4 Switches To Make To Your Mouth Care Routine

Post image for 4 Switches To Make To Your Mouth Care Routine

Oral health is so important to our overall well-being – it’s believed that taking proper care of the mouth and gums can help prevent the development of certain issues with digestion, the heart, and other major organs.

What we allow to enter our bodies can affect every aspect of our mental and physical health, which is why I’m such a huge fan of natural, organic food and beauty products – and mouth-care is no exception. Here are 4 simple changes you can make in order to care for your mouth in the most natural of ways!

natural mouth care

1. Start with your toothbrush. Most conventional toothbrushes are made with nylon bristles, which scrape teeth moreso than brush. This can weaken enamel and irritate sensitive gums. Plus, who really wants to be putting synthetic fibers in their mouth twice a day? Not I! Natural bristles are softer and gentler – they actually brush teeth rather than scraping them. I just got my hands on this Swissco toothbrush, and I’m in love. Not only is it made with natural bristles – it’s pretty damn attractive, too.

natural mouth care

2. Switch your toothpaste. In most cases, the active ingredient in conventional toothpastes is fluoride, which is thought to interfere with brain and thyroid function, cause bone damage, and cause reproductive issues, just to name a few. Fear not, though, because you don’t need fluoride to properly clean your mouth. I’m a huge fan of the Desert Essence’s Natural Tea Tree Oil & Neem Toothpaste, which is totally fluoride free. It contains neem – an ayurvedic extract used for its dental benefits, as well as baking soda – one of my favorite natural cleansers, and tea tree oil – known for its antiseptic properties. It’s also flavored with wintergreen essential oil, so you definitely get that beautiful freshly-brushed feeling in your mouth. You could also just make your own using those ingredients!

natural mouth care

3. Chew on herbs and spices, not gum. I must admit, I do love me a fresh pack of gum, especially when I’ve been traveling. But most gums contain all different chemicals that I’m certainly not proud to be putting in my body. The solution? Chew on some fresh parsley or mint! These two herbs help to fight odor-causing bacteria, leaving your mouth feeling as fresh as ever. Another solution is to chew on crunchy, exotic spices, like coriander, cloves, and fennel. These also contain antibiotic properties to help fight bad breath. The best part about these spices is that they’re totally portable. Carry a small container in your purse and chew all day long.

natural mouth care

4. Trade in your teeth-whitening gel for coconut oil. If you haven’t tried oil pulling yet, I suggest you do so the first chance you get. Swishing coconut, sesame, or olive oil in your mouth for about 20 minutes each day can help pull toxins from your mouth — and possibly even your whole body. It can help whiten teeth, prevent dryness of the mouth, prevent cavities, strengthen teeth, and a whole lot more. This technique is like pure magic! Read more about the benefits of oil pulling.

Have any other tips for taking care of your mouth naturally? Please share!

Follow Brigette on Instagram, and have a look at her blog and Etsy shop!

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Comments

Hypnotica Vintage -June 16, 2014, 10:04AM

I love to chew on fennel!!

I am a huge fan of first-thing in the morning tongue scraping- it is an Ayurvedic practice that is said to stimulate and cleanse the entire body. Use a spoon, gently scrape your tongue until it is clean, and rinse with cool water.

Mariah -June 16, 2014, 10:44AM

Another thing that’s bad for teeth enamel is glycerin! It’s in most toothpaste–even natural ones. Glycerin keeps your enamel from fully developing and “closing.” I use a clay based toothpaste similar to Earthpaste, but making your own is a great option as well.

Emily -June 16, 2014, 10:46AM

Another (scary) reason to change your toothpaste: most conventional brands contain either sucralose, saccharin, or both! Though we haven’t tried Desert Essence yet, husband and I just switched to Tom’s of Maine. We love their fluoride-free version!!

Emily -June 16, 2014, 11:12AM

What are the bristles on Swissco’s toothbrushes made of? I checked their site, but couldn’t find an answer.

Eva -June 16, 2014, 11:42AM

I use activated charcoal powder to clean and whiten my teeth, along with a natural toothpaste and fennel seeds in my oral hygiene, activated charcoal provided immediate results and I haven’t stopped using it since, far more safe than toxic bleaching methods!

Beka -June 16, 2014, 3:35PM

Although natural toothpaste is better for you, it is not because of fluoride. Flouride is NOT dangerous at all, nor does it pose any heath risk of any kind. When used in a mouthwash or as a varnish or foam at the dentist, it is very good at preventing tooth decay & even reversing pre-caries (tooth decay at the very beginning stages). Please do not believe that fluoride is dangerous, but I, as a dental assistant, would recommend using a natural toothpaste because there are other ingredients in normal toothpaste that just don’t need to be in there, like silicon, glycerin, & artificial sweetener. This is especially true for children, who are more likely to swallow toothpaste. Also, be careful when using charcoal, turmeric, or baking soda on your teeth. It is highly abrasive & can wear away at tooth enamel. Use it gently on a weekly, not daily, basis.

Krystal -June 16, 2014, 11:27PM

There are some natural gums too. And instead of using artificial sweeteners or sugar, it uses xylitol. Xyilitol is derived from hardwood, and is found in berries and vegetables. Xylitol is used as a diabetic sweetener which is roughly as sweet as sucrose with 33% fewer calories. Unlike other natural or artificial sweeteners, xylitol is super beneficial to dental health. Multiple studies using a microscopy have shown that xylitol is effective in inducing remineralization of deeper layers of demineralized enamel…. Long story short PUR gum is a really great alternative, or xylitol breath mints… Or even sucking on a tablespoon of xylitol, tastes way better than sugar anyways :)

Lydia -June 16, 2014, 11:47PM

thanks Bekah for your insight! yeah, my Bio teacher tells me that she makes her children use natural toothpaste, but it’s just because she doesn’t find artificial coloring all that necessary to be passing through a little kid’s body.

Juliette Laura -June 17, 2014, 3:24PM

Definitely going to try oil pulling and wow I must trade in for a new tooth brush and toothpaste, you have me convinced! Lovely photos.

Vanessa -June 19, 2014, 8:12PM

Great article! I’ll definitely have to try out the chewing on herbs and spices! I’ve never thought of that before!

Masken -June 23, 2014, 12:37AM

Thanks for the very important tips. definitly i will try to do you all tips for my teeth keep better………….

Emily -June 23, 2014, 1:14AM

Nothing wrong with using a natural toothpaste but the comments about fluoride pertain to high amounts and not the levels you are exposed to in toothpaste, etc. The dose makes the poison. Anything in a natural toothpaste will also have nasty side effects at high enough amounts. Again, it all depends on dosage and exposure.

Allena -September 10, 2014, 3:02AM

it is very nice post.you provide us very informative and useful post about mouth care.i feel very happy to read stuff material.keep sharing.