Stay inspired and dont miss a thing. Weekly updates from BLDG 25

Uses & Benefits Of Lemons

Post image for Uses & Benefits Of Lemons

UPDATE: This post originally ran on April 21st but we wanted to share the benefits of this amazing fruit again!

The lemon is such a kitchen staple. We use it to flavor our morning tea, to add a kick to a glass of water, and to liven up recipe upon recipe, but the lemon’s uses go far past just that. Today I want to shed some light on a few you might not be aware of — and I ask you to do the same! Here are ten of my favorite uses of lemons, and some benefits, too.

Lemon body scrub

1. As an exfoliator. Lemons are a natural exfoliant, meaning they help to slough off dead skin from the topmost layer, leaving your skin smooth and refreshed. I love concocting a homemade body scrub using olive oil, granulated sugar, and a little dash of lemon juice. You can use this as a lip scrub, too! Always be very careful when applying lemon to the skin, as it can cause irritation or photo sensitivity. Just a tad is all you need!

2. To lighten and brighten nails. Lemons are a necessary ingredient when giving yourself an at-home manicure. Add 4 tablespoons lemon juice and 2 tablespoons honey into a bowl of warm water, and soak your fingertips for about 5 minutes. For added brightness, follow by rubbing a lemon-soaked cotton ball over your nails a few times. Then rinse.

Bowl of lemons

3. As home decor. I love the way a bowl of lemons looks sitting atop a dining room table. I wouldn’t recommend buying lemons just to use as decor, but it’s a lovely added use for them in the interim before using them for something else!

4. To freshen breath. If you’re in need of a quick freshener and don’t have access to a¬†toothbrush, a lemon should do the trick! Simply swish a bit of water mixed with lemon juice in your mouth for 30 seconds, or chew on a lemon slice. Easy as that.
Lemon fennel face toner

5. As a face toner. Lemon is a refreshing ingredient to add to a face toner, like this awesome lemon fennel face toner. Just be sure to dilute it with enough water, as lemons can cause irritation or photo sensitivity.

6. To brighten your white clothes. Lemon is a great way to get the cleaning affects of bleach naturally on your white clothes. Just add a cup of lemon juice into your washing machine along with your normal detergent, and watch it work its magic.

Lemon water

7. To aid digestion and support immunity. Drinking a glass of warm lemon water first thing every morning does wonders for digestion and immunity, as well as to detox the body, and so much more. Read more about the benefits of lemon water here!

8. To eliminate odors. If you’ve got a strange smell in your refrigerator or other contained space, place a lemon peel or a lemon-soaked cotton ball in the area. The air will be refreshed in no time. Here are some other ideas for natural air fresheners, too!

Guac and lemons and chips

9. To keep your guac from browning. The citric acid in lemons can help slow the oxidation process in certain fruits and vegetables, so add it to your guacamole! I also like to soak apple slices in lemon juice before adding them to a salad for this very reason.

10. To highlight hair. Lemons have long been used as a way to bring out natural highlights in the hair. Here’s some more info on how to lighten hair naturally, and look out for Jana’s recipe for a natural hair lightening spray coming to the blog this week!

Lemons and tulips in bagWhat other ways do you use lemons? Do tell!

Follow FP Brigette on Twitter.

Tags: , , ,

JerseyJ -April 21, 2014, 7:40AM

You can use lemons for a face mask. Just cut a slice and rub all over your face and leave for 5 -10 minutes. It stings a little, but the acids are good for exfoliation and lightening discoloration.

Tanahya -April 21, 2014, 7:44AM

Every post you guys make is brilliant, favourite blog that I follow by miles. Thankyou for all the snippets of healthy advice and fun D.I.Y’s, im dying to try the flower resin phonecase! :) xx

TamarackAndKhus -April 21, 2014, 9:47AM

I like to add a whole Meyer lemon to my fresh juice mix- delicious!

Stacey -April 21, 2014, 9:49AM

I never knew that lemons could be used to combat bad breath or to freshen a stinky fridge. Awesome info! I often use lemon as part of a body scrub to.. I love it! Thanks for the awesome info!!

Taylor -April 21, 2014, 10:12AM
Merrill -April 21, 2014, 10:27AM

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do NOT use lemon on your face!!!! It can lead to a condition called Phytophotodermatitis (not good, Ladies and Gents). Our skin has a delicate barrier function that works best when pH is around a 4.5-5.5. Products and ingredients that are too acidic or too alkaline disrupt this barrier and make skin more prone to infections and breakouts. Lemon juice has a pH of 2, and, for comparison, gastric acid ( stomach acid) is 1. So we’re looking at a pretty acidic and low pH, which is why it burns/stings when you put it on your face. While it will exfoliate, you’re at a MUCH greater risk for irritation, burns and resulting hyperpigmentation or even scarring and permanent changes in skin texture.

Tiffany -April 21, 2014, 2:21PM

I use it to clean my microwave! Just slice up a half of lemon, microwave it for a minute and wipe clean! woila! Everything comes off so easy and smells great! Xx, Tiffany |

Reni -April 21, 2014, 3:56PM

Excellent! I will definitely be adding more lemons into my life. Thanks for the tips!

Lynette -April 21, 2014, 8:17PM

Beware that you don’t make sucking on lemons a daily habit or anything. Acid demineralizes your teeth and it can have an unfortunate affect on your dental health over time. Diluting the lemon juice is much safer. Source: husband is a dentist. Also, SIL did this (sucking on plain lemons) and it wrecked her teeth. She ended up needing veneers. A great natural, breath freshener is also parsley!

therese ercolani -April 21, 2014, 9:16PM

I like to use lemon essential oil in my water daily. Cleans the toxins out of the liver and kidneys. I also use it to make lemon sugar and salt scrubs and as a facial toner

Wonderain -April 22, 2014, 3:52AM

it seems that Lemon is popular all over the world….

Holly Beltran -April 23, 2014, 2:57PM

I did not know that about the guacamole! That is so awesome, I need to try that! Thank you for this awesome post. I loved it! Another way you can use it is cut a slice of lemon and put it in the garbage disposal! Helps a ton. Especially if you have a funky smell that you can’t get rid of.

Randi -April 23, 2014, 7:26PM

Love this. I use Lemons for some of those things but now I’m going to start doing more of these!

jaclyn -April 29, 2014, 2:07AM

I have been tricked to believe that too much lemon was bad for you. After this post I making my own scrub, using a breath refresher, detox, decoration, and highlighting my hair! LOVE this post!

check my blog:

Aubrey -June 25, 2014, 7:10PM

Lemons are far too acidic to use on your skin. It’s very, very, very, very bad for your skin. I can’t speak for the rest of the uses here, but do not use it on your skin. It’s extremely damaging.

johnna green -June 26, 2014, 9:19AM

here is a yummy lemon,cayenne,cucumber,ginger, and apple detox juice recipe

Tehmina -June 26, 2014, 9:57AM

My favorite way to have lemons is to drink a cup of warm water first thing in the morning with half a lemon squeezed in. x

Brooke -June 26, 2014, 11:21AM

It also enhances the bioavailability of green tea!

coco -June 26, 2014, 2:54PM

when life gives you lemons… make good use of them, because they’re rad!

Emily -June 26, 2014, 3:50PM

Always a staple for everything and anything!

-Emily |

Lusty Capuccino -June 26, 2014, 4:24PM

Great tips…specially because i have a lot of lemons in may garden :)

Lauren -June 26, 2014, 4:26PM

I also use it in my homemade surface cleaners. I didn’t know it could help your nails, i will have to try that!

Lauren |

Angie Wilson -June 26, 2014, 5:46PM

loved all these tips and tricks! thanks for sharing!

xx Angie | The Fashion Fuse

Marsya -June 26, 2014, 9:53PM

Lemons do have MANY benefits. I love drinking lemon water as they help me to lose weight. Anyway, great post <3 xo

Moriah -June 27, 2014, 9:06AM

So good to know! Lemon water is my favorite!

jessybrain -June 30, 2014, 8:52AM

Nice feature on lemons! Lemon contains antioxidants called bioflavonoids. Researchers think these bioflavonoids are responsible for the health benefits of lemon.

Sjoukje -July 20, 2014, 2:36PM

Beautiful post – I always drink about 4 litres of lemon water every day, it has been helping my skin to get smoother and I’ve also lost some weight! x

Elle -September 10, 2014, 5:05PM

I use lemons to clean my kitchen, bathroom counters, tables, etc. The acid in them suffices as a cleaner and it smells fab.

recovery tips -October 21, 2014, 2:26PM

Thanks for your marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading it, you happen to be a great author.
I will remember to bookmark your blog and will come back later on. I want to
encourage continue your great writing, have a nice evening!

Freshyvit -April 22, 2015, 6:06PM

drinks fresh, tasty and healthy and many health benefits