We have an adorable visitor today… Naomi’s pup Abigail :)
homemade bagels at a goodbye party for our graphic designer…he is leaving us to go to grad school and we’re going to miss him very much :(
We’re sending him off with a book of inspirational quotes :)
And in his honor, here’s a highlight from his time here at FP – who remembers Dog Talk?!?
Lots of fun stuff going on in our Free People stores this weekend! Here’s the low-down:
Free People Arlington is having a Halloween Party Saturday 10/15 from 10am – 9pm!
Special Halloween snacks will be available in-store throughout the day and DJ Whiskey Sherpa will perform from 6-9pm!
With any purchase of an orange, black, or “ghostly” white item, shoppers will be entered to win a raffle. Prizes include a Free People gift basket full of goodies like a Nylon mag subscription, nail polish, candy and a Free People gift card! Lastly, anyone who “likes” the store on the day of the event will be automatically entered to win a gift card :)
For more info check out their facebook page.
Stop by our Studio City store on Saturday 10/15 between 11am and 5pm and help support rescued animals in their search for a good home! Bring your pup and receive a free goodie bag for the little one – and with every purchase your dog gets a handmade scarf from the Free People Studio City team and you will be entered to win a special GRAND PRIZE!!! Details to come:)
Lastly, support another great cause at our Portland store this weekend! All day Saturday 10/15 get 15% off your entire purchase for all customers wearing pink in support of Breast Cancer Awareness – and you will also earn a raffle ticket! Spend $300 or more and you’ll also earn a raffle ticket. 3 raffle winners will get baskets full of handmade goodies from our store team! There might be some pink hair dying going on as well ;)
Visit their facebook page.
The lovely and creative Geneva of A Pair and a Spare contributed this amazing guest post for our blog!
Fishtail skirts have dominated the recent SS12 runways and are oh so sexy. What better way to jazz up a thrifted skirt than by creating your own fishtail style? Follow my steps below, it’s incredibly simple!
A thrifted skirt (I picked one with some subtle pleating)
A pair of scissors
needle and thread
1. Put your skirt on and mark where you want the front, and shortest, part of the skirt to finish.
2. Take the skirt off and fold in it half down the front of the skirt – so rather than the back and front lying against each other, it’s the two sides that face each other – the way you might fold trousers before you put them on a coat hanger. Make sure the fold is directly in the middle of the front of the skirt.
3. Lay the skirt on the floor and cut out the front of the skirt – you want a straight line for the first 30cm or so to create the mini part of the skirt, then tapering down to the back and bottom of the skirt.
4. Try the skirt on to see if the cut out is big enough. I did this a few times, cutting more away to suit what I wanted it to look like. It’s always best to take this part slowly and do small amounts at a time.
5. Once you have a cut out that you like, fold over the edge of the skirt about 1cm and iron. You may want to double over twice but my skirt was made out of a fabric that didn’t fray too badly so once was enough.
6. Sew a small stitch all the way around the hem.
7. Iron flat again.
Voila! All done.
Now wasn’t that simple? I absolutely love how this style moves around when you walk! Now that I’ve tested the process I’m going to make a few different coloured versions too.
Amazing!! thank you so much Geneva!
Trending on FP.com:
I love you Jeff Tweedy.
Another fun Free People store event going on this weekend! Our Farmington store is celebrating Columbus Day Weekend with a Fall Fashion event. Spend $150 or more and get a beautiful limited edition Shibori dyed Free People bag – And, register your bag number on the facebook page after the event for a chance to win a gift card!
Free People Suburban Square is hosting a Fall Festival this weekend! Starting Friday at 3pm and ending Sunday at 5pm, they will have fun stuff going on all three days so if you’re in the area make sure you stop by!
Cape Wrath will be performing Friday Night, and Phil Hunt’s Photo Booth will be around Saturday with a custom-built Free People Photo Booth!
All weekend long, make your own friendship bracelets and dream catchers at their DIY Stations and enjoy yummy cupcakes from Cupcakes Gourmet!
And, don’t forget to enter their raffle for a chance to win one of the beautiful rope swirl tapestries from our store displays :)
Sounds like so much fun! RSVP on Facebook event page.
One of my favorite moments ever from the show Planet Earth. It kills me every time!
It’s midnight meaning it’s October calendar time!
Go to our flickr page to download the large size in regular or widescreen!
Calling all artists, fashion, and design junkies!! Do you love to create inviting atmospheres? Do you constantly add touches of detail to transform a space? Do you understand the Free People brand thoroughly and love the aesthetic, constantly trying to recreate it in your own world?
Free People is looking to hire a District Visual Manager for its Wholesale division to manage all aspects of merchandising for their specific region. The role requires a highly motivated, energetic, and organized individual, who can drive sales through creative ideas and analysis of what works.
Role & Responsibility:
Training and Development:
- Educate and motivate sales associates, specialists and management in each store within the region about the product, sales goals and merchandising objectives
- Build the Free People Clientele through customer service and leading by example in the Free People Shop
- Train associates on how to build multiple sales and use the directives as a guide for putting key looks together
- Merchandise the floor space to reflect the Free People Corporate image based on the current trend of the season
- Communicate and establish effective relationships with visual managers, merchandise managers, selling managers and sales staff to create the Free People Image
- Utilize and pass out visual lookbooks and directives to ensure our images are being recreated within the department store environment
- Consistent communication with store management regarding floor space, numbers analysis, selling events and review of specialist performance
- Analyze and communicate weekly goals to each store of responsibility
- Review allocations to your individual stores and communicate any issues
- Submit competitive recaps and detailed weekly recaps
- Conduct seminars with stores on a quarterly basis
New York, NY US
For more info and to apply, click here.
We had a fun visitor in the office last week – our creative director and art director met Ronen Verbit in New York and loved him so much they brought him down to our home office for a day! If you aren’t familiar with Ronen you should check out his videos – they are so clever and unique. Here’s one that we got a kick out of!