7 Changes To Make For A Smoother Morning Routine

Post image for 7 Changes To Make For A Smoother Morning Routine

Mornings are rough.

Whether you’re a morning person or not, it’s hard to deny that getting up and getting ready for your day can sometimes be somewhat of a… scramble. My whole life I’ve been a huge culprit of the morning scramble. I’m usually running late, and I never get to accomplish all of the things I meant to, whether that be eating breakfast, going for a morning workout, or even just putting on an outfit that I’m excited to be wearing.

I think what it comes down to is preparation and routine. It doesn’t have to be a big ordeal, but there are simple things we can do before the morning to ensure that we start the next day as smoothly as possible. Because a smooth morning is the perfect setup for a wonderful, productive, happy day. Once you’re able to make a routine out of these things, they’ll all become second nature – and so will easy mornings. :)

1. Get your water ready.

morning routine

We’re all probably aware that starting off the day with a fresh glass of water is incredibly beneficial for us – both mentally and physically. Instead of it being an afterthought, why not be excited for your first glass of the day? At night, fill a jug with water (one with a spout is even better), and add a bunch of fruits like lemon, blackberries, and cucumber. You’ll be starting the day with a refreshing beverage, and it took just as long as it would to fill your glass from the tap. If you need some inspiration, these infused water recipes are awesome.

2. Make space for movement.

morning routine

When I have sh*t all over my floor (as I usually do), it really slows me down in the morning. I can never find anything I need, and I usually end up tripping multiple times before getting out the door. Waking up to frustration like that is not the ideal way to start the day. Try to pick everything up off your floor before going to bed (or at the very least, clear a nice pathway for yourself, ha!). Your morning self with thank you.

3. Prepare your breakfast.

morning routine

Breakfast is a lot more doable in the morning when it’s already prepared! Try making something like these overnight oats, and you might just find yourself having enough time to sit down and enjoy your meal.

4. Know what you’re going to wear.

morning routine

This is one of the oldest tricks in the book – and not for no reason! How long do you spend in the morning trying on a million things until you finally decide what to wear? If you choose your outfit the night before, getting dressed literally takes 30 seconds. Maybe less. Have fun with it at night – put on some music and play dress-up just like you’re a little kid. Turns out, it’s still just as fun now as it was back then.

5. Invest in a pump container.

morning routine

This might sound silly, but having your shower products in pump containers is truly such a blessing. Lately I’ve been loving this Alaffia Authentic African Black Soap, which comes in a pump container. What makes it even better is that it can be used as a body wash, face wash, shampoo, and shave gel. Are you kidding me? That’s an easy morning shower right there.

6. Put your things by the door.

morning routine

Maybe it’s just me, but I always find myself bringing a million things with me when I leave the house — food… my camera… craft supplies – and all too often I’ve found myself stressed out that I’m forgetting something. Then one day it hit me: If I leave all of these things by my front door, I’ll have no choice but to remember them. If it’s food that must be refrigerated, I’ll just leave an empty bag there to serve as a reminder. I can’t tell you how helpful this has been. It is such a timesaver.

7. Leave your alarm away from your bed.

morning routine

This one sucks, but it certainly works. Instead of having your phone or other alarm clock right next to your bed, place it somewhere that requires you to get up in order to shut it off. You still might hit the snooze button and run back into bed, but once you’re actually out of bed, there’s a better chance that you’ll stay out. And once you realize how much more time you have when you get up earlier, you might find that mornings are actually enjoyable. Plus, I don’t think we should be sleeping with our cell phones near us anyway – I think it’s best to stay away from that radiation whenever possible!

Do you have any tips to making mornings smoother? Please share!!

Follow Brigette on Instagram, and have a look at her blog and Etsy shop!

Tags: , , ,

Comments

Kristien -June 30, 2014, 9:00AM

Haha, I do the empty bag thing too!
My only problem with morning routines is that I tend to stay even longer in bed because “oh I don’t need to rush anyway because I’ve prepared everything already, might as well snooze a bit”. So I end up rushing anyway.
That snooze button is pure evil :(

Alex -June 30, 2014, 9:34AM

I’m one to keep my alarm by my bed but I set the alarm to soft sound instead of the usual alarm bell or even the emergency buzz sound. Having a softer, gentler sound is easier to wake up to because it doesn’t jolt me out of bed and start me with a panicked sound.

I also agree with laying everything you need out beforehand. I never forget anything when I do that.

Rita Tocta -June 30, 2014, 11:25AM

Haha, I put the alarm far away from bed too, somedays I don’t even remember but I wake up again with it by my side in bed :) I get up, bring it to bed with me and keep hitting the snooze button! My favorite personal tip for mornings is…go to bed early, get yourself a nice sleeping routine. I must be son of Morpheus, the God of dreams and sleep because I really need to sleep 8hours or I won’t function!

Allie || 6000 miles to home -June 30, 2014, 12:39PM

Good tips! Another idea – get a kitten. I got one a couple weeks ago and it’s like an alarm I can’t turn off! Little Mabel has certainly been getting me out of bed earlier than usual, and I don’t hate it.

Alexis Oiler -June 30, 2014, 1:01PM

I love this list! We recently put together a morning playlist to ease us into the day (sans too much coffee!) We posted it on the Desired Reaction blog today for people to listen too! http://desiredreaction.com/monday-morning-playlist/

Julia -June 30, 2014, 1:03PM

Drinking a big glass of water before bed makes it much easier to wake up in the morning, since you really need to go to the bathroom. You kind of don’t have a choice :)

Ann -June 30, 2014, 3:09PM

I know it’s a weird habit, but I almost always have some song stuck in my head the moment I wake up, so what I usually do first thing is to turn on that song, and get myself up to finish the morning routine. Nice way to start a day, right?

Ivonne -June 30, 2014, 3:12PM

I agree with most of the above. I thinking peeing in the morning really helps, haha. These past few weeks, I had a roommate for an internship and she would always turn on the TV to the music channel when she woke up and I couldn’t help but dance my way out of bed. It was great.
And I like the clothes idea, i tend to make a mess of my clothes whenever i rush in the morning.
New idea? Yoga in the morning; even a small sun salutation helps my body wake up and my mind clear up.

Megan -June 30, 2014, 3:12PM

My mornings are pretty hectic and I tend to forget important things (like my purse) haha. But I’ve got a table that I’ve set up and I put things I will need for the next day sitting on that table. So I have to walk by it to get to the door and put my shoes on, it’s been kind of a life saver. I have my phone alarm set to a soothing tone so it doesn’t anger me awake lol.

Susan E. Hemann -June 30, 2014, 3:42PM

I get up at 6:00 every morning. One of my morning pleasures and something that always puts me in a good mood. I sit outside in my garden for a while. After all I spend so much time in the garden, I may as well enjoy it. I also do this after the sun has set but when it is still light out. A lovely, cool time of night. According to my son, this has been my ritual for as long as he can remember.

christina -June 30, 2014, 4:11PM

a tip my mom gave me a couple of weeks ago really helps me. leave your keys in the fridge next to what you need to pack for lunch. then you never forget your lunch at home!

daphne -June 30, 2014, 7:13PM

I wish my mornings were perfect like this everyday:)

Juliette Laura -June 30, 2014, 11:34PM

2 is something I need to do more, and 4 has been my go to for years. Great tips lady!

carol -July 1, 2014, 7:33AM

Leave your alarm away from your bed. = is so right and the worst jaja

tks…love this!

Anna -July 1, 2014, 9:14AM

Haha I love these tips and really have to try them because I’m late. Always. Sonds like it wold become better ;)

dani -July 1, 2014, 3:10PM

Picking out my clothes the night before is my #1 morning saver – along with packing my breakfast/lunch for the next day. Sometimes I get my coffee maker all ready to go, so that all I have to do is flip the switch when I wake up. It’s those little things that, when in place already, make it so much easier to adjust to the new day :)

<3 dani

jen Schreiner -July 2, 2014, 8:56PM

Great tips. I love the idea of having water nearby. Really kick start my day.

Brittany -July 6, 2014, 10:24PM

Awesome, helpful tips!

toni -October 22, 2014, 6:48AM

where is your phone case from? is is perfect! i constantly scroll etsy looking at wooden cases but cannot find one im in love with like yours