DIY Surf Wax Candles

Post image for DIY Surf Wax Candles

The smell of surf wax reminds me of home. My dad taught my brother and I how to surf at a very young age, and surfing has been something that has bonded my family for as long as I can remember.

Although it has many smells, the one that most people get reminded of when they smell surf wax is the beach. It’s sweet like coconut, and smells like an afternoon of sunny rays, sand and sea salt. This is a smell that will never, ever get old to me, so I wanted to make something that would allow my house to smell like summertime on the shore all year round: DIY surf wax candles.

surf wax candle supplies

What you need:

Surf Wax (3 bars per one medium sized candle)

Double Broiler (See how to make one here)

Wood Skewers

Candle Wicks (you can find these at any craft store)

Candle Vessel

surf wax candle containers

I found some cute little ceramic bowls at a thrift store and decided to use those as my candle vessels. A little glass dish will work great too.

surfboard and shoes

First, find a surfboard with old wax on it. If you don’t own one or have access to one, you can always use fresh surf wax.

You can buy surf wax at any surf shop, or hereMr. Zog’s and Sticky Bumps are pretty common brands. Either one smells great and has a variety of color options.

My boards are back in Florida, but my uncle lives close by and he had one on deck that I could use.

scrape the wax

Begin scraping off wax until you have enough that fills up your vessel, plus some more. The wax will melt down, so you definitely will need more than you think!

double broiler

After you have acquired all your wax, make a double broiler and begin melting it down. If you chose to purchase surf wax, I suggest slicing it up into smaller chunks as it will be easier to melt. Use your wooden skewers to constantly stir the wax until it has melted down completely. The first candle I made was used with leftover wax which turned to a blue-grey color. The second and third one I made with newly purchased wax.

wax in vessel

Once all of the wax is melted, place a candle wick in the center of the vessel and slowly pour the wax into the vessel, filling it up about 2/3rd of  the way. Hold the wick in place until the wax begins to re-set.

candle close

Once the wax has cooled and set, you are finished! Light away and smell the shore :)

More DIY ideas from the BLDG 25 Blog.

Follow FP Jana on Twitter.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Comments

Megan -March 25, 2014, 9:15AM

I actually bought surf wax last summer when I was in Florida with the intentions of making a candle. But it’s still sitting in a bag with seashells that I found. I like the random vessels you used.

Michaela Jean -March 25, 2014, 11:03AM

This is seriously the best DIY I have ever seen. I can’t wait to try this, I love the smell of Sticky Bumps.

xo

Michaela

Juliette Laura -March 25, 2014, 11:49AM

Okay so fun for summer!!

Taylor -March 25, 2014, 1:57PM

such a great idea that I’ve never thought of! Surf wax reminds me of Summer at the beach! totally trying this!
xx
~Taylor

Krystal -March 25, 2014, 8:51PM

These are so cute and would look lovely in any room! I have to try to make one! Thank you for sharing!

Krystal | http://www.moorekrystal.wordpress.com

Tereza -March 26, 2014, 3:38AM

Love this beach-life inspired craft. Perfect gift too!

KJH -March 26, 2014, 5:54AM

I really like this idea – I had my first surf experience last summer and can’t wait to try it again. Reminding myself of the seashoresurf smell will just about get me through to summer! Thanks for sharing.

Crista -March 27, 2014, 2:14PM

That’s totally rad.

Alana -April 9, 2014, 6:08PM

We tried this at home using sticky bumps wax, but the candles don’t burn very well…the wax itself catches fire :( thinking it may be due to the petroleum jelly in the surf wax.

Julia -May 7, 2014, 6:48AM

Great stuffs…Lovely post which you have shared with people. Just gone through your post and the ideas which you have mentioned in post, awesome. Thanks for such a lovely post. Keep going…

Mariah -May 9, 2014, 7:51PM

Tried making this with cool water sticky bumps and ended up with HUGE flames! The entire surface of the wax caught fire and made like 6″ flames. Don’t use sticky bumps. Or just don’t light it. Very dangerous.

Lucy -August 28, 2014, 12:08PM

Oh wow these look really cool! I just bought my first house and I am getting into the DIY mindset forbathroom accessories. I love these!