It’s easy to see why this week’s style file landed a job as Free People’s intimates designer. She won’t just look at a piece as something to be worn underneath your clothing, but she also has the creative mind that can look at it in different contexts, and style it in completely unexpected ways that work. Her everyday wear mixes great intimates pieces – think slips, lace, and bloomers – with more conservative pieces and funky accessories. Her style borders the line between graceful beauty and edgy tough girl. It’s that deep understanding of intimates, and amazing ability to style them in a variety of ways, that explains perfectly why this is her area of expertise.
Her mom gave her this gorgeous vintage night gown. I think it might be one of the most beautiful pieces I’ve ever seen.
I love to hear the meaning and stories behind the little things people keep at their desks. Everyone’s desk space here is so unique and full of tiny, fascinating details. Here’s a look at the Free People office coordinator’s desk top!
1. The headphones were actually a Christmas present from my father last year. They help when I’m looking for new store music!
2. This little giraffe statue was given to me by our creative director. She’s having a baby (!) and gave away little things after she baby-proofed her home.
3. This is a photo of my friend/coworker. His last day is on Friday (he’s going to grad school) so I snagged it off his desk so I can still see him every day.
4. It’s a pin that says, “Happiness is a warm puppy”. I bought it from a thrift store, it makes me smile :)
5. A photo of my little kitten, Walker <3
6. A piece of my mom’s artwork that she did in college. Unfortunately, artistic ability is not hereditary.
7. A Swedish wooden horse my grandparents brought back from their visit to Sweden.
8. As the office coordinator, people often come to me asking for candles when they have office parties, so I keep them at my desk.
9. I get migraines all the time! My mom sent me this holistic Migraine Tonic recently- hopefully it works! (fingers crossed)
10. Worry doll- I think this came off of a cupcake from an old office party. They remind me of my childhood.
11. Photo of Audrey Hepburn- She’s one of 11 women I have hanging above my desk as my eyebrow inspiration #dontjudgeme
12 . One of our first round discs for a store mix cd
13. This finger puppet needed a home, so I adopted it.
The fashion blogger and creative researcher here at Free People is a little pixie with amazing style. Using her sharp British eye she blends rich colors and details, and always knows how to style vintage pieces in a way that strays from dowdy. She’s one of those select few who can pull of a vintage floral-print jumpsuit and make it look modernly chic. She rocks the borrowed from the boy look with nostalgic touches of corduroy, elbow patches, and canvas – keeping her silhouette streamlined, but relaxed. A lot of her clothes she either makes herself or she’s picked up on a vintage store run. And then there are those pieces it seems that she is religiously attached to. You can almost bet she’ll have on her black lace-up walking boots and silver rings. They seem to go with everything she wears, always adapting to the spirit of each outfit.
There’s something so hot about denim. The laid back approach to style has always been a favorite of mine. It’s never over or under dressed, you look casual and cool, but fashionable and chic at the same time. Denim just never looks bad…
Check out how we’re styling it here at the home offices this week.
A few weeks ago I told you about a little installation we started in our lobby. Well most of our objects have been hung by now and it’s so fun looking at them and trying to guess what belongs to who! Here’s a little peek at some of the things we love about our jobs :)