DIY Natural Eye Shadow

Post image for DIY Natural Eye Shadow

This post comes from our contributor FP Naomi.

Most of my friends will be the first to tell you that I don’t wear makeup. I tend to go the natural route, but recently something has come over me. Perhaps it’s this winter weather – my pale skin, that sluggish feeling. I’ve wanted a little shimmer across my lids. And if I’m going to do it, I’m going to do it right. Since our skin absorbs up to 100% of what we put on it, I’d rather stay away from unpronounceable ingredients and chemicals. I turned, instead, to my kitchen cupboards and got experimenting.

I came up with a lovely golden brown hue that makes my eyes pop just enough. I feel a little more put together and presentable each time I swoop it across my lids. If that’s not the easiest winter pick-me-up, I don’t know what is. So, here’s how to make the all-natural eye shadow for yourself.

diy natural eyeshadow

Ingredients:

1/2 Tsp Natural Shea Butter (helps shadow cling to your lids so that it lasts longer, also moisturizes!)

3/4 Tsp Cacao Powder

1/4-3/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder (add more if you want a golden hue, less if you want a soft brown)

½ Tsp Arrowroot Powder (adds a nice sheen to the shadow)

Directions:

1. Mix together cacao, turmeric, and arrow root.
  2. Soften shea butter in the microwave for 45 seconds.
  3. Stir the softened shea into the powder mixture. Using the back of a utensil, smush it around until everything is integrated.
  4. Pour your mixture into a sealable container, and start using.

diy natural eyeshadow

Check out Naomi’s blog Numie Abbot.

Tags: , , ,

Comments

Lauren -March 14, 2014, 7:30AM

This is a fantastic idea and *just* what I’ve been looking for lately.
Thanks so much!

(And it’s Vegan! A+, man!!!)

Juliette Laura -March 14, 2014, 8:20AM

Oh wow this is so so cool! I have never thought of making my own eye shadow. Def going to try it!

marissa l -March 14, 2014, 8:32AM

This is so cute, thanks for sharing!

Erika -March 14, 2014, 1:49PM

I was at Sephora last night and was thinking of ideas to make my own bronzer! I’m going to try using these ingredients, THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Jaqueline -March 16, 2014, 10:49AM

Any ideas how this will last on your skin longer? I love natural ingredients, but from my experience they will not stay on your skin for a full day. Let me know your thoughts!

dawn -March 24, 2014, 3:26AM

Can you use cocoa powder? Or is it specifically cacao powder? Or is it the same thing? :)

Sydney -April 22, 2014, 4:39PM

Can the spices be dry sautéed rather than microwaved? I don’t have a microwave, but would like to try this route. If anyone has done this, how long would you recommend?

Jeanette -April 22, 2014, 5:33PM

Are you sure of the safety of these ingredients on the eye lids? Being a pharmacist, I know from my training and dealing with natural products, that the eyelids are very thin and can absorb ingredients through the lid. Also, is there any information on what happens if any of these ingredients get in your eye? Just because it is natural, does not mean it’s safe for the eye area.