out the oil it’s brown, but it wasn’t for me. Maybe you need to smoke or something for that to happen?

You said that “Studies show that oil pulling has excellent benefits for oral health. It can help strengthen the teeth, gums, and jaw; whiten teeth; prevent bad breath; prevent dryness of the mouth, lips, and throat; prevent mouth diseases like cavities and gingivitis; and treat soreness of the jaw. ” I wasn’t about to find a single reputable study that supported it at all – it seems like one of those things to try for fun, but does it actually do any of those things? Probably not. Except for the moisturizing, it is oil after all.

If you can link to any study though, that would be very interesting to read.

Stephanie -February 4, 2014, 2:07PM

Dear Katie-
I’ve never spat out brown oil after pulling. The oil DOES do the dental things claimed in the above article because it removes plaque, which causes tooth decay, bad breath, gingivitis, etc. Plaque is a film of bacteria and it isn’t brown. While the detox/insomnia/kidney health claims are definitely unsupported, it isn’t a stretch to understand that mouthwash cleans the mouth, yes? And of course everyone’s body reacts to treatment differently.

Please find a description of a 2009 study about halfway down the page.

maria -February 4, 2014, 2:18PM

Katie,
After 20 min of swishing, the oil mixed with saliva and impurities should become creamy, whitish and have a thinner, milky, watery consistency. If you spit out too early and do not have a movement of oil in your mouth, it will preserve the original state – an oily, brownish substance.

Jasmine,
Does anyone get nauseous oil pulling?
If you start the procedure on the empty stomach, you do not get nauseous. It is very important to start oil pulling as the first thing in the morning. Later on once you get use to the process, you can incorporate more then once a day. Generally you should stay away from liquids for 1h and 3h from food to have a pleasant experience with oil pulling.

Rita –
do you brush your teeth after with regular toothpaste?
You should definitely rinse you mouth with warm salty water but the toothpaste is not necessary.

Micah -February 4, 2014, 3:59PM

I’ve done this for about a year and have noticed dramatic improvements in my skin! This also might have to do with the fact that at the same time, I tossed commercial facial cleansers and body lotions by doing the oil cleansing method and using oils as lotion. Not sure it’d work for everyone, but I’m pretty content with my outcome :)

Milka -February 4, 2014, 4:16PM

I can’t wait to try this. I’m on an oil bend. I’ve always used oils for moisturizing but never imagined so many uses for them.

Irma -February 4, 2014, 4:51PM

Trying this asap!

Love coconut oil

Irma xx

Calley -February 4, 2014, 9:28PM

I have been doing oil pulling every morning for the past few weeks. So far, I love it. I love the routine of it as it makes me feel more grounded and connected to myself. So far I have noticed whiter teeth, and I’m looking forward to seeing the benefits after doing it for a few months. I do it with coconut oil for 20 minutes, and then rinse my mouth with salt water afterwards.

Gina -February 4, 2014, 11:35PM

Is the oil suppose to be in liquid form or could you use in the solid form? Just wondering as many seem to like coconut oil which I have only found and use in the solid form. Thanks!

Nora -February 5, 2014, 1:42AM

I have been oil pulling for years, everyday, first thing in the morning on an empty stomach with coconut oil. I never heard about having to drink water first though… I wonder if that’s really necessary. Make sure to rinse with a baking soda and water afterwards to neutralize the PH level in your mouth. Thank you for writing this article.

Nora -February 5, 2014, 1:44AM

I have been oil pulling for years, everyday, first thing in the morning on an empty stomach with coconut oil. I never heard about having to drink water first though… I wonder if that’s really necessary. Make sure to rinse with baking soda and water afterwards to neutralize the PH level in your mouth. Thank you for writing this article.

Jillian -February 5, 2014, 8:48AM

I have oil pulled but wasn’t able to make a habit of it, although I’d like to. I was most put off by the swishing- until it was explained to me that the action isn’t a vigorous swishing that you would use for mouthwash. Instead, gently move the oil to all parts of your mouth and slowly strain between the front and backs of your teeth. Your mouth may tire but it shouldn’t hurt or be too difficult if you pace yourself. Doing this in the shower is the perfect time length. I use solid coconut oil and “chew” it until if soon becomes liquid.

Leslie -February 5, 2014, 10:06AM

So funny you posted this. I was at Whole Foods this weekend – and the guy in the Whole Body area thought I was NUTS when I asked about this. Thanks for explaining oil pulling for me!

bella -February 5, 2014, 8:21PM

does anyone know if you can do this at night before going to bed? just wondering ’cause i usually take showers then, thank you!

Sophie -February 6, 2014, 12:20AM

I already have the coconut oil at home that I use to mash my hair with. This is really far out I’m soo gonna try this!
Thanks!

Sophie -February 6, 2014, 12:24AM

Oops I mean “wash” not “mash” silly me! lol

Violet -February 6, 2014, 4:57PM

Sooooo strange…. I’m definitely going to try though!
v-is-for-violet.blogspot.com

Jasmine -February 6, 2014, 9:20PM

If any of you girls cam’t do the coconut oil,try an alternative like sesame oil
The texture and taste of the coconut oil makes me gag so I tried sesame oil and oil pulled for 20 min
Can’t wait to see/feel some great results.

maria -February 6, 2014, 11:22PM

Bella –

does anyone know if you can do this at night before going to bed?

Yes, absolutely! You can do it any time of the day as long as you do not eat at least 3h, and you do not drink at least 1h before. It is important to have an empty stomach otherwise you may nauseous.

———-

I love the taste of organic coconut oil but cannot stand the solid form, and heating it up before does not make sense to me. Plus the coconut oil has cooling properties comparing with the sesame oil ( frequently used in Ayurveda massage therapy. Especially in winter it is important.
I recommend organic sesame oil cold pressed, unrefined. The brand I use is Kerala. You can find it on amazon, 64floz can last for 6 months easily.

In winter, whenever I feel like a cold or flu is near, I like to add 1/2 drops of oregano oil as it has great antibacterial properties. It is super strong and you need to be very careful to try it. Otherwise it is a wonderful remedy to fight winter colds.

Staci -February 15, 2014, 2:48PM

I tried it and it definitely works! Just keep doing it for 2-3 weeks to see results.
I can also add to this topic few other oils you can easily benefit from:
sesame oil pulling – http://oilypedia.com/sesame-oil-pulling-learning-ancient-ayurvedic-technique/
coconut oil pulling – http://oilypedia.com/oil-pulling-with-coconut-oil-just-a-health-trend-or-the-effective-remedy/
olive oil pulling – http://oilypedia.com/oil-pulling-with-olive-oil/
Hope you find it helpful!

anna -February 16, 2014, 8:53PM

I started pulling oil 6 days ago and have already noticed major relief from TMJ symptoms along with toothaches & sore gums. I use coconut oil for 20 minutes as soon as I get out of bed, afterwards I rinse with warm water then brush my teeth & tongue with baking soda (I read this on a blog). The baking soda makes my mouth feel even fresher than just the oil alone! I recommend this practice, it feels great!

Nicole -February 19, 2014, 8:05PM

Very interesting. I think I will give it a try.

renae -February 21, 2014, 9:10PM

I’ve been oil pulling with cold pressed raw coconut oil for 2 months now and it’s made me feel alot healthier. also you can use coconut oil as a lip balm and deep conditioning your hair :D http://happyhealthytips.weebly.com/1/post/2014/02/look-beautiful-using-coconuts.html

Beverly -February 23, 2014, 11:31AM

I had been oil pulling before and starting again 1 week post oral surgery and bone graft… My mouth healed so fast the surgeon couldn’t believe it! Even the bone graft hardened to bone in half the time, I was told. I have X-rays to prove this! It is truly amazing, oil pulling was the only thing extra I did in addition to follow the Drs instructions. HAPPY PULLING!

Michelle -February 24, 2014, 12:33AM

If you read about oil pulling it’s pretty specific to do it on a cometely empty stomach. You shouldn’t be drinking water prior to. Also, the two recommended oils are sesame and sunflower. Peor have mainstreamed to coconut oil due to its natural antibiotic properties but it wasn’t one of the first oils tried.

I haven’t heard of people spitting out brown or yellow. It turns a white viscous color. You shouldn’t spit it in the toilet as that goes down your pipes like the sink. You should spit it in the trash when possible.

I don’t know about claims to health benefits but I do find my nasal sinuses drain like crazy after oil pulling adding to a clearer day. Otherwise, my teeth are whiter.

It’s also important to know they recommend cold pressed. The heat takes away the healing properties of the oils.

Jennifer -March 6, 2014, 12:43PM

An interesting concept with ancient roots. I’m wondering, though, where the 20 minute recommendation originated. I found an article in the Journal of Ayurveda and Integrative Medicine from 2011 that states, “A comfortable amount of fluid is retained with the mouth closed for about 3 minutes, and then gargled. It is a simple rejuvenating treatment, which, when done routinely, enhances the senses, maintains clarity, brings about a feeling of freshness, and invigorates the mind … can also benefit bad breath, dry face, dull senses, exhaustion, anorexia, loss of taste, impaired vision, sore throat, and all kapha related imbalances.” A shorter time period of swishing with the same benefits? I’m game!

brigeetta -March 8, 2014, 9:11AM

I tried oil pulling after the first post and fell in love! Best thing ever and makes my mouth feel extra clean!

Tara -March 8, 2014, 11:23AM

Sounds like I need to try this! Thanks for all the awesome comments, ladies!

Alex Salvesen -March 8, 2014, 11:25AM

I just tried it with coconut oil and my mouth already feels awesome!

Tereza -March 8, 2014, 1:11PM

I’ve read other’s experiences with oil pulling and they’ve been super positive! Definitely need to give this a try!

Melinda -March 8, 2014, 4:50PM

Hi, I have problems with my throat and sinuses and I find it does help a lot. The problem I get is a de- toxining feeling in my blood. I get aches and pains and feel like I am getting a cold. When I forget to do it and then start again this is when I feel terrible but then I come good ,my throat is better, I can breath better and have more energy.

Erin -March 8, 2014, 6:05PM

I started oil pulling for the first time today. I made it about 15 minutes before I accidentally swallowed a tiny bit and started gagging…lol. Had to spit it out at that point. Over all not to bad of an experience though. I will definitely continue oil pulling.

XOXo,
Erin

Krystal -March 8, 2014, 8:40PM

Could I use cold pressed jojoba oil?
I use it for everything, so if I could use it for that, then that’s another thing my one and only oil can do :)

Patty -March 8, 2014, 8:54PM

I’m still not clear as to whether folks are using the cold, hard, coconut oil. Do you just pop a tablespoon into your mouth and work it until it softens and becomes liquid? I’m anxious to try oil pulling. Of it helps my TMJ that would be a true blessing!

simi -March 8, 2014, 9:51PM

Can i do it with mustard oil or a regular sunflower cooking oil?

simi -March 8, 2014, 10:01PM

I wd appreciate if somebody suggests a like home remedy for toothache, bleeding gums and weakening teeth.

Kayla -March 8, 2014, 11:05PM

I am noticing that my nose was less stuffy after pulling, my gums are bleeding less, and my teeth aren’t as sensitive. I never had gum problems until I was pregnant so I am hoping this helps over time!

Sarah Beatrice -March 8, 2014, 11:09PM

I am curious: Do you brush your teeth before or after?

Carmen -March 8, 2014, 11:59PM

I’ve read that drinking lots of water aids the detoxification process by helping the body flush out the toxins flooding into your blood stream and that it’s actually the toxins flooding into the blood stream that makes us feel sick when detoxing . So drinking lots of water is essential . I’ve also read that a great way to detox the whole body is to soak in a warm bath with a cup of Epsom salts for 20 mins 3 times a week but if it’s new to you you should start at 5 mins 3 times a week . So maybe people that are starting should start at 5 mins a day and work up to 20 mins ? Detoxing can make you feel pretty sick which can be pretty discouraging but if you push through the benefits are amazing .

Karla -March 9, 2014, 11:30AM

Are there any reputable scientific articles that can support the claim that oil pulling whitens teeth and strengthens gum, teeth and jaws (can jaws be strenghtened?). As a dentist I must interject and say that oil pulling will NOT repair small cavities nor will it improve any TMD symptoms you will have (unless by placebo effect?). Please continue to use ADA approved toothpaste with fluoride. There are many articles on the benefits of fluoride with respect to caries control and prevention. As far as TMD, I’ll put it this way, would you rub coconut oil on a broken arm and expect it to be healed?

Karla -March 9, 2014, 11:37AM

Simi- if you are experiencing toothaches, bleeding gums and are noticing that your teeth are breaking, I think it is time you pay a visit to your dentist. Pain medications can serve to alleviate symptoms but they by no means eliminate the problem. By the time some of my patients come in seeking help with their teeth it is too late and often come in when they are in severe pain–sometimes with significant swelling (a sign of a bad infection). Many times a root canal or extraction could have been avoided if the problem was addressed sooner. I understand going to the dentist can be a less than pleasant experience but we are here to help!

Anonymous -March 9, 2014, 2:37PM

Does anyone know more about pulling with olive oil? I’m allergic to coconut and different seeds so that would be my only option. Thanks!

anon -March 9, 2014, 2:54PM

Has anyone tried pulling with maracuja or jojoba oil?

Marie -March 9, 2014, 5:45PM

I feel oil pulling has been more talked about lately. I have heard of this practice too, awhile ago and just yesterday I decided to try it out. I use organic cold pressed coconut oil. I already see my teeth getting more white just from 2 days of doing this. It’s crazy, I’m addicted already haha. I just use a tsp and swish it around for 20 mins. It makes my teeth feel really clean and I canny wait to see what else this practice will do over time :)

Beka -March 9, 2014, 11:43PM

Anon from March 9th, I wouldn’t try oil pulling with maracuja or jojoba oil. Maracuja oil is not edible, & jojoba oil is edible but not digestible, meaning it will make you sick. Because it is very easy to accidentally swallow the oil, I would stick with safe & edible varieties like olive, coconut, or sesame.

Alex -March 11, 2014, 2:44AM

I just tried this tonight for the first time and thought it was pretty cool! The oil turned out a tiny bit yellow so that’s good right? I’m excited to fit it into my routine and see how it benefits me. I’ve been dying to find an alternative to mouthwash that tastes like chemicals. <3

Amanda -March 11, 2014, 12:32PM

I have read over a dozen articles about oil pulling and they all say to do it right away in the morning on an empty stomach. However, none of them say anything about when you SHOULD eat. Obviously, this means I have to eat sometime after. But do I need to wait to eat or can I go eat right away? Also, a lot of the articles mention brushing your teeth right after you OP, so does that mean you have to brush your teeth before you eat breakfast? Or are these people just skipping breakfast? ….because skipping breakfast is not an option for me.

carol -March 11, 2014, 11:48PM

I would like to know what the coconut oil is suppose to look like after 20 min and you spit it out. Ive done it 3x and it comes out white.

marché B2B libre -March 13, 2014, 6:03AM

Gaga

Anonymous -March 16, 2014, 7:45PM

I have been pulling for 3 years, daily. I used to have asthma caused by seasonal allergies, and suffered miserably. Since I started using organic cold pressed sesame oil I have been asthma free. I haven’t had to use my inhaler for 3 years.

dee -March 23, 2014, 3:01PM

it is my second time oil pulling with extra virgin olive oil and it’s wonderful.
My sinuses feel clear and my dry skin has improved Oops and my teeth are pearly WHITE xxxx.

Megan -March 24, 2014, 2:00AM

I’m very interested in this as I hate taking medication. Can’t wait to try! Thanks for the post.

xo,
Megan

Carla -March 25, 2014, 4:22AM

All I have is Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, will that work??

Chrissy -March 25, 2014, 6:44PM

I have been oil pulling for about a week now with coconut oil. I use organic virgin unrefined. It is solid but if you put it under your tongue and then work it a bit it is liquid in just seconds. I love the way my teeth feel when I am done. I take a lot of pain medications and because of that I have a super dry mouth. I have ended up wih multiple cavities, broken teeth and the start of gum disease. My gums are already getting better since starting this and my mouth isnt dry much at all. I also use the oil as a facial moisturizer, for shaving my legs and I use it to moisturize my entire body. Oh and I use it as a hair moisturizer and I use a tiny bit after styling to keep hair shiny with less fly aways. Have fun pulling…..you wont regret it!

Scooper -March 31, 2014, 9:05PM

Did it for the first time today after reading it would help with tooth aches. I used an herbal oil I take internally whenever I feel a sore throat coming on. At first I wanted to gag, but after the full 20 mins. spit out yellowish brown colored oil. It freaked me out. Thanks for letting me know it was okay..

lynn -April 6, 2014, 12:43PM

Ok I’ve been contemplating on doing this for couple of months. I have some major dental issues. No dental insurance. So I try to “fix” the problem my self until I see I have to go to the dentist. I also have a “phobia” of dental work. Bad experiences as a child. I have a slightly infected bottom tooth an a rootcanal tooth with a crown over it. It started hurting 3 yrs later! I was told (& spent $2,000!) the tooth was dead now. Apparently NOT!! I have a off/on toothache fr that tooth! So, Im gonna try oil pulling an see if I can get to feeling better. Also, have very bad breath an dry mouth. I’ve already “swished” this morn for 15min with liquefied coconut oil (organic). Then gargled with warm water an brushed. We’ll see!! I hope it helps!! Thanks for this post! Oh, I also use it in a sugar/lemon body scrub an its awesome!!

jessica -April 14, 2014, 1:23PM

I started oil pulling about a month ago… the first time, i used organic olive oil… yuck, didn’t last 5 mins. that put me off, then i tried the coconut oil, put a solid spoonful in my mouth and let it melt, gently swish, i like to set a timer so i know its been long enough. its great, i luv it now & my teeth are getting whiter!! hopefully it helps the other dental issues i have. I started oil pulling because i used to get terrible canker sores on my tongue, i would get several and they stayed for days. really very irritating and painful. haven’t had a canker sore since i’ve started pulling!!!

Tina -April 14, 2014, 6:36PM

Definatilily going to try thanks for posting all the great info!!!

fawn -April 15, 2014, 3:55PM

It’s been the only thing that has helped my tooth sensitivity after pregnancy. I also suspect it clears my face. Has anyone else noticed this?

Tina S -April 17, 2014, 9:27AM

I started pulling – on day 4 now. My mouth feels cleaner, my teeth a little smoother and I am pulling mucus out of my head a little each day. All I have is flax seed oil, so that is what I am using. I read the bottle and all it says is “virgin” nothing about cold pressed or organic. I have a feeling I am just wasting my time with this oil, but I am going to use it until I can find the right sesame and coconut oil. My town is very small and I am having a tough time finding it. I will probably just order online. But I wanted to say that castor oil has been a life saver in this house!! Not for pulling but for external use. I broke my leg 10 weeks ago and it damaged a nerve called the peronial nerve – I have lost all feeling from on the outside of my leg mid shin to the tips of my toes. For 6 weeks I had horrible shooting pain that felt like electrical shocks. I soaked a rag in castor oil and wrapped it around my foot and leg every night – within 3 days no more “shocks” only tingles. It has been 4 weeks and while I still have the tingles and outside numbness the major pain in gone. I have been left with foot drop or drop foot as a result and read on some testimonials that oil pulling has helped with nerve damage and drop foot. I am not going to be overly disappointed if this proves not to be true, but I will pray for a miracle. I do not want surgery because I have read many people state that the surgery did not work for them.

Back to the castor oil … My daughter is 25 weeks pregnant. Around week 18 she started to get a rash on the core of her body. It was red, raised and itchy. The doctor was concerned and told her to use cortizone and a prescription cream – due to pregnancy, it was a low dose. She used it for 2 weeks until the tube was empty and saw no improvement, it only got worse and spread on her chest and down to her thighs. Meanwhile, I had used the castor oil on a couple pimples I had and they cleared right up. I had my daughter use the castor oil on her rash and within a day it started working. In 6 days the entire rash was GONE!! SHE HAS BEEN RASH FREE EVER SINCE!

My son got 2 pimples on his face. I made him dab a little castor oil on them. the next morning you could barely see them and the next day gone!

I am convinced that oils have healing properties and will keep on with the pulling. I am going to a bigger city this weekend to look for some good oil!!!

The anti fungal soap -April 18, 2014, 2:14AM

Thanks for sharing… I had a great reading time.. Most interesting is perhaps the ability of oil to cleanse out harmful bacteria, as well as reduce fungal overgrowth.

Elle -April 20, 2014, 3:06AM

Great article. The link I pasted (http://oilpulling.com/index.htm) is very detailed if anyone would like to read about OP and its history/benefits/methods. I too was skeptical, no I wasn’t… Because it just seems natural to me to be able to use God’s creations (food, oil, etc…) to restore our bodies (which are not man made) and remove impurities in this way. I have been OP with organic sesame oil for maybe a year off and on, but I can tell you that when I am consistent, the benefits are priceless. I sleep deeper but shorter and I do not need my alarm clock, my monthly seems to be on track without birth control, my teeth feel very clean, and absolutely no morning breath at all. I realize this means nothing to some – but I am a chronic sleeper, normally fatigue, who never had a normal cycle, and I sometimes have a bit of insomnia. I have noticed a huge difference with all of the above since OP. In fact – I’ve not been back on birth control since. I’ve made no other significant changes – because I am too lazy for that, so I know the OP is doing something. I do bathe in celtic sea salt once a week – which leaves my skin feeling like butter by the way- but I have definitely not been consistent with that… Anyway – I am sold on OP. God Bless. :)

Anne -April 24, 2014, 12:46PM

If you do oil pulling in morning do you just brush your teeth with regular toothpaste at night.
I find baking soda makes my teeth sensitive If I use it as a toothpaste. Thanks for any suggestions.

Julie -May 1, 2014, 3:05PM

I have been oil pulling for one month and I LOVE IT!!! My mouth and teeth have never felt cleaner and whiter. My skin on my face has a shiny glow and no more blackheads on my nose. I am sleeping much better and sounder. My sinus headache that I get with spring allergies is gone. I haven’t taken any advil for a month….YAAA! I also noticed that my brown spots on my hands are fading…another PLUS!!!! I no longer have sugar cravings and have a “clear head feeling” . I will contiue to do this forever…..LOVE YOUR ARTICLE.

norma -May 6, 2014, 6:10PM

Do you brush your teeth with regular toothpaste after oil pulling?

Anonymous -May 11, 2014, 10:30PM

I had a sore in my mouth that would not go away and after only 2 days of oil pulling it’s gone. I think I’ll keep doing this, thanks for putting this on Pintrest!

Jonathan -May 16, 2014, 8:08AM

I love all the personal testimonials but does the author of this article have any evidence besides a meme to back up the claims of oil pulling? Maybe an interview with an oil pulling expert in which I could evaluate his/her credentials or links to articles from a reputable medical or scientific journal proving the benefits of oil pulling would be nice. Has anyone ever analyzed the oil pre and post pull to prove toxins have been removed? Has anyone ever had an independent dental professional perform before and after dental exams to prove that teeth really have whitened? If not, I would propose the author utilize the GI tract by maximizing more surface area. This can be done by using the colon. I propose that the author use a oil used routinely for oil pulling and use it as an enema. For shaking a mild to moderate twerk should suffice for 15-20 minutes.

Tori -May 20, 2014, 2:05PM

This is awesome, thank you so much for sharing! I’ll be including your post in a summary article on my blog at http://www.eatdrinkandbeskinny.com next week! — Cheers!

Michele -May 24, 2014, 1:58AM

Alex–I rinse with an essential oil in some water every night. It replaces mouthwash, is 100 percent organic, and kills bacteria in the mouth. Let me know if you want to know more about it. My email is perri_michele@yahoo.com.

Lisa -May 26, 2014, 11:30PM

Hi All –

I have definitely raved about oil pulling.
One thing I noticed is that I had no side effects when I initially started oil pulling. Due to some vacationing and being lazy I have stopped a few times. The past few returns have been frustrating in that concurrently with oil pulling for a few days I ended up with canker sores – which are rare for me. Happened three separate times. Perhaps the pulling exacerbated something that I hadn’t noticed so it would run it’s course…but that paired with sore throats was upsetting! I learned it’s a good idea to gargle with salt water after to exfoliate any post nasal drip that occurs while pulling. It’s good that sinuses drain

and the past two times I returned to it for more than I few days – I ended up with a few canker sores in my mouth and what appeared to be a bit of oral thrush. I read that oil pulling helps cure thrush so, this makes no sense.

betsy -June 8, 2014, 9:25AM

Finally found an oil that does not make me gag. Cold pressed pecan oil. Benefits are real.

Heather -June 17, 2014, 12:46AM

I’ve been told that those with amalgam fillings should not try oil pulling because the mercury on the fillings can leach out and make you very sick. Any truth to this?

Melissa -June 21, 2014, 11:24AM

I tried this for the first time today. I used SOLID coconut oil. I noticed that there were a lot of questions about using this. Most of it melted quickly, and it was totally liquid after about 3 minutes.

I was nervous about trying it, since I have a pretty strong gag reflex, but it was fine. It was easy to get to 20 minutes, although I may decrease the amount (I use 1tbsp) next time, because it seemed like a lot. I’m interested in seeing if I experience any health benefits, but for now, my teeth feel really clean and smooth.

scrap gold pennyweight -June 24, 2014, 10:17PM

Quality articles is the crucial to interest the viewers to visit
the website, that’s what this website is providing.

Barbara Mayes -July 8, 2014, 6:31PM

I do, and I like the benefits, better oral health, whiter teeth and even clears my sinus’s!

Bridget -July 11, 2014, 4:13PM

Tried OP last night and again this morning using organic coconut oil. Was able to swish for the full 20 minutes both times. It’s true what they say, you don’t have to treat it like a mouthwash, slow and steady seemed to be the key. This morning on my drive in I noticed my throat seemed much less dry. Not sure if that is even possible after only having done this twice, but time will tell. Decided to give this a full 30 day try to see if the pain in a lower tooth I have will go away. Have regularly gone to the dentist every 6 months and have very healthy, good teeth except for this one area. I’ve had x-rays and exams done to rule out a fracture of any kind – everything checks out so my dentist hasn’t been able to do anything about it. Am hoping this might help alleviate any discomfort from that tooth considering that that the dentist wasn’t able to find anything wrong.

Organic Fiji -July 22, 2014, 9:40PM

Love this! Coconut Oil is so beneficial to your beauty, skin, face, hair, and overall health!
Oil pulling is very common and is a great way to strengthen your oral health.

Looking for some USDA certified organic cold pressed coconut oil or other coconut oil products? Check out http://www.organicfiji.com for some of the best :)

Mona -September 6, 2014, 10:02AM

Just bought my first jar of coconut oil and i’m going to try it tomorrow.
After you used it Brigitte.. when do you have your breakfast? Or when do you brush your teeth?

Dedee -September 24, 2014, 7:23AM

A friend’s dental hygienist noticed her teeth are whiter & asked what she’s been doing. Oil pulling. I tried it & after several months, 3 people said my teeth are whiter. Even if Listerine works to kill germs, it doesn’t whiten your teeth. And bleaching is hard on the enamel. People who rinse with salt water afterwards get the benefit of killing germs. I use Sunflower oil. I could only do 2 minutes when I first started. Figured out you don’t have to use a whole tablespoon; just use whatever sits comfortably in your mouth (I have a small mouth!).