I recently rid my diet of basically all grains and starches, and I’ve surprisingly been having such a fun time experimenting with making different kinds of breads using alternate types of flour.
This biscuits recipe is really quick and easy to make, so I thought I’d take it up a notch and add some pressed herbs on top. The result is the most adorable batch of biscuits you’ve ever seen. They also taste delicious and are super healthy. They do contain a lot of fat due to the coconut oil – but coconut oil is incredibly good for you, as long as you don’t overdo it.
½ cup coconut flour
⅓ cup golden flaxseed meal
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ cup melted coconut oil
Herbs of your choice – I used sage, thyme, and rosemary
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Drop in your herbs for about 3-5 seconds, and immediately transfer to a bowl of ice water.
3. Lay herbs flat onto a towel. Cover with another towel, and place a heavy object on top. I used a heavy wooden cutting board and an additional heavy piece of wood. Let sit for at least 10 minutes.
4. In the meantime, combine coconut flour, golden flaxseed meal, baking powder, and sea salt in a bowl, and mix well.
5. In a separate bowl, mix coconut oil and 5 eggs (save the 6th egg for later!) with a whisk until well combined.
6. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and mix well. Wait 1-2 minutes for the coconut oil to absorb all the liquid before moving on.
7. Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Form the dough into cylindrical shapes in the size of your choice. I used a ¼ measuring cup for mine, then spread them out a bit, slightly pressing each one into the cookie sheet. I then flipped them over – this way, they’re flat on top.
8. Whisk your final egg, and brush a small coat on top of each biscuit. Arrange your pressed herbs atop the biscuits, and finish with one more thin coat of egg.
9. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the bottoms of your biscuits begin to turn golden brown.
How lovely would these be for a brunch party? …Or a dinner party? …Or just general life, really. They’re the cutest. Don’t you think?