SHOP FREE PEOPLE

Weekly updates from BLDG 25

What To Eat Before You Run: A Guide

For a long time, one of the most mystifying things about running to me — and exercise in general — didn’t even involve the action itself, it had to do with what you’re required to do before and after (and sometimes during) a workout.

I’m not talking about stretching or drinking water (although both are vital for a safe workout) … I’m talking about figuring out what to eat. There are a lot of myths and opinions surrounding what you’re supposed to eat before a run, the most common of which is the “carboload”: the idea that you should load up on a ton of carbohydrates like pasta before working out. Distance runners, marathoners, and tri-athletes may need to load up the night before a race, but the majority of us can actually take it pretty easy. The only thing that eating a big plate of pasta the night before a run will do is make you feel sluggish during the run itself.

So, what should you eat before a run? The answer to that largely depends on how long you plan to run for. In general, you’re looking to strike the right balance between just enough carbs to keep you energized, a small amount of protein to keep you full, and electrolytes to balance your fluids. If you’ve been feeling stumped, I’ve created these two graphics to help you pump up your pre-run food game:

run foods

If you’re planning to exercise for anywhere between 30 to 90 minutes, or between 1 and 4 miles, you’re probably ok as-is, so long as your stomach isn’t grumbling. If you run in the morning and don’t have time for breakfast before you go out the door (you should wait about 30 minutes to exercise after eating to avoid upsetting your stomach), try having half a banana and your morning cup of coffee or caffeinated tea. The banana will provide plenty of carbohydrates and potassium, which prevents muscle cramps and replaces the potassium lost through sweat, while the coffee provides energy and has been shown to aid in endurance.

If you prefer running in the evening, a small snack beforehand can help you get through your run and on to dinner. An hour before you go out, try two dried dates topped with nut butter, a slice of gluten-free or sprouted toast topped with a bit of honey, or a handful of berries.

run foods 2

For runs up to 90 minutes in length, or 5 to 7 miles, you’ll most likely want something more substantial (like the overnight oats below). That banana can now go from a half to a whole and be topped with almond butter, or try one of the combinations above. Longer runs require more fuel, which equals more electrolytes and carbohydrates. Have one of these small meals 30 to 60 minutes before you lace up your sneakers.

If your run is on the longer side, you’ll also likely want to stash a little extra fuel in your pocket in case you start to feel fatigued. Carb-rich foods like dried fruit are a great alternative to the processed snacks marketed towards runners (and can be easily transported), but you should find what works best to provide the boost of energy you need (I’ll admit to preferring natural fruit snacks for mid-run power).

run foods

For both short and long distances, go easy on protein which can upset your stomach and fiber which can weigh you down. What do you like to eat before a run?

Shop FP Movement Run.

More food posts from the BLDG 25 blog.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Comments

Yulia Yemelianova -September 15, 2014, 9:06AM

That’s a really helpful article!
I run in the morning (for 40 minutes) and I usually drink one cup of water and eat one fruit or three dates. It gives me enough energy.

Is It French? -September 15, 2014, 9:14AM

These are great tips that could be applied for any kind of workout actually. The most common misperception I find is the one that you should go running on an empty stomach, which can lead to fainting.

Alexandra -September 15, 2014, 9:32AM

I’ll be pinning & sharing this with my momma, an avid runner. I liked the bit about coffee, I’ve read that Victoria Beckham drinks an espresso then runs 3 miles every morning.

Warm Regards,
Alexandra

Liz -September 15, 2014, 12:05PM

I’m loving all the running related posts. I’m training for a half marathon, and keeping all of your tips in mind! Thanks for the article :)

Irene -September 15, 2014, 2:27PM

This is so helpful! I like to eat a banana before I run xoxo

Lizzy -September 15, 2014, 8:08PM

Such lovely illustrations. Thanks for the tips :)

Lizzy at Nomad Notebook

Chelsea -September 16, 2014, 12:21AM

Im loving these running posts! Very helpful and it kind of encourages me to go for a run!

xoxo!
Chelsea

Lauren -September 16, 2014, 1:15AM

Love this post, I usually eat most of those things before I run but I haven’t tried the chia pudding. Thanks for the new idea!

Maïa -September 19, 2014, 9:28AM

Thanks fo this post.
I never know what it’s good for my body when I go on a run.
I always eat bananas and granola but I think I’m gonna try the chia pudding !

x,
Maïa

Valerie - Selling Homes in Philly -October 8, 2014, 12:15AM

Thank you so much for this, Julie! I just start running, and have become so confused with all the contradicting things I’ve been reading about what to eat before and after a run. You just answered all my questions! Thank you! I’m definitely sharing this with my friends!

Mary -October 23, 2014, 9:11AM

All of these are very helpful tips. Thank you for sharing them.

Miss Brown -January 29, 2015, 2:56AM

I dont eat nothing in the morning and i never have any problems just drink lots a water the night before

Kinga -January 27, 2016, 2:06PM

Matcha and kale coctail with banana, apple, pear and fresh ginger!

Kathy -March 16, 2016, 6:49PM

I’m 5’1″ (yes tha inch is important ) 52 yr old female who weighs in at 120 lbs. I like to run 4 miles first thing in the morning. So as soon as I get up I make a shake made with: 1 oz fr. Spinach, 1 tbsp almond butter, 1 tsp flax powder, 1 tsp black chia seeds and a small banana. I drink it within 10 minutes of making it and i am out the door within 20 minutes. This may seem like a lot but it always gives me the energy to run the distance and alot of times more. I believe we have to really listen to our bodies after we run. You shouldnt feel famished after a short run you should feel energized. I always wait a good hour before I get more food in me.