Cinco de Mayo is so very close, so that means it’s time to make bean dip.
I’m not normally one to use the term “crowd pleaser,” but this creation is exactly that. I tested it out with dairy eaters as well as non-dairy eaters, and both parties were equally obsessed. It’s just so good. Try it with our Blood Orange Margarita!
5-Layer Vegan Bean Dip
1 cup refried pinto beans
2 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning (recipe below)
2 medium Haas avocados
2 medium Roma tomatoes, chopped
½ medium yellow
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
Juice of 3 limes
½ cup vegan cheddar cheese, grated
¼ cup black olives, sliced
8 ounces vegan cream cheese (I love GO Veggie! brand)
Chopped green onions to garnish
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon onion flakes
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
To make taco seasoning: Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Set aside.
1. In a medium bowl, mix the homemade taco seasoning and refried beans until well combined. Spoon into a large dish, spreading to evenly cover the bottom.
2. Spoon vegan cream cheese on top of the bean layer, and spread evenly. If you’d like, you can first put this in a food processor with just a splash of water to create a consistency that’s more easily spreadable.
3. Peel and pit avocados. Mix in food processor until smooth, then transfer to a medium bowl. Add tomatoes, cilantro, jalapeño, onion, and lime juice. Mix until well combined, then add to the dish on top of your cream cheese layer.
4. Add a layer of black olives.
5. Sprinkle vegan cheese on top.
6. Garnish with chopped green onions, and you’re all set! Serve with tortilla chips.
Happy Cinco de Mayo!