4 Tricks To Make Perfume Last All Day

Post image for 4 Tricks To Make Perfume Last All Day

I love perfume. I think it’s so cool to have a signature scent that adds to the ambiance of who you are, and one that people remember you by. Scent is the most powerful memory trigger. Just one small trace of a scent can take your mind right back to a specific place, event, person, or period of time. A few months ago I discovered Florence by Tocca, and I’ve worn it every day since. When I move on to my next scent, whenever that may be, this scent will always bring me back to where I am in my life right now.

The issue I have with perfume, though, is that I can never seem to make the scent last all day. I get a beautiful whiff when I apply it in the morning, but the scent diminishes as the hours go by, and soon enough it seems to disappear altogether. I went on a mission to solve this problem, and found out that I’d been doing it all wrong! There are a bunch of things you can do to make that gorgeous scent of yours last all day. Here’s how:

1. Moisturize that skin.

Lotion and perfume

If you have naturally oily skin, you’re in luck — a scent will last much longer on you. For those of you with dry skin, find out if your scent comes in lotion form, and use that first for maximum scent capacity. If it doesn’t come in a lotion, first use an unscented moisturizer on damp skin wherever you plan to apply your scent.

2. Apply to pulse points.

Where to apply perfume

Heat is what activates perfume. The pulse points on your body (where your heart rate can be felt) are the best spots to apply a scent, due to the warmth of your blood. Some such points are located behind your ear, at the bottom of your throat, on your wrist, inside your elbow, and behind your knee.

3. Don’t rub.

Don't rub perfume

After applying a fragrance, many people feel a need to rub it in in order to warm the skin or spread the scent. This is a big mistake! Rubbing a perfume breaks down its molecules, diminishing the scent into thin air.

4. Store it the right way.

Storing perfume

Heat, light, and humidity can all break down the compounds in a perfume, causing it to be less fragrant. To keep your scent at its best, store it in a cool place, away from direct sunlight. Make sure to keep it out of the bathroom, as the heat and humidity from showers and baths could damage it greatly.

Do you have any tricks for making perfume last longer? Let us know! And while you’re at it, tell us what your signature scent is. :)

Follow FP Brigette on Twitter.

More beauty tips from BLDG 25.

Tags: , , ,

Comments

meg -July 18, 2013, 9:01AM

I had no idea you spray perfume in so many areas.
I will now smell nice all day!

Juliette Laura -July 18, 2013, 9:16AM

Oh perfect! I have been wondering about a few of these. Definitely will try these!

xoxo
Juliette Laura

Olivia -July 18, 2013, 10:05AM

I love to spray three or four spritz’s into my closet and onto my clothes about once a week, it makes my clothes smell so good, and I find the smell last longer on me whenever I do this, then I spray my self. I love ma petite cherie by Annick Goutal. Super over priced, but it smells like green apple :)

Amanda -July 18, 2013, 10:45AM

Florence by Tocca has been my signature scent for the past three years. I absolutely LOVE it! I have tried to find another scent to move on to, but nothing compares.

Mary -July 18, 2013, 11:28AM

Cleopatra by Tocca is my favorite scent! Great advice!

Rosy -July 18, 2013, 12:27PM

I keep my perfume in the fridge, it works last longer

Katie -July 18, 2013, 12:54PM

I spray perfume on my hair while it’s still damp. I usually flip my head upside down and spray it on the underside of my hair, close to the base of my hairline. It’s such an easy trick that leaves my hair smelling amazing for hours and hours!

Tabitha -July 18, 2013, 4:15PM

I don’t have a signature scent – I wear perfume based on how I feel that day and I sometimes collect perfume based on how much I love the bottle! No matter what, my fragrances MUST be cruelty-free. I won’t buy a perfume that was tested on animals. I have a lot of LUSH Cosmetics Gorilla Perfumes, and they are by far my favourite. If I had to pick a signature, it’d be LUSH Cosmetics’ limited edition American Cream perfume – the same scent as my favourite conditioner.

Becca -July 18, 2013, 4:44PM

You can also mix some of your perfume with unscented lotion to make a DIY lotion :) viva la juicy all the way! Xx

Mona -July 18, 2013, 9:31PM

a spritz or two of perfume in your hair brush will also keep your hair smelling lovely all day!

Avion -July 18, 2013, 10:14PM

Always wanted to know how to make the scent last. Thanx for the info.

Neena -July 18, 2013, 10:22PM

Also, spray the ankles, it’s a subtle way to introduce yourself before you enter the room. :) And keep your perfume in a cool place.

Anonymous -July 18, 2013, 10:53PM

Clarins Sunshine is a great scent for summer (I wear it all year round!) as it doesn’t attract bees. The matching lotion also has serotonin in it!

Pamela -July 18, 2013, 11:38PM

My Momma taught me many years ago how to wear perfume. (She loved to keep up with fashion magazines and the ladies–Marilyn Monroe, Katherine Hepburn, etc.) I have people tell me that I always smell nice. My skin is dry so I use Coconut Oil after showering on my still damp skin. Then I lightly towel dry. The oil doesn’t really leave a scent so my Juicy Couture stays all day with me, even after work. I do spritz some under my arms too as I use natural products for deodorant. And sometimes, for a little more added effect, a slight mist in the air just above my hair–not too much though–just a hint.

anastacia -July 19, 2013, 12:33AM

I love perfume. My all time favorite scents are Miss Dior Cherie and Chloe. Such timeless, feminine scents.

Portia -July 19, 2013, 4:11AM

Hi there,
Great article! A couple of things though:
1) Don’t put perfume behind your ears because often it is exudes a funky scent that can wreak havoc with your expensive fragrance. Put it under your ears on your neck for the pulse pointt or into your hairline at the back of your neck, every time you flick your hair you will waft.
2) The Moisturiser tip is excellent. You can also use a non perfumed moisturiser and squirt in some perfume before you apply, this gives a beautiful, slow release wash of fragrance from a whole arm or decolletage.
3) Another great way to give your skin good fragrance stickability is two drops of olive oil in your bath, it feeds and moisturises, and also gives a good grab for fragrance.
I hope this helps,
Portia x

Sophie Milan -July 19, 2013, 5:39AM

I’m gonna keep in mind your pointers here, bella! It’s also my problem with my current perfume. And I’m quite reluctant to spend so much money for the more expensive ones. All the other comments are also of much help. Thanks!

Irene -July 19, 2013, 7:37AM

another trick:

if your perfume comes in a spray bottle, also spray it on your hair (as if you “create” a bridge with it and then you just “walk” under it) and then comb your hair with your hands so it arrives to everywhere. if the perfume doesn’t come in a spray bottle, put some in your hands, rub them and just touch the ends of your hair).

I know that to “rub” the perfume breaks the molecules, but in that case you put perfume ON your body (the places you say are the ones I already know, except the knees one) but this is just for a “plus”, and your hair keeps the scent better than your skin and whenever you walk, your scent goes behind you :)

Bonnie -July 19, 2013, 9:25AM

Another trick if you don’t want your perfume to conflict with “other” people…spritz (most if not all perfumes come in spritz bottles) in front of you, and walk through!!!

Honey -July 19, 2013, 9:37AM

Great tips!!! I love wearing Poivre Samarcande ->> and will definitely be using these tricks! I also loved the comment about putting some into your hair (my husband will love that!).

Stefanie -July 19, 2013, 11:24AM

Oil based perfumes last longer than alcohol based perfumes! Always a great secret to know when looking for your next signature scent!

Virginia -July 19, 2013, 12:48PM

Applying to the inside of the elbows ABSOLUTELY works. It’s better than the wrists. It also helps to get some on your clothes, some perfume clings to fabric better than skin.

Julenecakes -July 19, 2013, 2:47PM

Great tips! You can apply perfume to your ankles too. :) I’ve tried hundreds upon hundreds of fragrances looking for my signature and I’ll share a couple of the best perfumes I’ve ever tried. If you’re into vanilla fragrances, the absolute Holy Grail of vanilla scents is Vanigila Del Madagascar. Expensive, but worth every penny! If you like more mysterious incense-y yet sweet scents, Onyx perfume oil by Sage is amazing! Great price for all of the fragrances by Sage.

stephanie -July 19, 2013, 4:08PM

I read an article that suggested storing perfume in the refrigerator to extend the life, haven’t tried it but I’m interested if that would work or not.

Kaitlyn K -July 20, 2013, 2:01PM

If you dab a little Vaseline (petroleum jelly) on the inside of your wrist or elbow, then rub your perfume into that, it will last longer than 24 hours. I usually have to wash it off before bed or it bothers me while I sleep cause its too strong. Totally works, everyone knows my signature scent :)

Gin-marie Gerdis -July 20, 2013, 5:36PM

First. ALWAYS APPLY TO HAIR..just a light spritz or if u don’t have an atomizer bottle, get a drop on your palmand massage it in to the underside of your hair. The protein in your hair retains the scent molecules much longer than skin. Apply it to hair.n the morning and you’ll likely smell it as you’re going to bed.
Next…Apply more heavily to your ankles,calves,even dab on the bottom seam at end of your jeans..(one of the few fabrics that can take it…don’t want to stain any.nice slacks. As scent disperses, it rises; after the scent on your neck fades, you’ll still be catching it waft up from your ankles ; ).

Olivia -July 22, 2013, 4:59AM

I like adding a little spritz onto my hair brush right before I use it. The oils in your absorb the scent and you get the perfect amount of smell.

Marla -July 28, 2013, 12:44PM

Thanks for taking the time to post this tip! I’d forgotten about the pulse points.

Gracia Hommen -August 15, 2013, 6:42PM

My favorite scent right now is Alien made by Thierry Mugler. It is opposite of their popular brand Angel.

Meg -August 21, 2013, 8:14PM

Love it! I just bought Laugh with me Leelee by benefit and I’m obsessed.

Ty Daniels -October 7, 2013, 6:23AM

Imy new best fragrance is Gucci Guilty is really lovely

Anonymous -October 19, 2013, 10:47AM

Viva la juicy and vetiver

anonymous -October 29, 2013, 6:58PM

I spray a cotton ball with the perfume of the day (I don’t have a favorite I just pick one and spray) and put it in my bra the scent lasts much longer.

tech blog -December 4, 2013, 1:26PM

Hello just wanted to give you a quick heads up.
The words in your article seem to be running off the screen in Ie.

I’m not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with
internet browser compatibility but I figured I’d post to let you
know. The design look great though! Hope you get the
issue resolved soon. Cheers

Travelling Blog -December 11, 2013, 1:22PM

Great tips. I travel a lot, and blog about it too. Travelling can often be tiring actually with skin getting dull and dry, no wonder the perfumes all gone. Great suggestions. Thankx.
Sanara

stephanie -December 30, 2013, 6:17PM

I use Bath and Body Works stuff and with these tips i have made them last a lot longer!

Deborah -January 6, 2014, 3:04PM

I have a new business now I have a new scent of medina and rain and poppy and use a musk I want to know whrn putting a red volor in clear oils togethet and the red on top would you use food color or a powet color in it need yout in put so I can movr on

Vanessa -January 14, 2014, 1:19AM

I use One Direction:Our memories. Smells so good!!!!!!!!!!

Vanessa -January 14, 2014, 1:22AM

Sorry It’s one direction: Our moment. U should all try it. I bought mine at Macy’s and cost me $60. I thought it wouldnt be that great but turned out that it is. I read an article and said that it’s in the #1 most sold fragrance and best fragrance too. Go to macys and check it out. ;)

anonomus -January 14, 2014, 7:47AM

Love it

lorna -January 18, 2014, 6:06AM

Escada born in paradise is my go to perfume so suttle

Jason Sather -January 26, 2014, 7:36AM

This is a wonderful blog post. Here you’ll find the latest and most accurate information on the best mens cologne. Best Mens Cologne HQ website is solely dedicated to men’s to make them aware about to choose best men’s cologn that is mostly like by every woman. Thank you for sharing valuable information.

Amanda -February 9, 2014, 7:29AM

Instead of rubbing my wrists together I always pat them, and sometimes on the inside of my ankles. My favorite perfume is Amor Amor, but I need to get another bottle.

Glam Perfume Oil -February 24, 2014, 9:06PM

Great blog post! Perfume oils last longer, are richer and impart a deeper, more authentic scent than the traditional perfume because it has no fillers which are in the real perfumes. Please check us out on http://www.glamperfumeoil.com.

Denish -February 26, 2014, 2:45AM

I see – its a great post which is showing all informative things.
Very easy to make perfume myself.
I tried something and its really works

Cheers !

Rocío -March 9, 2014, 1:17PM

Thank you for the advice… Also… Does anyone know from where those gray booties are from? They’re adorable,.. Thanks :) !!

sonia sanches -March 11, 2014, 11:58PM

Yes good idea.daisy is also beautiful.expensive and long lasting now I know.how to make my perfume last thanks.

Edo_U -March 17, 2014, 5:14PM

I know my mom always tell my sisters not to rub perfume it will last longer :D I guess she was right!

Sprinkler Repair Aurora CO -March 20, 2014, 8:54PM

Greate article. Keep writing such kind of information on
your page. Im really impressed by your site.
Hey there, You’ve done an excellent job. I will certainly digg it and for my part suggest to my friends.
I am sure they will be benefited from this web site.

Dane Lytle -March 28, 2014, 7:48PM

Great article. I try to suggest ways for people to apply their fragrances and I’ve been told I’m an idiot. thanks for proving me right!

Elena @ cologneboutique.com -March 31, 2014, 5:05AM

Applying the same-scent lotion will certainly help the cologne to last longer… it doesn’t mean you have to apply just any lotion you’ve got, mixing the scents is the way to disaster!

Ani Hilston -April 12, 2014, 10:23AM

WAowww.. :D <3 what an idea… I am not so old but … now i will try on my school days ….
very nice thing.. Nice way to make your body .. Fresh hmmmm
Thankyou Dear..
Ani Hilston

Mr. K -April 13, 2014, 10:48AM

Irony. Some people want to prolong their exposure to the toxic chemicals they spray on their body while others are so sick from those hundreds of toxic chemicals, they will do anything to stay away from those people whose chemicals make them sick.

Dwayne -April 13, 2014, 2:25PM

This is a wonderful blog post. Here you’ll find the latest and most accurate information on the best mens cologne. http://www.bestcologneformenguide.com website is solely dedicated to men’s to make them aware about to choose best men’s cologn that is mostly like by every woman. Thank you for sharing valuable information.

plants vs zombies garden Warfare hack -April 16, 2014, 12:25AM

Hi! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and say I truly enjoy reading through your articles.
Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with the same topics?
Thanks a lot!

spence diamonds district manager -April 19, 2014, 3:35AM

What’s Happening i am new to this, I stumbled upon
this I’ve discovered It absolutely helpful and it has helped
me out loads. I’m hoping to contribute & assist other users
like its aided me. Great job.

hack hotmail Account -April 21, 2014, 5:50AM

hey there and thank you for your info – I’ve certainly picked up anything new from right here.
I did however expertise several technical points using this web site,
as I experienced to reload the web site a
lot of times previous to I could get it to load correctly. I
had been wondering if your web host is OK? Not that I’m complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will
sometimes affect your placement in google and can
damage your high-quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords.
Well I’m adding this RSS to my e-mail and could look out for much more of your respective exciting content.
Make sure you update this again soon.