4 Easy Ways To Help Your Face Overnight

Post image for 4 Easy Ways To Help Your Face Overnight

Winter really takes a toll on our skin. It cracks, flakes and chaps as we are met by cold and windy weather. I have always had an issue with dry skin in the area surrounding my lips, and I have been trying to find some natural ways to help cure this. I never seem to have time (or remember) to do anything for this in the morning, so overnight tricks are always what I try to look for. It’s so easy to apply something at night, and then wake up to results.

This winter, give your face a little TLC with these 4 simple recipes!

almond oil and lemon

Lemon + Almond Oil Astringent

This is one of my favorites because it helps get rid of something we all hate — dark under eye circles! Combine fresh lemon juice with a few drops of almond oil and mix together. Apply the mixture underneath your eyes before you go to bed to wake up feeling fresh without those annoying dark circles!

tomato and honey

Tomato + Honey Paste

Cut up a slice of tomato and mix it with a little bit of honey. Once a thick paste forms, apply this on your face before you go to bed. (If you have white sheets, you may want to lay a towel down on your pillow to prevent any staining.)  Tomatoes contain high levels of vitamins and minerals that are great for the face. Wash the paste off in the morning when you wake, and you will have fresh, glowing skin throughout the day!

oats and honey

Oats + Honey Mask

This mask is great for moisturizing dry skin and very convenient since honey and oats are quite common in the kitchen. The two ingredients are safe for all skin types, and the oats will act to soothe rough skin. Mix together equal parts of honey and oats until a thick paste has formed. Apply evenly to the face while gently scrubbing in a circular motion. Wash off in the morning for smooth, moisturized skin!

coconut oil and teabtree

Coconut Oil + Tea Tree Oil

When these two oils are combined, it produces a serum that will help reduce redness in rashes and acne. The antiseptic properties will help to treat and prevent blemishes that appear on the face. Mix a few drops of tea tree oil to a spoonful of coconut oil and combine until a clear serum has formed. Spread evenly on the face before bed and wash off in the morning!

Check out some more overnight beauty tips.

Follow FP Jana on Twitter.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Comments

Madisyn Fecko -January 9, 2014, 8:28AM

This post is just what I’ve been needing!

<3 <3

Annejelina -January 9, 2014, 9:48AM

I love DIY skin care! I’ve been doing the oil cleansing method for a little while now and it’s amazing!! I’m def gonna try the tomato and honey one :) I’ve read that tomatoes are really good for the skin. Thanks for the post!
Xoxo Annejelina

Visit my shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/CrownofCreationShop

Juliette Laura -January 9, 2014, 9:54AM

All such perfect DIY solutions! Love it!

xo, Juliette Laura

Aki Nishidake -January 9, 2014, 10:39AM

Also another good DIY is lemon and honey together, it brightens your skin while fading blemishes and scars.

Michelle Collins -January 9, 2014, 11:23AM

Just in time!!! I just started the OCM (Oil Cleansing Method) and wanted more natural treatments to try.

Thanks!

Roxy -January 9, 2014, 11:40AM

Thanks soo much for the coconut & Tea tree oil mask idea. I love coconut oil as my daily moisturizer, and it smells amazing

Felicia -January 9, 2014, 1:06PM

Be careful when using some of these recipes! Lemon juice has a pH of 2, for comparison, gastric acid ( stomach acid) is 1. So we’re looking at a pretty acidic and low pH… Hence it stings when you apply it. Aside from the stinging, lemon juice will seriously dry skin out in addition to making it photosensitive. Citrus fruit juice has a pH of about 2-3, and that makes it likely to cause things such as: skin irritation, sun sensitivity, and skin hyperpigmentation. Citric acid is found in citrus fruits at a concentration of about 5-10%, high enough to possibly lead to these side effects, especially in sensitive or broken skin. So it’s really not the best for chapped lips. Overall, if you’re dead seat on using lemon juice, do not do it all the time and definitely dilute it. Also, please do not leave it on over night. (http://www.reddit.com/r/SkincareAddiction/comments/13wz1y/psa_lemons_and_limes_great_for_food_not_for_skin/c780v6y)

Coconut oil is a miracle product, but it is comedogenic. That means that some skin types maybe actually see an increase in acne when using coconut oil. You should do a patch test before you use coconut oil on your face to make sure you don’t wake up with a face full of zits. (https://www.beneficialbotanicals.com/facts-figures/comedogenic-rating.html)

Tea tree oil is excellent as well, but it should be diluted (using it in conjunction with coconut oil or any other carrier oil should be fine) before it is applied to the skin. Otherwise you run the risk of giving yourself a chemical burn.

I really love reading this blog, but sometimes the DIY advice given here is so wrong. Just because something is natural does not mean it is better for you.

fp jana -January 9, 2014, 2:34PM

Thank you for the advice, Felicia!

brittnee -January 9, 2014, 2:38PM

Totally agree with Felicia!! Not to rain on your parade but what she say’s is the truth. It’s not the best thing for certain blogs and a big advocate is Pinterest to give not so good for you DIY. Many people can have a reaction and you can cause it to be irritated and sensitive. She either has a lot of knowledge about skin or is an Esthetician like me. So please be careful for what you are putting on your skin!! Coconut oil is great for your body but too heavy for the face. I see so many blogs and DIY that say coconut oil is the best, when really it’s too rich for that area especially if you are not prone to acne but put it all over your face & in the eye area, it will cause Milia.

Milka -January 9, 2014, 4:22PM

Wow, the last two comments make it sound like this post is trying to poison people. I have extremely sensitive, acne prone skin and have tried most of the methods stated in the post above with great success for years. Especially coconut oil, I can not do with out coconut oil and, yes, I put it right on my face, body, hair, everywhere and have not had break outs. Actually, it wasn’t until I stopped treating my skin with anti-acne products and started nourishing it instead that I got rid of my acne. What gives me milia is any conventional eye cream I’ve ever used, so I started using oils instead and my skin has never looked better. I mix almond oil with my lotion. I mix coconut oil and raw shea butter for extra dry spots. I mix Argan oil with my daytime moisturizer and avocado oil with my night time cream. When my face needs an extra boost I apply coconut oil first. I make my own diaper ointment for my baby using various oils and herbs and a few drops of Tea Tree Oil to fight yeast diaper rash and regular rashes and it’s miraculous. So don’t be afraid to experiment. I’m not trying to discount the advice of the ladies above. As with anything, you should be careful, everyone’s skin is different and may react differently, but unless you have an allergic reaction to any of the ingredients above, I highly doubt that some natural oils and produce will harm anybody. These recipes are fantastic and I’m looking forward to try the Tomato Honey one.

Jessica -January 9, 2014, 4:33PM

I love tea tree essential oil! I make my own facial astringent with a few drops of it, apple cider vinegar (which is great for balancing out your skin’s pH), and water. I’ve also started the oil-cleansing method a few weeks ago and add a couple of drops of the tea tree to my oil mixture.

Megan -January 9, 2014, 7:57PM

doTERRA is the best essential oil brand you can purchase. Just like anything, food, cosmetics, other products, not all essential oils are created equal. Some contain fillers and chemicals. Check out doTERRA’s website to learn more

Anonymous -January 9, 2014, 8:15PM

This is so helpful thanks :). Just curious as to how comfortable is it to sleep in these masks? Just wondering before I try it myself. Thanks!

Leeandra -January 10, 2014, 8:22AM

Love the tips..but just curious. Would applying the tea tree and coconut oil to my face clog my pores and cause break outs ?

heather -January 10, 2014, 9:52AM

Omg. Do NOT put lemon near your eyes.

Brittnee -January 10, 2014, 2:40PM

The most annoying thing is when people try to tell you something that is completely wrong. I’m sorry but I actually went to school for Esthetics so I’m pretty sure i have way more knowledge about the skin. Unless you spent hours & hours learning each layer of skin, diseases & infections, in depth skin analysis, about 200+ ingredients, acne, aging, scarring, age spots, post-inflammatory hyper pigmentation, the Fitz Patrick scale, the list goes on and on. On top of that I work at the best beauty store in the Industry, Sephora, getting trained in a variety of skincare brands. I don’t know what you do for work but you probably have a lot of knowledge in it right? Maybe went to school and got a degree? Ya so I would actually trust you in what you were saying to me because obviously your the expert with knowledge and a lot of experience. Same thing here, we weren’t trying to poison anyone, really? dramatic much? It’s called having knowledge and knowing what’s right & wrong. Your face cleared up because you probably where causing your acne by using the wrong products in the first place. Drugstore I assume? or even if you did go to nordstrom, Sephora, ect you probably didn’t ask anyone to help you out and picked out the wrong products. Most people don’t know what they are actually using because they don’t know ingredients. You don’t even have the knowledge of the right preservatives and what mixes the products and makes oil and water mesh. There are certain solubles that are good and bad. Which most lower end products pick the cheapest ones which is not good for your skin. In the long run you will see the affects of the very comedogenic coconut oil and since you know so much about Milia … if you had it i would love to hear your method of getting rid of it? My point is i know what I’am talking about because these are facts and if you were in the beauty industry specifically in the skincare world you would know the true facts as well no matter if something worked for you or not you have no idea what’s going on under neath your skin and what is yet to come up in a new layer which sometimes it takes a long time . I literally just had personal testimony about lemon, aspirin and apple cider vinegar, my face completely dried out. It was flaking off and also the lemon burned my skin causing red patches. Which i still do some DIY because i know what i’m doing and the actual advantages. Aspirin is basically pure Salicylic acid which is why you see immediate results kind of like a peel. The apple cider vinegar helps with oil production and any breakout or future break out & lemon helps brightening a long with pure vitamin C which is also great for resurfaces and helps with aging. But the last time i did it I left it on for too long resulting in those affects. So that comment above was helping people out that it’s not the best to put it on your face because it can have these results. It’s better to find an oil or serum that is a pure concentrate of vitamin c if you want the benefits and brightening. That’s why for me I will never put pure lemon juice on my face again it’s way too harsh.

Andrea -January 10, 2014, 3:22PM

jeez relax everyone. everyones skin behavior is different. its not like we’re all gonna go home and mindlessly squirt lemon under our eyes; its all in moderation. Clearly its a little bit of lemon mixed along with something else. I have sensitive skin, but i use lemon mixtures very often following moisturizer of course & also if you know you’re very sensitive to lemon don’t leave it on all night maybe just before bed. i personally love lemon & honey,or mixing tea tee oil with a little olive oil or mixing a drop of tea tree oil with Trader Joe’s enhance moisturizer. YEESHH! everyone get to know your skin a little better before putting anything on your face of course but calm down.

Kelly Louise -January 10, 2014, 3:29PM

I will most definitely be using these. Having problems adjusting to the cold weather this year for some reason…

Milka -January 10, 2014, 3:32PM

Brittnee, first of all, chill out lady, I didn’t say anyone is trying to poison people. Now, let re-mentioned some of the things I said earlier. I DID say that I wasn’t discounting your advice and that people SHOULD be careful what they use or put on their skin because everyone is different and may react differently. Second, yes, I do have a degree in biology and bio-chemistry so I do now a little about chemicals and the biggest organ our bodies have, the skin. Third, I DID mentioned that I was talking about MY personal experience, I was in no way generalizing or making blanket statements. Lastly, stop using medicated acne products was the advice of my dermatologist who suggested a more holistic approach which worked wonders FOR ME. Also, if you must know, when it comes to skin care I have used the best and most expensive the market has to offer and, yes, I have tried some drugstore products. I finally settled on Dermalogica because it works for ME. So you see, you shouldn’t make assumptions and don’t take thing so personally either. It wasn’t a personal attack and again I WASN’T discounting your professional advice. Namaste.

Brittnee -January 10, 2014, 5:22PM

First of all, please refer to your first sentence on your first comment. That’s exactly what you said which is why it bothered me. The thing is that I’m extremely passionate about my job & career. I help change peoples lives to feel more confident and beautiful in there skin. Although make up is great, it’s so much better to feel confident without it. When a client comes to me that has struggled with acne for her whole life and i direct her to her needs of different products in our store, and she comes back to me in a month almost crying telling me thank you because she has never felt so beautiful that is what absolutely love. Or when clients come in telling me how knowledgeable I’ am and how passionate I get by genuinely helping them it just always reminds me of how much I love what I do. Overall all I’m trying to do is help people, and I have knowledge with the skin & skincare. My comment & the women above me were only trying to help others. Your comment back was negative in my opinion which is why I commented back the way I did, it may work for you the coconut oil, the avocado oil, but make no mistake facts are facts the skin may not react but it is too heavy for our face. It annoys me when Coconut oil is everywhere on these DIY, it just takes one wrong person which is normally the stage 2-4 acne client to really mess up there skin for a while if they try it. That’s what I’m saying. The lemon is another story, if you dilute it enough and have it on for a decent amount of time it’s not too bad. It won’t breakout you that’s for sure. But the best thing would be to get a product because those things could happen and our skin’s pH changes and how is someone that has no knowledge of skin going to neutralize it back? And let me rephrase this, I love this blog and some DIY can work like the aspirin & apple cider vinegar. Some DIY recipes on this post will work great like honey & oats. So so so hydrating for our thirsty skin. A lot of brands are trying to put more honey in there products (specifically manuka) because it’s so great. You took are warnings and our knowledgeable facts about coconut oil the wrong way is what i’m saying. I only targeted those to ingredients out of all of these recipes.

Brittnee -January 10, 2014, 5:40PM

Also you said that the oils helped clear your acne yet your using Dermalogica? I know everything about that brand because I worked with it all through school. It has a lot of pure active ingredients with the best ones being AHAs and BHAs (salicylic acid) in pretty much every single one of there lines. So that is what cleared it not your heavy coconut oil. Just don’t give advice that you don’t know about, saying I’m sure oils won’t harm anybody. Yes it will. Coconut oil, it’s so heavy and can defiantly be compared to mineral oil which don’t even get me started how bad that is.

Brittnee -January 10, 2014, 5:59PM

I don’t why it wouldn’t let me post this in one comment but Lastly, let me ask you this….. if coconut oil was so great for your face why wouldn’t it be in skincare products!? Lemon great, Vitamin C is everywhere in products. Oats… everywhere in products, Honey starting to be added to products. Why isn’t coconut oil or avocado oil? Because no skincare brand will ever put that in there product because they have the knowledge to know that it is not good for your face. Go to your local wholefoods, Sephora, Nordstrom, hate to say it but EVEN drugstore look at the back… nothing carries coconut oil. It will have safflower oil, sunflower oil, jojoba oil ect. The healthy non-comedogenic oils for you. Just think about that and maybe some people will finally realize they shouldn’t believe everything they hear or read off the internet.

Amber -January 10, 2014, 10:07PM

There is a brand built around coconut…RMS Beauty. Not skincare products but makeup products. Love them!!!

Brittnee -January 11, 2014, 5:26AM

Make up is different, not surprised at all they would use Coconut oil. A lot of make up brands use mineral oil which is the worst one you could use. Make up brands aren’t targeting to treat the skin just to cover it up. Unless you go and get an actual make up that is made by a dermatologist like Cover FX than you would see no oils at all in those ones. If you love it that’s great! Many of my friends still use Mac aka macne…. It’s just if they have problem skin I would not recommend it. My goal is to help clear up the skin and make people feel like they don’t have to hide behind make up, so if i notice they are using a very comedogenic make up or skincare regiment than that’s when I would step in to help them fix the conditions with there skin if asked. But if your happy with how your skin is & love that brand than more power to ya!

Erin Hawkins -January 11, 2014, 8:00PM

Who needs the health and beauty isle in stores when you have this blog! Thanks for the tips! This may just in my head, but I swear my body feels so different when I use natural products and nothing with warnings on the back! :)

xo,

Erin

katie -January 12, 2014, 6:53PM

I swear by coconut oil! It’s so rejuvenating. Thanks for posting these other alternatives!! Can’t wait to try.

katie at http://bluepoppyblog.com

Milka -January 12, 2014, 9:26PM

Britnnee, I find that you are too confrontational and I can no longer have a conversation with you, may be that “pasion” you talk about. However, I’ll answer your questions as a last effort. I started using Dermalogica about a year ago, long, looong after my acne cleared. I just use one product from them, the daytime moisturizer, and that’s it. I like it because of its anti-aging properties. Acne was no longer a concern of mine when I got that one bottle of Dermalogica moisturizer. I’ve been putting coconut, avocado and other oils on my face for about five years now. Why aren’t these oils in skin care products? I don’t know, but they have worked wonders for ME. The only advice I gave, and I’ll give it again, was that people should not be affraid to experiment, if it doesn’t work then don’t do it again, but it might work like it did for me. I’m sorry it bothers you, but all those heavy oils just do it for me and it might work for other people too.

Milka -January 12, 2014, 10:25PM

Britnnee, I’ve been thinking back on our conversation, trying to figure out how I might’ve contributed to the misunderstanding and to be fair to you there are some points I need to clarify. First, I don’t use coconut oil on my face everyday, day and night. As I mentioned before I only do it when my face is feeling unusually dry. Also, I live in the Southwestern desert where there’s 0% humidity. When I lived in FL with 100% humidity I didn’t use coconut oil on my face because I didn’t need it. So, again to be fair to you I can see the validity of your points about coconut oil being to heavy for most people. I hope this will appease you.

Brittnee -January 13, 2014, 5:35PM

Milka, I’m not trying to fight over a blog or at all. Like i said before that comment you said about poisoning people didn’t set well because it was rude. Overall my opinion does not change about these type of natural remedies that use heavy oils it makes me laugh that people are like oh i would never put mineral oil on my face because it’s comedongenic yet there putting the next heavy comedogenic oils on there skin? If it’s not causing a problem now it will later it’s inevitable it is too heavy for the our delicate skin on our face. If people haven’t had a problem with it, it’s because they do not have a high stage of acne or already have normal to dry skin type so obviously you wouldn’t see a bad reaction to it because you already have clear skin. That is all. People will do whatever they want so i’m done responding it’s your skin.

Char -January 15, 2014, 11:29AM

Milka,

Thanks for these! My skin is dry and the coconut oil and tea tree oil is perfect! Forget the haters….

Brittnee -January 17, 2014, 3:50PM

uh there are no haters sweetie just educated people that want to help others :)

kim -January 18, 2014, 10:17PM

no boo you def are “educating” with a heavy side order of SHADE. It’s great to be knowledgable but if you can’t teach and reach respectfully and politely then what’s the point. I hope this isn’t how you talk to your clients.
The respectful thing to do would have been for you to at the very least just start your own blog/site and not come on here and be argumentative.

shallan -January 20, 2014, 12:08PM

for the almond oil and lemon tip can I replace the lemon for lime? and would it still work xx

Julie -January 27, 2014, 9:57PM

Nobody likes a know-it-all, brit.

GINNI -February 1, 2014, 5:33PM

After reading all of this, I need one of those detox baths! lol Overall, you all are right about testing on our own skin. I am sooo excited about all of these recipes and advice about “natural” ingredients. All we have to do is go on SkinDeep.com to find that most products on the market, when tested scientifically, there are way too many toxins and harmful chemicals in most beauty of them. It is fun to get back to basics. Talk about heavy oil, my mom used to put Crisco on her face in the evening…I wouldn’t do it, but her skin was great!

Amber F -February 2, 2014, 2:43PM

Unfortunately I cant use coconut oil, store brand products or dermologica because they all break me out! :( I just use a hydrating water oil and a moisturizer! It’s done wonders and my cystic acne I dealt with for years is gone! :)

Amber F -February 2, 2014, 2:46PM

But I’m glad those products work for people! I wish I could use them! I can’t use RMS either :( what is milia?

Lisa B -February 5, 2014, 8:08PM

I was an aesthetician for years. I can relate to some of what was said, but definitely not the tone. There are some things to be aware of, and my training helped me to be knowledgeable. However, my training, like the western medical field, placed a high dependence on the NEED for man made products, pushed by profit pushing corporations. I found that the basics one would need to take care of their own skin (outside of a major issue) can be found on the internet and at the library for free, with rarely a need for the other information, again, outside of a major issue. It was this indoctrination about the necessity of certain products, and my work in market research, that forced me to take a good look at the influences behind why we use what we use. It brought up questions about why things couldn’t be done more naturally, and thus cheaper in almost every instance. Over the last year, I have moved almost entirely to making my own body and home care products, and I couldn’t be happier, healthier, and more relieved; I feel I am less at risk to introducing disease causing elements into my body. The bottom line is, do your own research, and follow your gut. Not everything is great for every season, but not everything’s ‘label’ holds true for everyone, either.

sara -February 21, 2014, 1:48AM

lisa,
would you be willing to share your tips? what would you recommend to balance pH levels? I have oily skin on my T zone and dry skin on my cheeks…i don’t understand?! I’d really love ANYONE to help explain. what am i doing wrong…or lack there of?

sara -February 21, 2014, 1:52AM

also, wondering where Free People find their sources? :) thanks!

Michele -March 4, 2014, 11:41PM

I have had problem skin for most of my adult life and have tried everything from expensive to homemade, but let me tell you the tea tree oil and coconut oil, two things I always have in my house, has worked wonders for my skin! First it brings everything to the surface, then dries it out with barely no redness or flakiness at all and to top it off my post acne hyperpigmentation is almost gone! It takes a good week or so but now I look and feel like a new woman! A true miracle… Thank you so much!!!

Tiami -March 25, 2014, 3:43PM

Brittnee as knowledgeable as u may be I hesitate to take your comments to heart even though they may be true just because of the WAY that you put it across. I agree it is far too confrontational. I would however like to thank the participants of this blog for their posts as I found these recipes very good and look forward to trying them all.

Cindy -March 30, 2014, 5:10PM

I love essential oils. I have extremely dry, itchy skin and was so happy to find this balm with tea tree oil, green tea, lavender oil, olive oil, beeswax, wheatgerm, and more. It works great on chapped hands, heels, lips, and also is great for bug bites. Chamuel Tea Tree Balm sells at Amazon…they have great customer service and have 5 star reviews! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FKNC2WG

Kelly -May 14, 2014, 12:19AM

take a science class that’s not at a beauty school then i’ll respect your opinion Brittnee. Of course Sephora is going to brainwash you to think that the only way to perfect skin is buying their products. NEWSFLASH chemicals cause cancer and cancer isnt cute. Natural can be an answer to a glowing chemical free face. manmade sephora $50 face wash with clay from the sea of Timbuckto can help too. Don’t beat up on Milka. Also stop saying “Comedogenic”- no ones impressed with the one anatomical word beauty school taught you

Kelly -May 14, 2014, 12:21AM

Sorry that was mean but you were being such a know it all brat. Sephora should be embarressed this is how youre advertising their company to potenial customers

Sarah -May 17, 2014, 3:33AM

I have used some variations of these masks in the past. Mostly I would leave the concoction on for about 15-20 minutes. I have very oily and acne prone skin. Honey was a miracle. I went on Amazon and bought all natural honey and mixed it with small amounts of lemon. It really helped to calm my face when it was achy and irritated from all the acne. It also did help with scaring and discoloration.
I do also love tea tree oil, it worked wonders to not only clean but reduce inflimation of those big painful pimples.
I think some of the previous posts are correct about using some of these products on your face but it is just like anything, everyone’s skin will react differently. So just be cautious and find what works for you!

cindy -May 18, 2014, 12:32AM

For the lemon and almond oil, could you substitute the oil?

lucy -June 4, 2014, 8:50AM

I use ground coffee to scrub my face. I wet my face and scrub plain old coffee on it. Smells good. Skins beautiful. I also wash my hair with bicarb and rinse with apple cider vingar. X o

acne prone skin -July 15, 2014, 10:40AM

Thanks for the tips! This may just in my head, but I swear my body feels so different when I use natural products and nothing with warnings on the back! .
Thanks for these!

Lan -July 23, 2014, 2:50PM

Hi Brittnee! I was just curious.. i have been using St.Ives green tea wash, and occasionally use a drop of lemon oil in with the wash.. then i follow with 100% pure almond oil as a moisturizer…. is this a safe and affective method to be using on my skin? Are there any risks involved with using almond oil? Thanks!