SHOP FREE PEOPLE

Weekly updates from BLDG 25

The Benefits Of Turmeric + How To Use It

Turmeric is a spice that has long sat on my spice rack looking lovely and golden, yet remaining largely unused. Recently however, I’ve been reading more and more about this exotic spice, which is thought to be one of the most beneficial and potent antioxidants in the world, and I’ve realized: It’s time to make turmeric a main ingredient.

With its warm yellow-gold color, earthy scent, and peppery taste, this beautiful spice is perfect for autumn, a time of year when we should all be boosting our immune systems and warming our bodies from the inside out. Native to India and other tropical Asian regions where it has been harvested for over 5,000 years, turmeric — which comes from the curcuma longa plant, a close relative to ginger root — is most notably used in Indian cuisine (usually in curries) and ayurvedic medicine, and while it’s long been known to be a healthful addition to recipes, recent studies have shown that Turmeric is a powerful healer – one that we can all benefit from.

Benefits of Turmeric

So, besides adding flavor and incredible color to your food, just what is so special about this spice? Turmeric contains bioactive compounds (chemicals found in certain foods that promote health) called curcuminoids, the most powerful of which is curcumin. Curcumin is, essentially, the antioxidant to end all antioxidants. Along with being a powerful anti-inflammatory compound that can bring relief to people suffering from joint pain, studies have shown curcumin to be anti-tumor, antibacterial, and antimicrobial, as well as being a powerful assistant in liver detox, because of this, turmeric has been used for centuries to promote healing of the stomach, gut, and liver.

Curcumin is tricky though, and it isn’t quite so easy as adding turmeric to your food to reap all the benefits of this antioxidant. To get the most out of turmeric, it is best to combine this autumnal spice with black pepper, which contains piperine (the compound that makes pepper so peppery) – piperine increases curcumin’s absorption by 2000%!

With the new season finally here, autumn is the perfect time to increase your intake of turmeric, and the easiest way to do that is with Turmeric paste. Keep this simple paste in your fridge and you’ll have the power duo of curcumin and piperine available anytime. I’m sharing the recipe below, along with a few ideas on how to take it, besides using it in your cooking:

Benefits of Turmeric

Turmeric Paste

Ingredients:

1/2 cup filtered water (not tap)

1/4 cup organic turmeric powder

1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Benefits of Turmeric

Turmeric stains easily, so if you’re wearing clothes you’d rather not ruin, I recommend wearing an apron. Add all ingredients to a small sauce pan and heat on medium-high, stirring constantly until the mixture forms a thick paste (about 5 minutes). Carefully transfer to a resealable glass container and store in the fridge for up to two weeks.

If you like the taste, you can take turmeric paste by the teaspoon as-is, or if, like me, you prefer it mixed into something, try the following:

Benefits of Turmeric 1

Golden Milk

Golden milk is a delicious way to take turmeric. Combined with your preferred milk turmeric boosts calcium absorption, while the added fat from the coconut oil aids in your bodies ability to absorb and reap the rewards of turmeric. This soothing drink is the perfect thing to incorporate into your nighttime routine to help promote a restful night’s sleep and boost immunity.

Ingredients:

1/2 – 1 tsp turmeric paste

1 cup milk (almond, soy, coconut, or dairy)

1 tsp coconut oil

Honey, maple syrup, or agave nectar to taste

Cinnamon or nutmeg to taste

Combine turmeric paste, milk, and coconut oil in a small saucepan and heat on medium high, stirring constantly to prevent the mixture from coming to a boil. Once heated, transfer to a mug and add the honey and cinnamon if using.

Benefits of Turmeric

Turmeric Tea

Lighter than the golden milk, this warming tea gives you all the benefits of turmeric and can even be enjoyed iced.

Ingredients:

1 tsp turmeric paste

2 cups filtered water

1 lemon wedge

Honey to taste

Combine turmeric paste and water in a small sauce pan and heat on medium-high, stirring constantly. Once heated, transfer to a mug and add lemon and honey to taste.

Benefits of Turmeric

Golden Smoothie

Enjoy this smoothie in the morning or after a workout to help replenish and restore.

Ingredients:

1 tsp turmeric paste

1 cup milk (almond, soy, coconut, or dairy)

1/2 banana

1 cup spinach

1 tsp melted coconut oil

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp ginger

1/4 tsp nutmeg

1 tsp chia seeds

1 tbsp protein powder (optional)

Honey, maple syrup, or agave nectar to taste

3 ice cubes

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend on high for 30 seconds. Transfer to a glass and enjoy!

Benefits of Turmeric

Do you have a favorite way to incorporate this spice into your daily routine? I’d love to know!

More healthy eating ideas from the BLDG 25 blog.

Follow FPJulie on Twitter!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Comments

Juliette Laura -September 24, 2014, 8:56AM

Tumeric rocks, love putting it in rice!

Amanda Nuri R -September 24, 2014, 9:34AM

Tumeric is really great in authentic curry dishes and with rice! So if you know how to cook curry, it’s a great seasoning.

wwwamandanuri.com

Zoe -September 24, 2014, 9:36AM

Love using turmeric in my cooking, cant wait to try out these recipes such interesting ideas.

Zoe

Alexandra -September 24, 2014, 11:06AM

Looking forward to incorporating this into my dishes! I love the color and all of the different recipes you provided. The best!

Warm Regards,
Alexandra

Alexandra -September 24, 2014, 11:08AM

I recently made a healthy popcorn topper where I incorporated turmeric and black pepper among other spices. It’s perfect for fall and a much better alternative to butter!

Allie || 6000 miles to home -September 24, 2014, 11:28AM

I do love turmeric but always forget about it – I love the idea of that beautiful golden smoothie! must try.

Sú talún -September 24, 2014, 11:29AM

Love turmeric. it is wonderful in rice and drinks. I also taste great with popcorn and bbq sauce, it has a lovely fall taste and great color.

Debbie Richards -September 24, 2014, 4:53PM

I have struggled with High Cholesterol for some yrs. Now. I was told at just 37. I am disabled with Epilepsy and now GRAVES Disease and gone thru Radiation to kill 5 nodules and the Graves itself. Eating correct is a struggle financially. BUT, I try my very best. My recent blood work now has my Collateral at 200. I was already placed on 1 STATIN and was given the warning signs to watch out for. Just 2 weeks later, I woke in excruciating pain and had to stop. My new doc has given me another to try. We talked about NATURAL ways. He finally said RED YEAST RICE would help, but not much. I am PRAYING that with all these qualities, that it will help lower my cholesterol levels too. I just bought some more recently. I had a tooth infection and read that mixing this, apple cider vinegar (I only had Rice Vinegar) cinnamon and honey into some water (paste would have been ALOT eaiser:)) and drink 2-3 xz a day. It worked QUICKLY:) I have also made a paste for dark circles. Works well too. Thank you for all the great recipes, the paste will be a great help.

Debbie Richards -September 24, 2014, 4:58PM

I just wanted to add that you are my folder of favorite Blogs love yours and look forward to learning much more,)

missreverie -September 24, 2014, 5:51PM

Being Asian and a lover of rice, turmeric is a kitchen staple. If I am not eating it through curry and vege stir-fry dishes, I am using it for my face. I mix turmeric, chickpea flour, coconut oil and water as needed to make a facial mask. Turmeric is cooling to the skin and it also helps to lighten scars and sun spots. It also acts as as gentle exfoliation for my face.I love this spice <3

missreverie | Fashionista NOW

Michelle Britton -September 24, 2014, 9:06PM

I love making Turmeric tea, I can’t wait to try making it with the paste. I’ve been drinking it to help with circulation in the winter and it works wonders! :) Thanks for the recipes!

Michelle | http://www.opentillfive.com/

Janet -September 24, 2014, 10:03PM

I toast a crumpet. Smear with peanut butter. Sprinkle 1 tsp each of turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, enough honey to cover all then stir it around starting at edges so it doesn’t run off crumpet. Or you can mix the dry ing evenly then put on top of crumpet befor adding honey on top then you won’t have to stir. It is very tasty. You can also put a few banana slices over all. Then eat it as you would a pancake. I love this. Have not tried black pepper. Have tried red pepper.

Aman -September 25, 2014, 2:08AM

hubbba hubba tumeric!
its very good for healing broken bones. just combine some in milk and drink up!
but make sure you get the organic turmeric because they usually put colour or four.
So just double check the labels.

miri -September 25, 2014, 1:36PM

I use turmeric when I have a sore throat. I mix a teaspoon of honey with a teaspoon of turmeric and eat it. It always helps:-)
XO
Miri

Louise -September 25, 2014, 4:10PM

So wonderfully simple to make this paste earlier today, a batch is now ready made? Golden milk makes THE most dreamy bedtime drink – thank you for sharing.
Namaste x

Anonymous -September 27, 2014, 2:48AM

scrub and mask,just mix with yogurt and honey

Anonymous -September 28, 2014, 10:53PM

How long can you store the Turmeric paste?

Jenny Ekberg -October 1, 2014, 12:09AM

I’m a neuroscientist, my colleagues James Johana and I do research on turmeric & the benefits for the nervous system. This stuff is dynamite

Calley -October 3, 2014, 12:34PM

Love the Golden Milk. I altered mine a little though. I minus the coconut oil & add ginger to the mix. Love it & thanks for sharing.

Gretrusso -October 4, 2014, 4:25PM

Have just made this, can’t wait to finally try this!

Katie M -October 5, 2014, 2:03PM

How long will unused turmeric paste keep fresh in the fridge?

Thank you for all these wonderful recipes :) The Golden Milk & Tea are perfect for the autumn.

Reema -October 9, 2014, 9:45PM

My mom makes this amazing dish for breakfast- you cook sliced tomatoes tumeric and oil and pepper in a pan. Then you serve them with scrambled eggs. They’re peppery and balanced by the buttery eggs. It makes a great breakfast sandwich too!!!!

sabrina -October 20, 2014, 5:48PM

Just made the golden milk. So comforting. Thanks!!

Ella -October 24, 2014, 1:23AM

That was the Bomb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ella -October 24, 2014, 1:24AM

(I meant the golden milk)……….SOOOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!

acnewitchhazel -November 5, 2014, 2:32PM

Good day I am so glad I found your blog page, I really found you by mistake, while I was browsing on Digg for
something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like
to say thanks for a tremendous post and a all round entertaining blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to look over
it all at the moment but I have saved it and also added
in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back
to read a lot more, Please do keep up the excellent
work.

Belmarra -November 11, 2014, 4:40AM

I am a huge fan of turmeric. Its a wonderful herbal remedy. I love drinking this before bed as it aids relaxation and helps boost the immune system while sleeping.

sherry -January 8, 2015, 3:22PM

Went to Maui for Christmas, my knees hurt the whole nine days, on plane ride home my feet and hands swelled. I bought some Tumeric root when I was there. Looked up on Pinterest what to do with it. found you. Ground it up with some ginger and made drink next morning. By noon swelling gone, and knees feeling good. With in two days no more knee pain…..I am astonished. Its been two weeks and I am having the tea every few days. My joints all feel better. I love this stuff, what a lucky find. Thanks

Micaela -January 13, 2015, 11:36PM

thanks so much for this recipe! I woke up with a horrible sore throat this morning and remembered reading this article so I had a few cups of the tea in the morning and made the golden milk at night! Both were so delicious and comforting. My throat even feels a little better too :)
I also added ginger to both of the recipes for an extra boost and some warming spice.

Sally Robertson on tumeric -February 7, 2015, 8:21PM

Thanks so much for this article. I appreciate your list of the benefits of tumeric. I have been taking a supplement of curcumin to help with my aging brain but I know it has many more health benefits.

Amy -March 24, 2015, 1:56PM

i just made the paste and its VERY liquidy, not a paste at all. Are we sure the ratio of turmeric to water is right??

fp julie -March 25, 2015, 10:04AM

Amy – You may need to cook it down more, the ratio is what I used to make the paste shown above. You could also add more turmeric, but it should be cooked down until most of the water evaporates :)

Knee Replacement Surgery -April 2, 2015, 8:19AM

Thanks Once again !!

Zaki Anwar MD -April 2, 2015, 8:24AM

its very best for health……….!

Erica -April 19, 2015, 1:33PM

Just made the paste and then the Golden milk. My boyfriend was just Dx with Crohn’s disease and we are hoping this helps with his symptoms as I do not want him to have to start Humira as the Dr is recommending. Thanks for your recipes and all that you do!!!

Mary -May 6, 2015, 11:29PM

Hi, can I use any turmic powder bought ijn the supermarket?

Roxie -July 8, 2015, 6:38AM

I have not been a fan of the taste of turmeric, so I have been making my own capsules. I have the “00” size and mix the turmeric and black pepper together and put them in the capsules. Works great!

Nena -September 19, 2015, 9:44PM

Erica, I would like to know how the did it help your boyfriend with Crohn’s disease.

Ref:
April 19, 2015, 1:33PM

Khadija @ Wannatalk2us.com -September 27, 2015, 4:03PM

Thank you for this post. I just made the golden milk. Going to drink it up and take a nap. It taste way better than I expected. Considering that there is pepper in it, I though I was not going to like it. However the bit of coconut oil makes all of the difference. I am sure if I added more honey this would be wonderful for children. Its like a yellow hot cocoa. mmmMMMMmmm Good.

I am about to make some tumeric tea -October 2, 2015, 1:27AM

I am a tea drinker and will be trying these recipes

tony -November 20, 2015, 6:34PM

Whole oats in milk, with a spoon of peanut butter and a spoon of golden paste, microwave for 3mins, stir and top with mixed berries…very tasty, low GI meal that keeps you full for many hours. Great for reduced joint pain too,t

Amanda -December 16, 2015, 6:39PM

Great info I am going to try a mixture of fresh pounded turmeric, ginger , black pepper in a mortar and pestle then add to melted copha, heat slightly then as it cools roll into small pill size balls shake them all in a bag of sesame seeds to cover then set in the fridge . I figure taken as a pill this will prevent the tumeric staining my teeth and the fat will help preserve the spices

daily vilar -January 20, 2016, 10:17PM

I used as a cream with olive oil and chickweed to remove a tumor in my shoulder an it works , the tumor is gone after a month of use every night.

Nancy -January 30, 2016, 10:56AM

So many good ideas in the article and the comments!! Currently we use turmeric in a “vinegar and honey” drink before dinner. I am hoping that a facial scrub as mentioned above may help with my rosacia. Amanda’s idea about “pills” gives me the idea to make a sort of turmeric candy/fudge to keep in the fridge. Thank you everybody!

Dutch -February 18, 2016, 3:24PM

I have some type of arthritis in every joint. The worst being osteoarthritis in my hips. My knees keep me awake at nights. Someone suggested turmeric. I started using it last night. I put it on graham crackers with peanut butter, not bad. This morning I sprinkled it over scrambled eggs that I topped with sauté veggies and a little left over spaghetti sauce. That was pretty good. Can’t wait to try the golden milk tonight.

Robyn -February 23, 2016, 6:50PM

Hi I have just made a batch of turmeric paste .

I have have FM and have had it for 4 years.
I now have an inflamed rib bones Costochondritis and the pain is unbelievable but improving
Fixes itself in 12 weeks.
I bought some turmeric caps 30 at 25 dollars idiot take caps as suggested I will have used them all in 4-5 days. I thought I can’t keep this up as the caps Redoid for FM S well.
Any way I made this paste this am and have applied to my R shin, my L shin does not have this pain.
Thanks, I would like to know how often should I renew the paste on my shin.?
I have pains in all my limbs so at this time I want to watch how long for improvement and if indeed this paste works. A y information would be great.

Robyn -February 23, 2016, 6:53PM

Robyn -February 23, 2016, 6:50PM
Hi I have just made a batch of turmeric paste .

I have have FM and have had it for 4 years.
Fixes itself in 12 weeks.
I bought some turmeric caps 30 at 25 dollars if i the take caps as suggested I will have used them all in 4-5 days. I thought I can’t keep this up as the caps for FM S well.
Thanks, I would like to know how often shouldI renew the paste on my shin.?

Source: The Benefits Of Turmeric + How To Use It http://blog.freepeople.com/2014/09/benefits-turmeric/#ixzz412RCYPkR

willie -February 25, 2016, 10:29AM

Ive realized the awesome benefits of turmeric. Ive discovered how this powerful spice can prevent many chronic diseases. But what amazes me the most about turmeric is that it may prevent the onset of Alzheimer disease. https://kangenukon.mlspsites.com/should-i-take-turmeric-supplements

Lori -March 10, 2016, 12:35AM

My husband is allergic to pepper, why do you have to use pepper with it? What else can I do?

fp julie -March 10, 2016, 11:19AM

Lori – The piperine in the black pepper actually helps to activate the turmeric, allowing your body to better absorb and reap its benefits by making it more bioavailable. You can leave the pepper out, but your body will metabolize most of the turmeric before it’s able to absorb it. I’d recommend talking to a doctor about alternatives :)

chris -March 11, 2016, 1:31PM

I believe ginger can be substituted for pepper. I’ve read black pepper, ginger, and a bit of fat all help with bioavailability.

fp julie -March 11, 2016, 2:19PM

Chris – Thank you!

Ralph -March 11, 2016, 9:10PM

Also take a look at using a clean, organic and healthy version of a curry blend which has loads of turmeric. This way you get great taste without the bitterness…. suggest checking out https://www.crownjewelspice.com/product/curry-masala/

Lisa -May 5, 2016, 9:02AM

I’ve been taking a turmeric supplement for a few mos now in addition to making a drink in mornings. I don’t believe I have not been reaping the benefits as I have not taken it with a healthy fat