I came across these incredible moving net sculptures on Honestly…WTF and couldn’t believe my eyes! Artist Janet Echelman collaborates with local engineers and architects to install her sculptures made of machine and hand-woven UV resistant fibers. The sculptures react to their surroundings, moving fluidly with the wind and making them look like bizarrely beautiful sea creatures!
I know that sending somebody a handwritten letter might sound like a cliché DO, but it really is one of those special things in life. There’s nothing like receiving a letter in the mail that somebody took the time to write and send you. It’s such a heart-felt gesture. I don’t know about you, but I keep almost every letter anybody has ever sent me. These notes have sentimental value. It’s fun to look back and read them; I can only imagine how happy I’ll be to have them when I’m old and wrinkly. Spend some time and let somebody know that you miss them, how much you love them, or just catch them up on what’s new. Package it up prettily, and then send it off the old snail mail way. They’ll be so happy to open it up when it arrives. It will become a part of their memories that lives forever.
We’re already missing summer and longing for a trip down under! But since we can’t travel to the other side of the world for free, we can at least ship there for free :) Starting today Free People is offering free shipping and 10% off on all orders over $100 to Australia and New Zealand through November 1st!
Lots of fun stuff going on in our Free People stores this weekend! Here’s the low-down:
Free People Arlington is having a Halloween Party Saturday 10/15 from 10am – 9pm!
Special Halloween snacks will be available in-store throughout the day and DJ Whiskey Sherpa will perform from 6-9pm!
With any purchase of an orange, black, or “ghostly” white item, shoppers will be entered to win a raffle. Prizes include a Free People gift basket full of goodies like a Nylon mag subscription, nail polish, candy and a Free People gift card! Lastly, anyone who “likes” the store on the day of the event will be automatically entered to win a gift card :)
Stop by our Studio City store on Saturday 10/15 between 11am and 5pm and help support rescued animals in their search for a good home! Bring your pup and receive a free goodie bag for the little one – and with every purchase your dog gets a handmade scarf from the Free People Studio City team and you will be entered to win a special GRAND PRIZE!!! Details to come:)
Lastly, support another great cause at our Portland store this weekend! All day Saturday 10/15 get 15% off your entire purchase for all customers wearing pink in support of Breast Cancer Awareness – and you will also earn a raffle ticket! Spend $300 or more and you’ll also earn a raffle ticket. 3 raffle winners will get baskets full of handmade goodies from our store team! There might be some pink hair dying going on as well ;)
I first became familiar with Christopher’s work through his girlfriend’s blog, and I’m hooked! I love the candidness of his photos and how they serve as a visual diary of his life.
Shoots with:Over the years I have used a few different camera’s. I use a Canon SLR for most of my photographs, however I love shooting in 35mm more recently. I also have some vintage cameras that are over 30 years old. My secret weapon is disposable cameras.
Favorite Subject: My girlfriend. She is also a great photographer, so when we go away or spend the weekend together, we like to take photos. It’s great to be able to look back at experiences you shared together and have some cool snaps.
Inspired by: My father used to be a semi-professional photographer in the 70’s, and he has taught me much of what I know. I would say he has been a big influence. Aside from that, I am easily inspired by the blogs I revisit, as well as my friends and family.
I love to hear the meaning and stories behind the little things people keep at their desks. Everyone’s desk space here is so unique and full of tiny, fascinating details. Here’s a look at the Free People office coordinator’s desk top!
1. The headphones were actually a Christmas present from my father last year. They help when I’m looking for new store music!
2. This little giraffe statue was given to me by our creative director. She’s having a baby (!) and gave away little things after she baby-proofed her home.
3. This is a photo of my friend/coworker. His last day is on Friday (he’s going to grad school) so I snagged it off his desk so I can still see him every day.
4. It’s a pin that says, “Happiness is a warm puppy”. I bought it from a thrift store, it makes me smile :)
5. A photo of my little kitten, Walker <3
6. A piece of my mom’s artwork that she did in college. Unfortunately, artistic ability is not hereditary.
7. A Swedish wooden horse my grandparents brought back from their visit to Sweden.
8. As the office coordinator, people often come to me asking for candles when they have office parties, so I keep them at my desk.
9. I get migraines all the time! My mom sent me this holistic Migraine Tonic recently- hopefully it works! (fingers crossed)
10. Worry doll- I think this came off of a cupcake from an old office party. They remind me of my childhood.
11. Photo of Audrey Hepburn- She’s one of 11 women I have hanging above my desk as my eyebrow inspiration #dontjudgeme
12 . One of our first round discs for a store mix cd
13. This finger puppet needed a home, so I adopted it.