some more touching stories from merrie, re: her travels in india…
“these are some pics we took last monday while visiting a school on ‘baas,’ a small village outside delhi.
the school was created 2 years ago in an area where the children have no access to a good education. its founder was the naval attache for the british high commission in india years ago, who ended up staying in india with his wife. together, they built an amazing home which they have opened as a guesthouse (bed and breakfast) for tourists.
it was fascinating to hear his stories of what he has been through with the indian government and the villagers while trying to help the children, but he perserveres, undaunted…amazing ‘chap.”
these pics are from the morning assembly they were having…all the children lined up singing songs and dancing with their music teacher (“mary had a little lamb,” etc.).
when i popped my head in to take a peek, all the children stood up, unprompted by their teacher, and greeted me with “good morning madame”. very sweet.
martin offers internships to english-speaking students to expose the children to other accents, etc. when we were there, a young girl from britian was just finishing up her month spent with the children. it was very emotional for her to leave, as the children performed their songs for her farewell…”
our creative director doub sent us this pic last night…she’s in l.a. with our image team working on the next catalog, but met up with one of our vendors during her travels. she snapped him doing some metallic heat-sealing…
want to know more about heat-sealing? we just might have a little how-to for you in the next week or so… :)
we’ve had 7 interns with us at the home office this summer…most of them are heading back to school now.
allie worked on our planning team. see below…she learned so much while she was here!
things i have learned this summer:
• contrary to my suspicions, ap physics actually DOES come in handy in the real world. understanding “velocity” is crucial to becoming an accomplished planner or allocator.
• WTF does not stand for “what the ****!”…it stands for We The Free
• i have learned to proficiently read without vowels. for example, “hey jamie. how are you allocating that L/S SLD VNK XTRM BTTNDWN MNSWR B/D PCKT TNK? i really like it”
• planners like numbers so much that they have made a numerical equivalent for almost every word used in the retail world.
• IT is your best friend
• ProClarity is your worst
• make mistakes, it’s how you learn. however, make the same mistake twice, shame on you.
• be open to new opportunities. don’t turn your nose up at something until you are fully educated about it.
• incorporate design into all aspects of your life. be creative, be influential, and let yourself be open to influence.
• have energy and stay inspired.
• never settle for anything less than your dream job because…
• success and happiness are interchangeable.
We’re intrigued by fashion everyday – it stimulates, inspires, and influences everything we do. We’re always looking for the freshest trends and the newest movements in street style and boho fashion, and we constantly fuel our ideas with the best from fashion culture.