Stay inspired and dont miss a thing. Weekly updates from BLDG 25

The Right Sunglasses For Your Face Shape

Post image for The Right Sunglasses For Your Face Shape

Sunglasses have the ability to add a cool element to any look — and this season we’re really excited about all of the new styles on our site. Something that has always intrigued me, though, is the fact that a pair of sunglasses that works really well on one person can end up looking totally out of place on another. To help solve this silly little issue, Jana and I turned to our stylists to help us figure out how to choose the best pair of sunglasses based on face shape. The key: It’s all about balance!

Round faces work best with angular sunglasses, as these angles help to balance out the spherical shape. The oversized Abbey Road Sunglasses look like they were made for Alyssa.

Round face, angular sunglasses

When it comes to sunglasses, those with oval-shaped faces are the luckiest of all! Because of the natural balance created by an oval shape, basically any shape of sunglasses will do! We’re in love with Rounders Sunglass, which look super cool on our graphic designer Jenny.

jenny rounders

jenny glasses

Just as angular sunglasses work on round faces, round sunglasses are meant for square faces! Jillian looks incredible in the Freya Sunglasses, with their unique wrap frames and gold touches.

Square face, round sunglasses

Cat-eye sunglasses are another kind that work wonderfully for those with oval-shaped faces. We love how the Love Story Sunglasses look on Colby, who just so happened to have done her makeup in the shape of a cat eye, too!

Oval face, cat-eye sunglasses

If you have a heart-shaped face, Aviators are a prime choice for you. Their rounded edges help to move the focus downward on the face, balancing out the look overall. The Apres Ski Aviators work perfectly for our assistant buyer Kate.

Heart face, aviators

Follow FP Brigette and FP Jana on Twitter.

Tags: , , ,

Tiffany -March 13, 2014, 11:54AM

What a great post, I know we’ve all been in the store trying to figure out which look best. I’ll always be an aviator gal! Xx, Tiffany { }

B. -March 13, 2014, 12:20PM

I find it so difficult to define my face shape. Even with those guidelines I’m still confused.

Breathe Me

Juliette Laura -March 13, 2014, 12:42PM

Oh this is so so perfect! I actually lost all of my sunglasses last summer (like actually all four pairs, I could win an award for how losing the most pairs of sunglasses haha) so I am definitely going to use this guide and get some fp sunnies!

Taylor -March 13, 2014, 1:09PM

This is great! I always have THE most difficult time picking out sunglasses…my face is so round.
Thank you for this!

Joanna -March 13, 2014, 1:28PM

Definitely need to get myself some Harry Potter glasses now for my square face! Very excited hahaxx

Susan Jizba -March 13, 2014, 3:00PM

Such gorgeous looks on such gorgeously real people! I’m also very fascinated with shape and style and how the same pair of sunglasses can work wonderfully one some, and not on others. The great thing is that there IS a pair for everyone, you just need to find what works for you. Thank you for sharing!

lara jane -March 13, 2014, 11:10PM

These girls are all stunningly beautiful but you’ve gotten some of their face shapes wrong.

And hearts (she isn’t one) should never wear aviators as they pull the face down. Hearts look better in butterfly or cat eye styles to draw the eye up and away from a pointy chin. (<< I only know this because I have one. :/ )

Mackenzie Mancuso -March 14, 2014, 2:40AM

Totally buying the pair for the circle face when I get the money! Thanks for this!

x Kenzie

Kristen -March 14, 2014, 3:55PM

i have a heart-shaped face, and i find that the aviator style actually looks terrible! the bottom of the frames hit my high cheekbones rather than hanging casually over them, causing the sunglasses to ‘lift off’ a little… what frames are second-best for heart-shaped faces? heeeelp :3

Maya Srkalovic -March 16, 2014, 3:04PM

This is a great post! I love it. As an oval-face, I have always struggled figuring out which sunglasses fit me the best. I always knew oval-faces work for almost all styles, yet I can not find a style to stick with! I’ve done just about everything when it comes to sunglasses. From aviators, to wayfarers, to clubmasters. I’ve always wanted to be adventurous and buy round sunglasses, but I am scared they will not work with my face shape. This blog post gave me a new sense of confidence and I will definitely try out new styles of sunglasses. I am thinking about trying these out, Thoughts?