Oh, Nutella. It’s rare that one can resist that unique nutty, chocolate flavor. One taste on the bud and I’m immediately taken back to a trip spent in western Europe, where this heavenly spread seems to be loved even moreso than here in the states.
I recently stumbled across this recipe for Nutella Milk, and — without the slightest hesitation — wrote down the ingredients. I knew I had to make it. I added one slight alteration to turn this into a drinkable delight for our vegan friends. So, without further ado, here is your recipe for a vegan beverage that has an uncanny resemblance to The Original Hazelnut Spread. :)
2 1/4 cups raw hazelnuts
5 cups water
1.5-2 cups vegan chocolate chips (I used SunSpire Vegan Carob Baking Chips)
1. Place your hazelnuts in a large bowl with about 4-5 cups of water and let soak overnight.
2. In the morning, drain the hazelnuts and place them in a blender with 5 cups of water. Blend until smooth.
3. Strain your fresh hazelnut milk using a cheese cloth. You’ve just made your own hazelnut milk!
4. Heat the hazelnut milk over medium-low heat, stirring often.
5. Pour the chocolate chips into the milk, a little at a time, stirring on low heat until melted and well mixed.
6. Remove from heat, allow to cool, and enjoy! Store in an airtight container the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
More recipes from the BLDG 25 Blog.
Follow FP Brigette on Twitter.