Curly hair is a beautiful thing. A beautiful thing that can sometimes have a mind of its own.
The best way to get advice on how to tame it? Turn to fellow curly-haired beauties who have effortless beauty down pat. Like my girl Stephanie. This beauty is the type of girl who is natural and effortless in every sense – and she just so happens to have one of the most gorgeous sets of curls I’ve ever laid eyes on. Take it away, Steph!
1. I wash my hair every other day. Well. Sometimes every other other day. My hair loves Trichomania, a hydrating solid shampoo from Lush that smells like coconuts and actual heaven. It’s so kind to curly hair!
2. Use a nice thick deep conditioner. Always. I leave conditioner in my hair for 3-5 minutes and use a very wide tooth comb to detangle and distribute the conditioner evenly through my hair, combing from ends up.
1. Wring your hair out with a cotton t-shirt or microfiber towel. This is probably my favorite curly hair saver! When I was in high school, I figured out wringing my hair out with a gentler material as opposed to rubbing my hair vigorously with a bath towel after a shower made a huge difference in the shape of my curls once they dried. Which speaking of drying….
2. Air-dry whenever possible! I avoid heat as much as I can. But sometimes, I sleep through alarms. So a little heat help becomes necessary. When it does I…
3. Blow dry with a diffuser. Usually only about half way and then let the rest air dry. The goal is to work with my curls because fighting them or trying to do anything other than embrace their wild nature is an uphill battle. One of my favorite things to do in the free spirit of owning curly hair is….
4. Flip your head over and blow dry (with a diffuser) upside down. Holy volume!!! I love big giant hair and this trick gets me like no other.
1. Moroccan oil and post-shower conditioner are my ride or die. If my hair is wet, I go with oil. If my hair is dry and just needs a little oomph, I take the tiiiiniest bit of conditioner to my palms and scrunch it into my hair. Sometimes, I’ll fill a spray bottle with water and a little conditioner, shake it up, and spritz my hair all over if I have that kind of time.
2. Bobby pins + claws instead of elastics! My hair just looks and feels happier when it’s not all knotted up with a hair-tie. Like it gets a bonus bounce when I let it out of the pins instead of falling kind of limp when I let it out of an elastic choke-hold. My hair game also took a giant level-up when I recently learned bobby pins should be inserted wavy side down. Doh! Never knew.
3. Curling wands can transform your life. Seriously. If any part of my hair looks lifeless, I’ll wrap a little bit of hair around a curling wand for a few seconds, let go, and separate the curl so it blends in with the rest of my hair. I don’t do this to my entire head because this random styling creates a naturally fabulous look that I’m in love with.
4. Mid-day scalp massages rule everything around me. I like to flip my head over and use the pads of my fingertips to massage my scalp when my hair starts to feel heavy or like it needs to be woken up. I try to avoid touching my curls throughout the day but always make an exception because when I flip my head back over after giving my head a little massage, I feel so refreshed + my hair looks & feels revived. :)
A huge thank you to Stephanie for sharing with us her hair, her face, her words… and that adorable illustration you see above!
More beauty tips from the BLDG 25 Blog.