Sea Salt Detox Bath

Post image for Sea Salt Detox Bath

It’s rare that I will ever take a bath as I’m much more of a shower person, but when I crave one, I crave nothing more. After a long day on your feet, or when it’s blistering cold outside, to soak in warm water is a gift to the body. Baths serve many purposes, but adding in a few extra touches can turn them into a beneficial treatment that detoxes and relaxes all in one. All you need are a few common ingredients.

salt pouring

Epsom Salt: Epsom Salt is hydrated magnesium sulfate. Most of us are deficient in magnesium. If you soak in it…there’s an automatic boost right there. Magnesium helps us to regulate enzymes, organize bodily functions, and it is easily absorbed through the skin.

Sea Salt: Sea salt is an alkaline that will help lower acidity in the body. It also contains potassium, and helps the body absorb it better from other foods. Potassium helps to prevent muscles spasms, cramps and pains. People with athletic injuries often turn to salt baths to help ease them of stress and pain.

Baking Soda: When baking soda is added to a bath, it helps to make skin feel softer than ever. This addition is great when our skin is dry and cracked from cold temperatures. Using baking soda is a good substitute to store bought bathing products.

sea salt ingredients

To make a sea salt bath, all you need to do is combine the three listed ingredients above and pour them into the tub as it starts to fill. The running water will help to circulate the mixture, but make sure to give it a good stir before stepping in.

You need:

1/4 cup epsom salt

1/4 cup sea salt

1/4 cup baking soda

You can also add essential oil to the bath if you like. I like to add in a few drops of lavender to give it a nice and relaxing scent.

salt

This mixture will work together to help get your body feeling great. The warm water will open up your pores and allow the ingredients to better soak into the skin, all while helping to draw out any unwanted toxins in the body and boosting your immune system. I normally soak for 30-40 minutes.

closing image

It’s so simple to package these ingredients up in a little jar and give as a gift to someone. It’s cheap, easy to do, and works wonders.

Enjoy!

More natural beauty products from the BLDG 25 Blog.

Follow FP Jana on Twitter.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Comments

Ella Wild -March 27, 2014, 7:46AM

Sometimes i think you guys at FP are mind readers. I’ve been having a crazy couple weeks with work and was thinking about the ocean. taking the drive 12 hour dive to get to some sun, sand and saltwater on my skin.
Smell like a mermaid for awhile. i’m going to start my day with this and see if it improves my mood, thanks bunch

Ella Wild xoxox
Visit me at : http://www.etsy.com/shop/HeartJewelryAlways
or : http://www.pinterest.com/HJAellawild/

Shivani -March 27, 2014, 8:16AM

nb – baking soda isn’t chemical free, it IS a chemical (baking soda = sodium bicarbonate). That’s not to say it’s inherently bad, but everything is made up of chemicals in some way!

LamentingLizzie -March 27, 2014, 9:14AM

I love salt baths, though, like you I mostly shower. But sometimes in the dead of winter and after a hard night at the ballet studio, there is nothing like a piping hot salt bath. I swear it sinks into your heart.

fp jana -March 27, 2014, 9:41AM

Thanks for the tip, Shivani

erika -March 27, 2014, 2:17PM

Add Aloe powder instead of baking soda. It is the best and can be bought from an apothecary. You only need a little bit as it is very concentrated. I also add sea kelp powder.

{freespirited} -March 27, 2014, 3:28PM

I’m so trying this!

{freespirited} -March 27, 2014, 3:28PM

This sounds so relaxing! Thanks so much! Love this!

Krystal -March 27, 2014, 8:43PM

I have actually done this before in high school after a soccer game. It worked really well but I had forgotten about it so thank you for sharing!

Krystal | http://www.moorekrystal.wordpress.com

D -March 30, 2014, 9:34PM

Love all of your DIYs.

Would you be so kind as to tell me where you purchase all of those adorable glass bottles?

Thanks!

my beauty naturally -April 1, 2014, 2:13AM

wow this is superb, never heard about the advantages of salts can be used in the bath .. thanks for sharing :-)

Sabrina -April 2, 2014, 11:10PM

I love this blog! I was wondering if you could do post on how to naturally treat/remove blackheads? I’ve been struggling with them a lot lately and don’t want to put any chemicals on my skin just yet…thanks!

renae -April 3, 2014, 4:19AM

While i have this detoxing bath i will also hydrate my dry and brittle hair with a homemade coconut oil,conditioner and honey hair repair treatment like this girl does here on you tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIXvtiYjL2E

Sherri -June 3, 2014, 5:33AM

This sounds like heaven… Thanks for the recipe!

elizabethportman -August 7, 2014, 5:05AM

Thanks, son had numerous X-ray’s last week, is it too late to detox?