Shell Jewelry Inspiration

Post image for Shell Jewelry Inspiration

As the sun begins to grace us more and more with its beautiful light and heat, my mind turns to seaside days.  All I want to do is submerge myself in the refreshing salt water, run my hands along the bottom, and collect the most beautiful shells I come across.

shell jewelry inspiration

I used to think beachy jewelry could be somewhat tacky, but now I feel that when it’s done right, it can be stunningly beautiful – as if you’re a mermaid who’s left the ocean for the very first time.

It’s so simple to make, too. All you need are some shells and a couple other things – depending on what you want to make.

shell jewelry inspiration

I collected some shells from the beach, but also acquired some pre-strung shells from a craft store as well as a thrift store. I also got some natural-colored thread, jewelry glue, and various jewelry bases – metal earring hooks, thin wires for necklaces, a beautiful metal cuff (with a flat spot perfect for placing a shell on top of), and some metal rings.

I love the idea of cutting the pre-strung shells into different lengths to wear as layered necklaces or a wrapped ankle bracelet.

shell jewelry inspiration

I strung some of the shells onto a piece of thread, making knots in random places to space them out, then I tied this onto an earring hook. Voila! Instant earring. If you’re using shells that don’t already have holes in them, you can pretty easily drill your own using a very thin drill bit.

shell jewelry inspiration

How beautiful are these rings and this bracelet base I found at the craft store? They were exactly what I needed for this project.

shell jewelry inspiration

I attached a tiny hook onto the back of a shell, and two tiny hooks onto the back of an awesome triangular rock my sister found as we were walking the beach. Once these dried, I made them into chokers!

shell jewelry inspiration

Super simple! Homemade shell jewelry is the perfect way to get us into that hazy, sandy, summer mindset. I’m planning to mix these jewels in with my everyday accessories to give just a hint of beachiness in an overall eclectic look, all summer long.

shell jewelry inspiration

Follow Brigette on Instagram, and have a look at her blog Hummusbird!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Comments

Claire -May 9, 2014, 8:21AM

Beautiful! My Mum had a long shell necklace just like the one above back in the 70s, must see if she still has it!

Taylor -May 9, 2014, 9:07AM

I always end up making shell jewelry in the spring and summer…it has become a ritual of sorts for me welcoming the new seasons. :)
xx
~Taylor

Megan -May 9, 2014, 9:36AM

I just got back from a trip to Florida about a week ago, and I found so many seashells with holes naturally in them. It’s almost as if Mother Nature was asking me to make beautiful things with them.

Anonymous -May 9, 2014, 11:39AM

how do you make hole in the shell, without ruin it.

Katie -May 9, 2014, 12:40PM

This post is such a perfect reminder that summer is near. I also used to think shell jewelry was a little bit tacky, but seeing the lovely pieces you created really inspired me! xx

a-different-sun.blogspot.com

Alison -May 9, 2014, 1:10PM

Love this! Shell jewelry is a great way to stay close to the ocean all year. My best friend makes one-of-a-kind jewelry pieces on Maui. They are Beautiful!! http://www.wingshawaii.com

Susan Jizba -May 9, 2014, 1:13PM

Such a Beautiful Inspiration….it makes me want to head off for a sunny seaside retreat with clear warm waters and lazy afternoons in a hammock swinging gently in the salty sea breeze… thank you so very much for sharing….

The Weaver Of Words….weaving fibers & fables….
……..give me 15 words and I’ll tell you a tale……

eliza sloane -May 9, 2014, 4:09PM

such a whimsical and beautiful post! if anyone is looking for shells or seaglass set in sterling silver check out our site!

rodelma lopez -May 9, 2014, 6:16PM

inspiring…I live near the beach for a long time and we made a lot out of it for home décor now we are inspired to do more thanks

Tyrene H. -May 9, 2014, 11:33PM

I was just in awe at all the beautiful, earthy, simplicity that radiates from this photographs. I have found a new DYI that will last a lifetime…Thank You for the Inspiration!

Megan Babin -May 11, 2014, 11:23AM

Where did you find the rings and the bracelet Brigette? I’ve become a little obsessed with this posts, you’re pictures are beautiful! As always :)

inspirational bracelets -May 15, 2014, 1:21PM

SO tender and natural! Truly inspirational post!

Corey Stafford -May 19, 2014, 7:20PM

Where do you find the metal chokers to make the necklace? I want to make some of my own!! :)

Charms -June 17, 2014, 11:31AM

I am not fond of wearing shell jewelry but I find it unique and beautiful only to those who can pull it off. :)