Our #1 Beauty Essential

Post image for Our #1 Beauty Essential

When it comes to natural beauty, ask almost anyone what their number one essential product is and the answer will be the same: coconut oil.

Lately I’ve been relying on this tropical-smelling oil for pretty much everything, and this time of year I find myself craving coconuts themselves, and coconut water, more and more.  Refreshing, hydrating, delicious, and the taste… I can just close my eyes and pretend I’m on a tropical island somewhere. Here are some of my favorite of the many, many uses for coconut oil – what are your favorite ways to use it?

coconut-oil-uses

coconut oil beauty uses

Moisturizer: Coconut oil all by itself is an amazing moisturizer. Use it on dry patches of skin, the cuticles, or after you’ve been out in the sun to replenish your skin. It also contains a little bit of natural SPF!

Conditioner: My hair tends to get really dry, really easily.  I like to rub a little coconut oil on my hands and run them through my hair to keep it moisturized – plus it smells great! Coconut oil works great on its own as a leave-in conditioner, but you can also use it as a base with other ingredients to make your own shampoo or conditioner!

Lip Balm: Just as it helps to moisturize skin and hair, coconut oil is my go-to for chapped lips!

Makeup Remover: Coconut oil is an effective way to remove eye makeup – just dip a cotton ball in it and wipe gently around the eyes. An added bonus? It can also help your eyelashes grow!

Deodorant: Mix coconut oil with baking soda, arrowroot flour, and your favorite essential oil to get an amazing-smelling, effective all-natural deodorant.

Face Scrub: Mix coconut oil and sea salt to make a great exfoliating facial scrub that will leave your skin feeling bright, moisturized, and fresh!

Sea Salt Spray: My favorite! Mix coconut oil, water, and sea salt in a spray bottle.  Spray into hair for tousled, beachy waves! Tutorials here and here.

Lip Scrub: Exfoliate and prep your lips just by mixing coconut oil and some sugar!

coconut oil uses

Another awesome use for coconut oil is oil pulling – read more about this beauty practice here.

cracking a coconut

There’s something really satisfying about cracking a coconut open and drinking the water straight from it – here’s a little reminder on how to crack a coconut!

coconut

Once you’ve finished the water, you can eat the “meat” or, my favorite – add it to a smoothie! Try this coconut strawberry smoothie.

coconut oil uses

How do you use coconut oil?

More natural beauty from the BLDG 25 Blog.

Follow FP Julia on Twitter.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments

Janet -May 20, 2014, 7:21AM

I love coconut oil and usually use it in baking but my friend just started selling essential oil and I am going to put a few drops into the oil and use it as a moisturizer for the Summer. Great pictures! Happy Tuesday!!

Kitty Kat -May 20, 2014, 7:50AM

Coconut oil is great but it’s not very sustainable to buy. It’s always imported and now that it’s in such high demand, there’s an over production :/ As much as I love using it, I’m trying to go easy on it.

Beautifille -May 20, 2014, 9:13AM

Coconut oil is the best! It has really transformed my dry, damaged hair. I use it as a “pre shampoo” routine – apply it all over my hair (even my scalp, it’s great for your scalp as well!) and leave it on for 30 minutes before shampooing it off. I always talk about it to my friends, it’s my best hair tip!

Manishi -May 20, 2014, 10:29AM

:) it z nice to be in a country where we get abundant of coconut. luv Sri Lanka. but in most part of the country oil is in its liquid form. i luv it when it z solid and creamy.

dani -May 20, 2014, 2:06PM

I love coconut oil. It’s the only kind of lotion I use anymore! And, because it’s naturally antibacterial, its even great as a facial moisturizer that won’t make you break out.
I find that large jars of it are really affordable in the Jamaican/West Indian grocery stores in NYC.

<3 dani

Tiffany -May 20, 2014, 2:51PM

I use it as an eye make up remover and it has replaced the kind I used to by! Love knowing that its natural and I agree with the scent…all of a sudden I feel like I’m in Hawaii!

xx, Tiffany | http://www.sunshinedaydreamphotography.com/

shawnee -May 20, 2014, 4:18PM

YES. coconut oil is queen. i use it for all these things. after using it for so long, i even love the extra virgin coconut oil that actually smells like a coconut … feels like i’m bringing the beach everywhere i go, even when it rains :) xo

Kate -May 20, 2014, 4:46PM

I use it for my frizzy, dry curly hair it and works wonders!!!!

Terri -May 20, 2014, 5:00PM

I use it as makeup! Yes makeup. After washing my face I put a little on all over my face. Then I put extra on lips for shine and on cheekbones for highlighting. I also put on my eyelashes after curling them.
My face has an all over glow.

TamarackAndKhus -May 20, 2014, 8:04PM

I love to put a dab of coconut oil on the bottom half of my hair to help keep it moisturized.
I love grated fresh coconut in a strawberry smoothie!

Jess -May 20, 2014, 9:43PM

I like to use coconut oil as a gentle deep cleaner/exfoliator. After I wash my face before bed, I slather on coconut oil, then wipe off the excess with a cotton ball. It really gets off a ton of makeup that you didn’t even realize you missed, and it isn’t damaging at all. After that, you’re left with a thin layer still on to moisturize.

Beauty Therapy Salons Werribee -May 20, 2014, 10:17PM

Coconut oil is always the best option as its pure and natural. You cant imagine how many things you can do with coconut oil or cream.

F & J -May 21, 2014, 2:00AM

We love coconut oil! We use it to keep our hair moisturized while swimming in chlorine filled pools! It helps with the dryness too! We also use it to make our skin feel silky smooth! We love all your ideas too and would love to try them out! Especially the strawberry coconut smoothie! Also it is really cool how you use the whole coconut instead of buying a jar of oil from the store!

Renelle -May 21, 2014, 11:23PM

Traditional way to extract oil from a coconut is by simply chewing the coco fruit for a few minutes and place it in your palm and gently rub your scalp for a few minutes. It sounds funny and gross, but it actually gives you a shiny and strong hair.Try it, it’s fun!
Feel free to comment in my blog iCare143.blogspot.com
Thanks…

Anonymous -May 22, 2014, 4:26PM

I use it as moisturizer, shaving cream, toothpaste blended with equal part of baking soda and a some essential oil (mint). I also use. Coconut oil as hair treatment and makeup remover. I love it and won’t go back. I save a lot of money as bonus!!!

Zoila -June 8, 2014, 2:11AM

I’ve just recently started using coconut oil and i absolutely love it! I’m one of those people who can’t bear to wear lotion because it’s so thick and it makes me sweat. Therefore never face. But the coconut oil is so good I can sleep with it on! I rub it all over my body, it absorbs quickly and I sleep so comfortably feeling so silly smooth! I love this oil!

ofelia -June 28, 2014, 2:09AM

not to be graphic but i think lots of ladies would appreciate this… we use it as lubricant in the bedroom!
its anti-fungal, and anti bacterial, smells and taste great! its honestly the best ever…

Elena -July 10, 2014, 3:42PM

I love coconut oil. Here is how I like to use it from morning to night, and at the beach as well: http://www.mydropinthebucket.com/12-beauty-uses-of-coconut-oil-in-summer/

Organic Fiji -July 22, 2014, 6:45PM

If you are now looking to buy coconut oil for any beauty purposes or cooking check out our USDA certified Organic Coconut Oil products!