The Secret Symbolism Of Figs + A Recipe

Post image for The Secret Symbolism Of Figs + A Recipe

The last day of summer may still be far off, but a new season is upon us. It’s fig season: That short but sweet couple of weeks in late July when fresh figs can be easily found in markets, grocery stores, and for those of us lucky enough to see them grow locally, farmer’s markets. While figs may officially have two seasons — one short, mid-summer season, and one a bit later that runs longer into fall — this time of year is when I enjoy them most, sun-ripened and full of flavor, bursting with freshness.

Meaning of Figs

Figs are an ancient fruit, cultivated for centuries and celebrated for their intense nourishment (they’re full of fiber, copper, vitamin B6, and potassium) and regarded as a sacred symbol by many, an emblem even older than that of the fig tree. Let’s start with the seeds: Delicate, abundant, and edible, fig seeds signify universal understanding, unity, and truth. Think about all those tiny, jewel-toned specks, unified in their purpose of creating more life, a mass of purpose. Then, to the fruit itself, the tear-drop silhouette that fills your hand with slightly yielding softness. Figs are plentiful, their trees sprouting bi-yearly crop, so it seems only natural that the fig should connote just that: Abundance.

Considering their context, figs are the perfect thing to serve for gatherings when they are in season. I love to eat them plain, but the delicate flavor of this age-old fruit lends itself easily to all kinds of dishes, from sweet to savory. Today, I’m sharing one of my favorite ways to serve them: Fresh and topped with honey, goat cheese, and walnuts. Make a batch for your next summertime get-together to promote unity and understanding among your guests.

Meaning of Figs

meaning of figs

Fresh Figs Topped with Honey

What you need:

Fresh figs

Organic Goat Cheese

Organic honey

Walnut halves

Meaning of Figs

First wash and dry the figs thoroughly, then use a sharp kitchen knife to trim the stems and cut each one in half.

Meaning of Figs

Top each halved fig with a dollop of goat cheese and a walnut.

Meaning of Figs

Drizzle honey generously over the top and serve. Enjoy!

Meaning of Figs

What’s your favorite way to serve figs? Let us know in the comments!

Tags: , , , , , ,

Comments

rhiannon -July 28, 2014, 8:19AM
karina -July 28, 2014, 8:41AM

this makes me want to like figs! i like the earthy sweet taste, but the texture is too soft for me. (i’m weird with food textures). beautiful photos as always! this is my ultimate favorite blog to read. <3

Emily -July 28, 2014, 9:24AM

Beautiful! I make banana ice cream and top with tons of basil and figs (don’t knock it ’til you try it!) or toast with avocado and sliced figs. So creamy and delicious.

cristina -July 28, 2014, 9:45AM

favorite fruit!! i am one lucky girl cuz my grandma has had about 3-5 trees in her backyard for my entire life, and most of my family that loves them lives in other parts of the country so she’s constantly giving me bags and bags and bags full in late summer and early fall!! THE BEST! She gives me so many I can’t eat them all before they go bad, and they are GREAT frozen and added into smoothies! but warning, you have to eat the smoothies immediately, not made the night before for work or something because they will make your smoothie too thick to drink haha learned that the hard way…

Hypnotica Vintage -July 28, 2014, 9:53AM

Reminds me of this dreadful, dusty backcountry bus ride in the middle of nowhere south central India. Nothing around but bullock carts and scrubby trees… then these little boys got on the bus with giant bags of fresh figs. It was amazing and the figs were delicious.

fp julia -July 28, 2014, 9:55AM

Emily that sounds amazing.

Blaireq -July 28, 2014, 1:00PM

I was just eating figs for breakfast::: love when things come full circle

Sarah Loven -July 28, 2014, 2:58PM

I just love figs, thanks for reminding me they are finally in season! I have to hit up the market now to find some! <3

xx Sarah

Jana Shungu -July 28, 2014, 5:24PM

i’ve had figs on a prosciutto pizza. wonderful!

thought is love currency -July 28, 2014, 7:59PM

FIGS ARE MY FAVORITE FOOD!!!!!!!

Started tearing up when I found out the symbolism :)

love you figgies <333333

Alyson -July 29, 2014, 1:14AM

This makes me want to run out and buy figs. Thanks for the inspiration! I’ve always just enjoyed them plain or sundried this is really going to step up my game :)

Anonymous -July 29, 2014, 8:07AM

Try substituting the goat cheese for a smoked blue cheese. It will blow your mind! Also if the texture is not to your liking try fig jam! Goes great with Spanish cheese. R

crystal -July 30, 2014, 4:19AM

I like it , fantastic photo……