Open Call: Vote For The Finalists!

Post image for Open Call: Vote For The Finalists!

As you may have heard by now, Free People is partnering with artist management company Jed Root and IMG Models to search for creative talent from across the country to be a part of our June e-Catalog! Models, photographers, and stylists from across the country applied online, and we also had an awesome event last weekend in New York City where we got to meet some applicants in person (watch a video from the event below, with special guest judge Erin Wasson!). We have gone through all of the applications and narrowed down the submissions to some amazing finalists. Now, we need your help! Read on to see the finalists and place your vote – or, you can vote on Instagram by hearting your favorites! Simply click on the hashtags below.

One winner from each category will be selected to be flown to New York City sometime between May 4 – May 14 to work with the Free People team to produce the June e-Catalog. Each winner will also receive personal mentoring from either a Jed Root or IMG models agent.

We will be contacting the winners by Monday April 14th! Good luck to our finalists, and thank you everyone who submitted applications!

Model Finalists

Jill Mason

Katrina Chan

Jennica Gray

Alexandria Patelski

Or, heart your favorite on Instagram: @fpopencallstylist

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Comments

Cary -April 4, 2014, 1:25PM

Why are they all Caucasian finalists? Boho style is cultural, so wouldn’t you want more culture in your models?

Lindsey -April 4, 2014, 1:31PM

lol I’m flailing around in the video

annette -April 4, 2014, 2:12PM

yeah, :( I feel there is not much variety in the finalists. they look very much the same…all very pretty, but im a little disappointed I expect more choices when I read we could vote on the finalists.

Anonymous -April 4, 2014, 2:24PM

come on people – there are different cultures to represent – it’s 2014!

anonymous -April 4, 2014, 2:45PM

Theres hardly any color in these finalists…

Jenna -April 4, 2014, 2:47PM

Lacking a bit of multiculturalism

Christine -April 4, 2014, 2:50PM

Ah, I wanted so much to enter the competition but got sick. The finalists all look like worthy winners though, good luck!

midori -April 4, 2014, 2:59PM

Emmanuel Rosario’s work is just amazing!!!! Great discovery of the day that will go directly to my Obsessions!
thanks FP!

cara -April 4, 2014, 3:20PM

that shot of Natalie Suarez is from Natalie Off Duty, styled by her…and doesn’t mention her as stylist?!

Allie -April 4, 2014, 3:32PM

I think my picture I submitted was great! These photos seem so boring. They need a model with curly hair! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=767212744349&set=pcb.767212918999&type=1&theater

Francesca -April 4, 2014, 3:57PM

More skinny white women for FP models, shocking.

Tod -April 4, 2014, 7:01PM

Loved every minute of doing this contest
Lets do it again!!

Tod -April 4, 2014, 7:48PM

Had time to look it over again. The models were all really weak, no on the skinny Kimbra and spaces between your teeth was so last year.

Nicole -April 4, 2014, 9:22PM

Very serious lack of diversity. Free (white with straight hair) People. Just saying…

teetee -April 4, 2014, 9:38PM

yea i didnt want to seem like that “angry black woman” but it’s disheartening to be a fan of your clothes and blog and have never seen any representation of a black woman.

teetee -April 4, 2014, 9:39PM

i wanted to try-out but i knew it would be a huge waste of time because im not white

Megan -April 5, 2014, 12:21AM

Free People has shown love for every single race in this world. http://blog.freepeople.com/2014/01/free-people-models-duty-24/ here’s a link that proves this. I think it’s just so awesome in general for a company such as this to give their fans the opportunity to showcase their style and love for all things boho and most of all their talent

Lindsay -April 5, 2014, 1:43AM

I think they’re all beautiful. I’m glad we were given this opportunity and I hope you guys do it again soon! I agree that there is a lack of diversity in this specific contest, but not in Free People as a whole.

dani -April 5, 2014, 9:46AM

cara is right, that shot of natalie Suarez was NOT styled by Rebecca flam…natalie and her sister Dylana styled it.

Lizzy -April 5, 2014, 9:48AM

Please – let us not have more angry black women complaining yet again.

Jessica -April 5, 2014, 11:39AM

I’m sorry, I just have to say that I’m not inspired or thrilled by the finalists. Disappointed by the lack of creativity.

Anon -April 5, 2014, 5:16PM

More FP models of the same type (white, very skinny, straight hair..). Very disappointing!

Destiny -April 5, 2014, 6:04PM

Elizabeth S. is beautiful!

Imani -April 5, 2014, 9:30PM

No women of color??????

Erin -April 5, 2014, 10:45PM

All of these finalists are beautiful, how are you supposed to pick just one?! All of the finalists are so talented also. Best of luck to all of them! I don’t know how we are supposed to vote they are all wonderful!!

Rebekah -April 5, 2014, 11:11PM

Why are there no links to the stylists websites?!

Elizabeth -April 6, 2014, 12:53AM

Could you at least think about having models with some different body types?!?! It’s fine to pick some tall, skinny models, but I’d love to see some different shapes and sizes featured too. Women of all different body types buy Free People clothes! So it would be nice to see short, tall, skinny, curvy, etc. sometime.

Jannessa -April 6, 2014, 2:32AM

I for one am really enjoying this contest! I adore Alexandria Patelski’s styling, it’s So fresh and fun! What a cutie! And Kimbra Lo is beautiful and unique looking They are definitely my favorites and have my vote!

Fulgham -April 6, 2014, 2:55AM

Elizabeth Sawatzky is absolutely beautiful! She is flawless…the winner by far!

Jara -April 6, 2014, 7:58AM

Not to beat a dead horse, but seeing the model finalists is really upsetting. I believe the entire purpose of this talent search is to DISCOVER new talent and creativity. Are skinny white girls really as creative as you can get? Is that seriously the ONLY thing you find beautiful Free People? Trust me, I get it. Models are super thin and that’s just the way it is today, especially on the runway. No problem. But as a brand that embodies a boho spirit, why not branch out a little bit? Quite frankly I’m tired of seeing incredibly frail Caucasian women model all of your clothing. Free people – if you even put a multicultural size 6 in your catalog girls would be much more proud of the brand. Think about it, it’s abundantly evident that’s what your buyers want to see.

Dina Francis -April 6, 2014, 8:55AM

Just want to point out that “older” women also wear your clothes. I’m in my 40′s and can pull off the look just as great as the models above. You may want to consider branching out and including your real costumers. What I see above is the same old stereotypical vision of model. The girls are all beautiful but take a chance and try variety next time. No vote from me sorry!

Brie -April 6, 2014, 10:43AM

I really hope you consider the barrage of comments above. Most of us look nothing like the models you choose to showcase, and it is truly demoralizing to think that the brand we love doesn’t believe we’re beautiful enough to wear it. Curvy women, short women, “older women” and women of color — we all wear your clothing and should be represented on your site.

Lise -April 6, 2014, 11:43AM

I am a Latino woman with a black daughter….. Latinos are not even in the back seat, in politics, fashion , music, movies . We don’t rise up in revolution screaming for equal rights….. but come on public Latino’s pick your food but you won’t place them amongst the others? Latinos are an intricate part of this nation yet no one even pays any mind to us. We take care of our own, we quietly work pay taxes & struggle as the lowest group on the totem. We live in slavery today 2014. The word is migrant worker. FYI when I went to adopt I couldn’t find a Latino child, they do not exist. Latinos have been overlooked too long!

amber -April 6, 2014, 11:58AM

So disappointing to see all of the negative comments. None of us can know for sure by one picture what race someone is, and multiculturalism is not defined solely by color. A “skinny white girl” could easily be Scandinavian, Russian, or any number of things. Do any of you know Elizabeth S’s ethnicity? She could be partly African American, Latino, Indian, Middle Eastern, or Native American for all you know. I find the negative comments to be so judgmental, hiding behind a veil of “diversity.” I appreciate what FP is doing with this open call contest and have enjoyed seeing the different talent represented. Good luck to everyone!

cristina -April 6, 2014, 12:42PM

seeing people with diversity, women of all races, ages and body types, is exactly what you find on fpme….just saying ladies… look there, it really is amazing seeing the beauty and creativity of free people’s consumers styling their merchandise in real life.

V -April 6, 2014, 12:45PM

In response to the comments & from what I see, Elizabeth and Kimbra are not white. Jennifer looks a bit older than models usually start. Candra is a little thicker than a skinny model. I would say that is diversity. Not to leave one out, Logan looks sweet as can be, and not deserving of hate based on what she is not. And we have no idea who actually entered the contest!! Did anyone complaining know of someone in the group they wish were represented to actually enter? These contestants deserve a chance too. No one said it was a diversity challenge. In the end, they will only pick one, so how diverse can that be anyway? This is about who looks like they can model, who seems to have a look that comes from their eyes or their pose, and who might best be able to move in some clothes. That is how you need to select, not about who looks like they have certain diversity features.

sandy -April 6, 2014, 1:03PM

Wow, what a disappointment. Absolutely no diversity. You do realize dark skin is beautiful too….

Katie -April 6, 2014, 5:07PM

I’ve always thought of Free People as different., you know, creative, sees beauty in everyone.. I guess I was wrong.

Kaya -April 6, 2014, 5:22PM

I love free people, but u should have more stuff that teens can wear to school that they won’t get in trouble for. But I love your clothing

Amapola -April 6, 2014, 6:09PM

Beyond the diversity concerns, in what way was this a fair process if there were live open calls, available to few, in addition to the online application, available to all? It really seems as if it should have been a strictly online submission process only – a leveled playing field.

Kelsey -April 7, 2014, 4:19AM

There are several non-white women up there, why are we complaining? …I am a minority and I think the finalists are a stunning conglomerate of talent and flair.

Cat -April 7, 2014, 4:00PM

Free People is just another Abercrombie & Fitch.

shaye -April 7, 2014, 6:19PM

Only two of these did what Freepeople said to do for the modeling, and thats the last two. Obviously the third girl down has an edited photo, so that’s not fair and is a false impression, not to mention thats not a white background like it said you must do. The first girl isn’t a straight on head shot, she’s angled, which everyone has a better angle and Freepeople said a straight on photo. And the second girl isn’t even a head to toe and isn’t behind a white background, you can hardly see her. This contest in officially bogus, at least pick people who did exactly what you asked to do. Not fair at all.

Cassie -April 7, 2014, 6:52PM

So heartbroken to not be a photographer finalist! I’m still determined to shoot for Free People in my career (and maybe snag some more Free People wardrobe. ;) )

For anyone who might be interested in what kind of photos I submitted, follow this link.. http://tejasprints.com/bohofashion

leslie -April 7, 2014, 7:12PM

Isn’t Jenifer in the modeling contest an actual model? Her instagram have pics of her working with Prana, that seems a little unfair to be already a model. I mean, all the people nominated are great, but it seems like a few didn’t follow the rules for the thing. Overall though, best luck to everyone

zaine -April 7, 2014, 11:31PM

This is the first time I’ve ever followed a modeling thread only because my gf (who doesn’t “model”) got asked to try out and made it into the finals, and i gotta say I’m pretty disgusted with the whole modeling world. Like its genuinely gross as hell to me. All these polls for people to comment and vote on who they think it the prettiest girl is so senseless to the female gender. All of you women are beautiful, you don’t need a clothing company that claims the “hippy look” while selling 800 dollar dresses and competes women against each other in a contest of pure outward beauty to make you see that in others. This seems obvious to me and is probably obvious to all of you ladies out there if you take yourself out of this and think about it. just keep that in mind before you make a comment on another goddesses beauty, on the internet and out. If my lady loses this competition ill be glad, but then again, we need money and I’m down to mob to new york.

katie -April 8, 2014, 1:44AM

I really wanted to go for it, however I am a size 6 and would never be picked compared to these girls. Its a dream of mine that is so highly unrealistic regardless of how I look outside of the realm of my still slightly less than average figure. crazy.

Linh Barinowski -April 8, 2014, 12:57PM

Jill Mason is THE BEST!!

Aisha Harley -April 8, 2014, 1:43PM

So much creative talent however, I am really taken by Jill Mason’s stunning image!!!

Jenna Kahn -April 8, 2014, 4:39PM

I had an amazing time shooting for this competition and although I’m disappointed to not be a finalist, I look forward to future opportunities!

For anyone interested, feel free to visit my website and offer any comments. Stylist/model: Jenna Kahn, Photographer: Nina Paletta

olive -April 8, 2014, 6:29PM

Kind of disappointed by the photographers! Not that they aren’t talent, but they are all professional, well established photographers that could have gotten this job through the proper channels, I was hoping to see some “new, undiscovered talent”. Why even have an open call?

Anonymous -April 8, 2014, 8:12PM

Jill Mason has the most incredible vision and style. She is a genius and a goddess!

Anonymous -April 9, 2014, 5:46AM

I WISH I COULD HAVE BEEN IN THIS I JUST FOUND OUT ABOUT IT NOW!
ANYWAYS, DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN THEY ARE GOING TO DO THIS AGAIN?
check out my facebook page:
facebook.com/letmetakeyourpicture
and my tumblr:
letmetakeyourpicture.tumblr.com

I WOULD HAVE LOVED TO PHOTOGRAPH FOR FREE PEOPLE !!! <3

Katherine Angelique -April 9, 2014, 5:47AM

I WISH I COULD HAVE BEEN IN THIS I JUST FOUND OUT ABOUT IT NOW!
ANYWAYS, DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN THEY ARE GOING TO DO THIS AGAIN?
check out my facebook page:
facebook.com/letmetakeyourpicture
and my tumblr:
letmetakeyourpicture.tumblr.com

I WOULD HAVE LOVED TO PHOTOGRAPH FOR FREE PEOPLE !!! <3

Source: Open Call: Vote For The Finalists! | Free People Blog http://blog.freepeople.com/2014/04/open-call-vote-finalists/#ixzz2yOTxmLS4

Jill Mason -April 9, 2014, 4:09PM

Big thank you to all of you beautiful peeps for voting for me. You can find more of mine and my teams work a (Kate Rutter & Phil Chester) at http://www.wearehart.com. Peace and Love!

Jill Mason -April 9, 2014, 4:30PM

Oh, one more thing….my Instagram handle is @starflowerpdx you can see more of my floral styling there!

Angie -April 9, 2014, 9:15PM

OH AND ONE MORE THING……I MIGHT NOT BE 5’11″….IM 5’3″ AND A SIZE 0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sarah Cassidy -April 10, 2014, 3:50PM

Jill Mason (stylist) has been our personal stylist here at Cassidy since I opened four years ago!! Always making us beauties abound, I have nothing but amazing things to say about this woman. But most of all that her creativity and poise never cease to amaze me. Voting for this designer is a no brainer.

danelle -April 14, 2014, 10:43PM

Had a blast shooting for this contest and even made a friend! I was kinda disappointed not to be a finalist. As a bigger girl who loves the brand I was hoping that FP would be a little more open-minded to having a curvy girl represent their brand just as well as a skinny girl.

Nicole -April 23, 2014, 9:39PM

I was extremely disappointed by the photographer finalists. They’re all VERY established fashion photographers. And I could’ve sworn the point was to discover new, undiscovered talent.

Pointless “contest”. You could’ve hired any of those photographers through their respective high profile agencies, I’m sure.

Nicole -April 23, 2014, 9:41PM

Pointless “contest”. You could’ve hired any of those photographers through their respective high profile agencies.

Olivia -April 24, 2014, 12:21AM

I’m going to have to mimic a few other girls who have posted by noting that Rebecca Flam’s “style” is that of another creative mind, Natalie Suarez (http://www.natalieoffduty.com/search?updated-max=2014-04-06T05:34:00-07:00&max-results=500&start=5&by-date=false).

As someone who participated in the Styling category, I am incredibly disheartened to learn that FP did not take the time to make sure these pieces were original. Based on that I will not be voting for any of these categories. Although I love the brand I can’t believe this was overlooked along with who knows what other details regarding the women involved.

Madisan -April 25, 2014, 1:01AM

Well Alexia Lombard Photography and I ( Madisan Amelia ) didn’t become finalist, was hoping for different finalists as well but I wish the winners all the best :/ maybe another time!
Follow me on Instagram @strangely_fabulous20
Or find me on Facebook!!!
I wish that there could be opportunities for other photographers, models and stylists!!!!

Brynna -April 30, 2014, 7:20PM

Jill – you are so talented; They would be lucky to work with you!

Jessikka King -May 30, 2014, 4:24PM

All of the finalists are so talented and beautiful. I agree that it is nice to see diversity, but then, I love seeing all of the models who are up here as well, and it’s just too bad that there is not the opportunity for everyone to be selected. One huge magazine full of everyone of all ages and sizes and ethnicities wearing beautiful clothing together. I agree with some of the earlier comments that it would’ve been particularly nice to see more people who aren’t already professionals, but oh well. Additionally, there is a certain look models are required to have (I’m tall white and skinny and I don’t qualify — I have a number of scars, and they want you to have perfect skin and teeth and… you know, everything, according to their idea of “perfect”), and it would be nice to have seen at least one of those rules being bent here. Not a single one is. That, I find disappointing personally, but I think that is what it boils down to: we all want to feel like we are being represented, and I suspect very few people feel represented by these selections. The models are all undeniably stunning, though! Thank you for giving people this opportunity.

Carol -June 3, 2014, 12:59AM

Free People is a corporation/ part of a corporation. It is a money making venture concerned with making money. A lot of people on here seem to think that because the style of their clothing is bohemian, they should somehow uphold a higher moral standard of inclusion. WRONG. You’ve swallowed their brilliant marketing strategies hook, line, and sinker. The hippie style has long ceased to be a statement of commercial rejection. So once again, Free People is a company, whose goal is to make money. Do not think for a second that they care about diversity or anything like that. What has the standard of beauty been for decades now? White, thin, etc, etc… This image makes money. It generates revenue. Free People is a company. They care about making money, not about you. People stop living in some dream land. Only you can stand up for yourself. If you are truly upset with this company, then stop giving them your money. Free People is just another company putting out the same image. People are way too hung up on models and assessing image these days. True, models and beauty seem to be a growing part of our culture, but you have a choice whether or not to get caught up in it. The image is not going to change.

From,
The black and white daughter of hippie parents who will soon be a doctor and hopes for the day when the least used adjectives to describe women involve physical appearance!

PS to the person who posted the link of a white model and black model (I think on some kind of street style thing) as evidence for the diversity of free people, nice try. #you’resoignorant

Ellie -July 9, 2014, 7:08PM

To be honest I just discovered Free People, LOVED their outfits, a bit pricey for me at the moment but I planned on making Free People my go-to brand when I make a better salary in the future; the only thing that disturbed me was that all I saw were white people in their catalogs… maybe I missed a catalog that DID include a bit more culture but I did not, the one I picked up was all-white. I myself am mixed with blood from almost every continent, but I feel strange or alienated standing in a room with just one race. I am most comfortable when surrounded by diversity. I mean, we’re all under the same sun and moon!

I got curious and looked up “Free People colored models” on Google and honestly I did not find anything but I found this site, which is why I’m here commenting. It’s just weird. If they’re a company that’s only out for money, well… would it not make sense to reach out to the other communities that are fans of their product as well? Would that not help their company possibly expand in some sort of way?

I honestly think, for any company who wishes to target only white people as their customers, they might as well be up-front about it; I mean, just cut to the chase and save everybody’s time. Those who believe in culture and diversity will know not to shop at such a place and that could possibly even help weed out racists who do choose to shop there afterwards… If you don’t want non-white people to buy your products then be honest about it, save everyone’s time.

As for Free People, as I mentioned earlier, I just discovered them… they could have an outdated racial-based attitude or not, I do not know, and that’s why I’m doing my research. I’m hoping I find someone or something that changes my mind or makes me feel silly for thinking Free People could possibly be only about white girls lol but so far it just feels a little sketchy to me…