Well, 11 simple steps…
This post comes from our blog intern, Emily.
The ONE thing I would encourage everyone to do to better their health, including my own, is… drink more water. I am addicted – it’s my rescue, it’s the one thing that always has my back. If I am feeling off, it’s usually because I haven’t had enough water. And I believe that’s true for most people, whether they know it or not.
I carry a large (1.5 L ) water bottle with me, and refill it 2-3 times a day. It is big, and it is heavy, but I’ve gotten used to it…because it’s worth it to be hydrated. My friends sometimes wonder why I bring my water with me everywhere…
Because water is my everything.
We all know that water is good for us, but there are many people throughout my circle who drink no more than one glass daily — that is some seriously crazy sh*t. You should be drinking at least 8-10 glasses a day.
Water is the cure for many health issues we currently encounter. Staying hydrated can improve your digestion, your skin, headaches, allergies, immunity, inflammation…literally everything.
I challenge you to drink 1-2 liters of purified water for the next 10 days, and monitor how great you feel. Here’s how to make it a habit:
- Make it the first thing you do in the morning. Try to drink 1-2 glasses of room temperature water each morning before anything else. Follow up with warm lemon water for an alkalizing, metabolism boost!
- Drink a glass of water after every bathroom break. When you get up from your desk, return with a sip of water!
- Use a straw. For me, drinking with straws helps my beverage to disappear before I can blink. Don’t know what it is, but straws are effective and I like it!
- Invest in a good water filter and water bottle. Drinking clean, purified water is the best way to go, and make it more enjoyable by picking out a water bottle you like. Then keep it on you at all times. Have a full water filter on the kitchen counter, nearby, or at your desk to make it easier for you to reach for the good stuff.
- Eat your water. Eat more fruits and vegetables that are primarily comprised of water like cucumber, celery, watermelon, radish, lettuce, citrus and bell peppers.
- One for one. Each time you have a soda, juice or alcoholic beverage, drink a glass of water. (This is a big one.)
- Set/make reminders. Notes for yourself on the mirror, the fridge, the door. Or get an app that tracks your daily intake and reminds you to drink water!
- Infuse. Lemon is amazing. Try cucumber and mint in your water. Infuse your water for added nutrients and flavor.
- Drink sparkling mineral water. If you’re a soda fan, this might be an easier way to cut down on soda and drink more H2O.
- Eat spicy foods! I’m always reaching for more water when I eat spicy foods.
- Set a goal for each day and be mindful. Make progress. You’ll start to see how good you feel.
+How do you keep up on your water intake? What helps you stay hydrated?